RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tires: Date Code approaching 10 yrs. Toyo or Yokohama?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Tires: Date Code approaching 10 yrs. Toyo or Yokohama?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
KendallP

Probably the office

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/21 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey gang,

The Rig:

2004 Winnebago Journey 34H DP on the Freightliner / Cat chassis running fairly close to the GVWR of 27,910 (10,410F & 17,500R)

Original Tires:

Michelin 255/80R22.5 (proprietary size)

Current Tires:

Toyo M-154 265/75R22.5

Installed March of 2013, but have a 2012 date code.

Of course they appear to be in perfect shape with the standard, "whopping" 10,000 miles on them in all this time. They were babied and constantly covered. Zero checking. The rig runs super smooth down the road and I don't see any balancing on the 2013 invoice... though I'm leaning towards beads (with the appropriate stems) for their replacement.

1. I know most would have already replaced the steers a few years back, if not all 6. But I also hear folks talking about going over 10 years with tires in this kind of... exterior, visual shape. I'm inclined to err on the side of caution, but would like to hear your opinions.

2. I've narrowed the choices down to 2 models, primarily due to how closely they spec in size and load rating to the original Michelins; The aforementioned Toyo M-154s and the Yokohama RY103s. Both come in 265/75R22.5 and both are known to be made in the USA at last check. The tread appears to be a hair deeper on the Toyos... which MAY help in the rain, but it's not like that'll help with longevity on a motorhome. The tires spec at 99 and 98.3 lbs respectively. The Michelin at 90.

I had come across ONE... post on another site where some guy said Les Schwab (a western U.S. company) quit carrying Toyo because Toyo switched rubber compounds with adverse effects.

However, other posters state that it was Toyo who dropped Les Schwab, possibly because Schwab wouldn't agree to the Toyo warranty?

Others still... believe it came down to a "profit deal" for Schwab. Were Toyos getting too expensive for them?... vs. their current Falkens / Sumitomos?

So basically one poster out of a zillion... has called into question the quality of the Toyos for me.

I understand FIRE UP is a fan of the RY103s.

What are your thoughts on these 2 tires? And any others close to this size and price / quality range that I may have overlooked?

Cheers,
Kendall

1986 Winnebago Chieftain 22RC

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/21 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“I know most would have already replaced the steers a few years back, if not all 6.” I’m one of them…at 5 or 6 years.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

allbrandauto

maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/21 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

love my toyos

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/21 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi KendallP,

My Toyo's are serving me well.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mlpeloquin

San Jose, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/21 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Les Swab had the exclusive North West Dealer agreement with Toyo. Apparently it ran out and was not renewed with Les Swab. Les Swab still sells Toyo tires, but may prefer to sell another brand.
https://www.worktruckonline.com/325466/les-schwab-no-longer-northwests-exclusive-toyo-dealer

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/21 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On those 2 choices, I'd say flip a coin.

That said, we had RY103s on our last MH (replaced Michelins, one which blew in the garage, while parked), they were a great tire - I'd buy them again.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

lryrob9301

Mid-Atlantic

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/21 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Toyo or Yokohama is six of one, half a dozen of the other. They are both high quality, long lasting, heavy duty tires.

2013 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2016 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ AWD V6

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/21 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got Michelins on my Motorhome, Toyo's on my truck. Both are great, would not hesitate to buy either....

2010 Suncruiser

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/21 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at a dozen or so big rigs....see what they're running.

KendallP

Probably the office

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/21 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well sometimes it comes down to what's available, eh?

One tire shop is supposed to get me a quote on the Yokos today. I called quite a few local shops spanning 2 towns. For the Toyos, it looks like mlpeloquin was right. Schwab appears to be my best option in this area for those. Quote is $3,090.36 including old-school balancing for all 6 at a cost of 35 bucks each. So $2,880.36 unbalanced.

Cheapest I could find them online was $410 and some change. About $2,463. So Schwab's price appears pretty fair.

They said they won't do the beads. They said they can lead to flats. And if they get moist, they can gum up.

So glad to hear so many positive comments about both. Sounds like it's hard to go wrong.

Thanks everyone!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Tires: Date Code approaching 10 yrs. Toyo or Yokohama?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.