|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/21 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

....Moisheh: an astounding 90% of the Canadian population live within 100 miles of the US border. Only 11 ~ 12% of Americans live within 100 miles of the Canadian border. Appx 12% of Canadians live in the USA (live in, not visiting). Appx 400,000 cross the Canadian/US/Canadian border daily (not weekly!) in pre-Covid times (all the above from a 2017 article in the International Business Times (a subscription only journal)).

Anyone: take a look at any road map, and tell me how many highways (interstates) traverse Canada west/east/west ?

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/21 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Silver. I am convinced you have a Doctorate in statistics. I love those posts! As for Canadian highways we are not known as road builders. We can skin a moose, trap a beaver and make great Poutine but forget about making decent highways.

* This post was edited 10/08/21 12:38pm by moisheh *

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/21 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moisheh:

...my specialization is in spatial (geographic) analysis. Geospatial analytics. This can entail analyzing epidemiological data geospatially; all the way to aerially collected hyperspectral analysis of Earth surface mineral deposits. To the best location to build a new Walmart supercenter. Traffic network analysis (road system vehicle routing problem solving)...etc.

There isn't anything to be said about Canadian west/east/west interstate roadways, but be have the old stand-by: railroads LOL. Look at the US interstate system: I-10, I-20, I-40, I-70, I-80, I-90 (all west/east/west). Then add all the north/south US interstates. I-15, I-25, I-35, I-55 etc...Canada's population is about ~11.5% that of the US presently, but they (the US) have just under 48,000 miles of interstate system; compared to Canada's one single Trans Canada highway....and that is not even a divided multi-lane freeway for most of its length....IN 2021! The main Trans Canada artery coast-to-coast is only 4645 miles. A few short "real" divided freeways exist linking large cities in all 10 Provinces to US interstates...but their length is very short, reflecting the fact that 90% + of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US border. Train lines (and a few logging truck routes) exist to move raw oil, ore, trees (for later cutting into lumber) southward.

Imagine how expensive it is to move a 20 foot container-load of Chinese-made T-shirts or running shoes in port at Vancouver, shipped by road, all the way to Quebec and Maritimes, thousands of miles ? Walmart USA (metaphor for all consumables) ships all this stuff to Canada's Walmarts, straight up from south to north....not across Canada Vancouver to Quebec.

Anyhow, this is a long-winded post showing how, without the US, Canada couldn't function as tiny "island economies" each separated latitudinally by ~600 miles of nothing, functioning but as a hewer of wood, and pumper of oil (notwithstanding post-industrial era Canada's finance, real estate and insurance industries, and the IT companies providing the contracted back-office processing). This will be very contentious among Canadians, but maybe better to have 4 countries (BC+Alberta; Central West; Ontario; Quebec+Maritimes), each with their own trade deal with the US, with Euro-zone like free unimpeded migration (ie. no border with the US for Canadians, and visa-versa for US nationals), and a health care system modeled after the UK's. Today, all our Provinces compete against each other (Canada has a "free trade agreement" with ITSELF, did you know? The C-FTA Canada free trade agreement, as of July 2017) Imagine??

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/21 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People here in Mexico would love for the U.S. border to be open as well.

"The economies of U.S. border communities have suffered losses of US $10 billion since March 2020 due to the inability of many Mexicans to cross the border to go shopping, eat in restaurants and fill up their cars, according to a study by José Iván Rodríguez Sanchez of the Baker Institute Center for the United States and Mexico at Rice University in Texas."

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/08/21 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Border communities like Nogales az suffer. Even the merchants in Tucson rely on Mexican customers. No one in the US is safer with the border closed.

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/21 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moisheh, I'm going from Vancouver to Baja and back. For shipping a car, the closest return airport on Mex side is TIJ. All commercial flights from TIJ to USA go via Mexico city or Guadalajara, 10 hours trip to LAX.
Flight TIJ-Vancouver via the same Mexico city is only 1.5 hour longer, might as well forget about car. Going South is easier yet, direct flight Vancouver - San Diego.

Calexico isn't bad for driving to Vancouver from, but again, all commercial flights to the US from Mexicali go via major hubs like Guadalajara or Mexico city. Minimum 10 hours flight to the closest commercial airport. Need a charter, but this route is not as heavily trafficked as Can/US border where shared charters are full every day and therefore cheap. Car shipping and charter sucks anyway, much pain, much time lost.

Maybe I will be able to drive North in Spring, maybe not, who can tell? There is some logic in domestic restrictions in Canada - doesn't bother me, I'm vaccinated. But there is no logic in keeping the US border closed. It hurts both economies and has nothing to do with the epidemic, there are 4 times less new cases per capita in Canada than in the US.

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/21 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silversand wrote:

this is interesting, a *charter* from Tijuana TIJ to SDM municipal (just a 14 minute flight). On a twin turboprop Beechcraft King Air 90 today; the company owning the aircraft is: TVPX AIRCRAFT SOLUTIONS INC:

Takeoff:

TIJ
TIJUANA, MEXICO
FRIDAY 08-OCT-2021
17:10 PDT

Landing:

SDM
SAN DIEGO, CA
FRIDAY 08-OCT-2021
17:24 PDT

The tail number on this aircraft is: N94BA
All this aircraft's registration, ownership and details are here-->

Interesting. How do you find these flights? Charters that I could find in TIJ don't tell anything until you fill the form with your name, date, email and number of passengers. If they only fly on-demand and the demand is low, it means you either pay for all 7-8 seats or get marooned in Tijuana until somebody else flies - and then maybe pay for return empty leg too. Flightradar 24 shows that last time they flew this route 2 days ago, so not the highest demand.

* This post was edited 10/09/21 08:56pm by Almot *

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/21 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe we should be thinking out of the box. How about going by the sea? San Diego to Ensenada is 60 nautical miles. Disney has a 2 day cruise. There is no shuttle and I think only a cruise is acceptable. American flies from HMO to PHX. So near and yet so far.

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/21 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"End Of U.S. Travel Ban Hits Complications–Might It Be Delayed?" https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexledsom/2021/10/10/end-of-us-travel-ban-hits-complicationsmight-it-be-delayed/amp/

Although the above is about flights it probably applies to land borders. Not looking good. At this rate it might never open.

rocmoc

SouthWest USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/21 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I said before watch the Southern Border USA immigration issue. Until there is some resolution, the border will remain closed via CDC covid health order. Again local Network News reports are not good about problems on the AZ/MX border. The border is going to closed until 2022 or later unless there is a successful court challenge to the CDC Order. OR US Congress takes up the immigration issue, which maybe never. AND CDC can't justify closing one border without closing the other. That is real life in the USA!

rocmoc n Th SouthWest.

* This post was edited 10/10/21 07:17pm by rocmoc *

rocmoc n Southern AZ/Mexico

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.