|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/21 12:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

moisheh wrote:

"End Of U.S. Travel Ban Hits Complications–Might It Be Delayed?" https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexledsom/........ts-complicationsmight-it-be-delayed/amp/

Although the above is about flights it probably applies to land borders. Not looking good. At this rate it might never open.

I told you, they are not ready [emoticon].

FB group on CAN-US border issues are talking about US struggling to meet Canadian PCR test requirement, people tested within 72 hours can't get results before their flight (or Americans now before their drive to Canada), or can't get an appointment on time, many locations are appointment-only. UK require PCR test too. This is still not the reason for land border closure, car traveller has no flight to miss, will spend another day in the US and drive. Just shows that they are not prepared.

I'm not buying the relation to South border illegal immigrants, those are not using designated crossings or documents. Might cause the shortage of manpower at the North border, but the main problem is they are not prepared to process legal travellers under these new conditions.

Meanwhile, cheap car-shipping at BC-WA border is sold-out until December. Bidbuy is available but not cheap, $890 for just a car without RV, plus $510 for 3-seat air charter.

playaboy

riviera maya

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/21 05:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almot wrote:

moisheh wrote:

"End Of U.S. Travel Ban Hits Complications–Might It Be Delayed?" https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexledsom/........ts-complicationsmight-it-be-delayed/amp/

Although the above is about flights it probably applies to land borders. Not looking good. At this rate it might never open.

I told you, they are not ready [emoticon].

FB group on CAN-US border issues are talking about US struggling to meet Canadian PCR test requirement, people tested within 72 hours can't get results before their flight (or Americans now before their drive to Canada), or can't get an appointment on time, many locations are appointment-only. UK require PCR test too. This is still not the reason for land border closure, car traveller has no flight to miss, will spend another day in the US and drive. Just shows that they are not prepared.

I'm not buying the relation to South border illegal immigrants, those are not using designated crossings or documents. Might cause the shortage of manpower at the North border, but the main problem is they are not prepared to process legal travellers under these new conditions.

Meanwhile, cheap car-shipping at BC-WA border is sold-out until December. Bidbuy is available but not cheap, $890 for just a car without RV, plus $510 for 3-seat air charter.

What you say, not being ready, might be true if the reason for the border closure is due to Covid.

The land border closure has nothing to do with covid. The USA could open the land border TODAY, just like Mexico.

Testing is an excuse. Covid is the excuse. Manpower is an excuse. Hopefully folks will see what really is going on and put a stop to this nonsense.

* This post was edited 10/11/21 05:38am by playaboy *

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/21 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almot. Did you speak with biduy? I have a quote of $890 for 42 ft. Mh and truck toad. Flight is $80 per person. I do not think it is a 3 passenger unit. The testing problems at the Canadian side has nothing to do with any of us going South
Many of your BC residents are quite pleased with Bidbuy and are using them for the second time. Same for Quebecers. Never believe what you read on Facebook . But I am sure that many Americans are having problems getting their ducks in a row. Canada should accept the rapid test. The 3 day window for the pcr test makes the crossing difficult. Maybe the reason for keeping the US border closed is because Jupiter is not aligned with Mars.

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/21 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moisheh, I looked at Bidbuy pricelist on their website: https://www.bidbuyimporters.com/wp-conte........ads/2021/09/1.-Snowbirds-Summary-1.pdf.

CAR/SUV/Pickups, Abbotsford to Bellingham Airport (San Juan Terminal) broker/import fee $889.60.

San Juan Air is a separate entity, "Canada -> US: We do not do scheduled international flights at this time. Please see our charter options". http://sanjuanairlines.com/charter/

$510 charter 3-seat Cessna Abbotsford to Bellingham.

Maybe (maybe) they have a 5- or 7-seater from Abbotsford to Bellingham, and if (IF) it's packed full, you pay $80. For sharing germs with 6 people in a small cabin on the 1st day of a long trip with difficult return options.

What are you going to do if you get sick with Covid in Kino, even if you have Covid rider in travel insurance? You can't just get in the car and drive north. Can't hop on the plane in HMO either - not without negative antigen test. Alright, there is that CIMA hospital. There is nothing in Baja, I've seen Tijuana private hospitals and wasn't impressed. Tijuana public hospital you wouldn't want to set your foot in.

* This post was edited 10/11/21 05:32pm by Almot *

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/21 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We can get covid coverage. But even without it would just go to Cima. We have both used that hospital. It is amazing. The Heart section is considered the best in Latin America. The doctors are first class and the facility is better than anything in Manitoba. At any rate I cannot drive the mh to BC in the winter. If the Border does not open I will ship my truck to Minneapolis and fly there. This sucks but is all I can do.

Talleyho69

Playa la Ropa, Zihuatanejo, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/21 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moisheh, thanks for your reply. It shows that we are NOT a country that has totally inadequate heath care. Not trying to start anything.....

We hope the border opens on the 21st, we have NO understanding as to why the US hasn't opened up. It defies logic.

Please, get to your house safely, have a wonderful, warm winter, and continue to help others realize what a great country this is to visit and live in! Moderator

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/21 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talleyho69 wrote:

We hope the border opens on the 21st, we have NO understanding as to why the US hasn't opened up. It defies logic.

This IMO is correct.

We have multiple friends and relatives entering Canada from the US (as US nationals) as recently as last week, with zero problems getting a self-swab lateral test in the US often FREE, and zero problems having said test results often in under 1 hour and 20 minutes (80 minutes).

My gut feeling tells me that the issue are multiple excuses under the guise of southern border issues with illegals, and preparation for Canadians driving south. This past weekend was the Thanksgiving weekend in Canada. We had in our local tourist towns an OVERWHELMING number of US licensed-vehicles all over the Eastern Townships of Quebec. I personally can vouch for 4 automobiles with Florida plates. Many Vermont, New York, and Connecticut plates, too. At LEAST as many as in 2019, 2018 and previous during non Covid times.

Again, my prediction is for the land border opening AFTER October 25th and before November 15th....forget the Nov 21st of each month. This is now a meaningless date.

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/21 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almot wrote:

What are you going to do if you get sick with Covid in Kino, even if you have Covid rider in travel insurance?

The vast majority of medical air evacuation companies will have no problem whatsoever flying a Canadian patient who has come down with a communicable disease. This includes ebola, and numerous other communicable diseases.

A direct quote from Medical Air Service Inc:

Patient transport with coronavirus
We provide safe and quick transport for patients who are suffering from coronavirus. This holds also true for medical repatriations to or from Canada.

In order to transport a coronavirus patient safely, we use a modern isolation device. Inside this device, the atmospheric pressure is lowered, so that the virus cannot leak out. Thus, the other passengers on board – the medical crew as well as possible companions – won’t get infected themselves. At the same time, the isolation device permits all medical activities that might be necessary during patient transport. Hence, the patient’s well-being is also assured.
here-->

On edit: even with the Delta variant being phenomenally contagious (approaching the contagiousness of measles; and 1000 to 1100 x more viral load in the nasal canals compared with Alpha), infected patients are still flown trans-border on medical repatriation flights. Delta is far and away more contagious than ebola, SARS, MERS and smallpox.

To be absolutely certain that the Canadian medical insurance company you are contemplating has full repatriation of the insured who has come down with a communicable disease, specifically Covid, just call them, or e-mail. If they don't, there are plenty of medical travel insurance companies that include this.

* This post was edited 10/12/21 11:01am by silversand *

rocmoc

SouthWest USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/21 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recent interview from the Toronto Star:

"Testifying on “threats to the homeland” before the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, Mayorkas would not directly respond to queries from Chairman Gary Peters, a Democrat from Michigan, and Sen. Maggie Hassan, a Democrat from New Hampshire, about the reasoning behind barring Canadians who are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 from driving to the U.S.

Mayorkas also signalled the fate of the northern border may be tied to that of the U.S.-Mexico border, where the federal government currently enforces strict asylum and entry restrictions amid record-high migration levels."

rocmoc n Th SouthWest

rocmoc n Southern AZ/Mexico

Galvanizd

Puerto Penasco Mexico.... For a bit.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/21 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rocmoc

Was that really in the article? I haven't read it. If it was ....and I have no reason to disbelieve you... wow,
but that last line.....[image]

Mayo
rkas ..... U.S.-Mexico border, where the federal government currently enforces strict asylum and entry restrictions amid record-high migration levels.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 16  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.