RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Outrageous CA registration fee!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Outrageous CA registration fee!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/21 05:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I’m skating by on my US$46 ($60 CDN) a year.

2 many 2

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 05:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

[emoticon]

Teleman

Clayton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 05:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Teleman wrote:

Last December we bought a 2000 Airstream Land Yacht. They want $775 to register it for 2022! WTH? We never paid anything like that much before on our previous motorhome. Is this some new punishment from our governor for our "carbon footprint" or some such nonsense? Does anyone know what's going on? We are furious! We love living here for the climate and geography but this has to be the worst governed state in the union.

I paid about $500/year here in Michigan before the RV was totaled. (Now I pay rent on an apartment... actually it was time to change)

I once priced moving to las vegas (when my daughter lived there) then, after changing underwear,,, I remained in Michigan.

775 is not outrageous for a class A at all.

Michigan is another poorly administered state. Your governor and mine would make quite a couple. They both like to make rules for the peons that they needn't follow being the entitled aristocratic overlords they imagine themselves to be. My Class A, while in excellent condition (and we love it!), cost us far less than a new car. Maybe one that was 100k would see a $775 registration in a normal state.

* This post was edited 09/24/21 01:28pm by an administrator/moderator *

Teleman

Clayton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 05:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 many 2 wrote:

Teleman wrote:

Last December we bought a 2000 Airstream Land Yacht. They want $775 to register it for 2022! WTH? We never paid anything like that much before on our previous motorhome. Is this some new punishment from our a-hole governor for our "carbon footprint" or some such nonsense? Does anyone know what's going on? We are furious! We love living here for the climate and geography but this has to be the worst governed state in the union.

You may as well get used to it, under the current valuation to registration charges, in four or five years it will go down to about $600.

For the first time, Californians have the opportunity to pay more for vehicle registration than many pay for insurance! Aparently the residents like it, 66% just voted to keep the administration in dictatorship.

You should enjoy your gas prices, it is only $7 a gallon close to you, coming to your neighborhood soon.

Click Here

"this has to be the worst governed state in the union"

You are just figuring this out now?

No we've known it for a long time. This is just a new, fresh insult that caught us by surprise as the last motorhome we bought was in 2004.

Teleman

Clayton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 05:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

I imagine some of our states have similar rates. You guys have your issues though. I have cousins in Canada and I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 06:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My motorhome is "Permanently" registered. So, there is no annual fee. That applies to my Dodge truck, my Jeep, the trailers, and the ATVs as well.
Here, all vehicles 11 years old or older, all trailers (regardless of type or size), all motorcycles (that includes ATVs) and boats are permanently registered.
But, then I went and bought a 2014 Subaru. I'll be paying annual fees on that for a few years...

CM1, USN (RET)
2010 North Trail 28BHS TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
Toy: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Towing: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/24/21 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Teleman wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

I imagine some of our states have similar rates. You guys have your issues though. I have cousins in Canada and I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

NY charges just $70/yr for passenger vehicles (includes motorhomes) over 6950 lbs. No personal property or wheel taxes...

On edit: For full disclosure, I'll add that 40 of NY's 57 counties add a weight based $5 or $10 annual vehicle use tax, and a handful have a $25 annual Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) fee that are collected with the registration fee.

* This post was edited 09/24/21 07:01am by Dutch_12078 *

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 07:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Come to Louisiana where $90 will get you a permanent registration for your RV.

People like to blame politicians for the cost of living but in reality they are responsible for their own situation.

Teleman

Clayton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 08:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

People like to blame politicians for the cost of living but in reality they are responsible for their own situation.

I don't vote for these politicians or these policies, but the majority of the state's citizens do unfortunately.If cost of living was the only factor we would move to a state like yours, but at this point the benefits, climate, geography, a great house in a good neighborhood with a pool and a music studio for me, good jobs, etc, outweigh the negative factors. But if they lock us down again all bets are off...

Teleman

Clayton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

* This post was edited 09/24/21 08:19am by Teleman *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Outrageous CA registration fee!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.