RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Ham License renewal question...?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Ham License renewal question...?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, my ham license is set to expire in a couple of weeks and I go on-line to do the renewal process. It is the first time renewing since obtaining the license.

It seems as if it went through with no hiccups and I got a confirmation number indicating that it has been "successfully submitted."

But I am confused... it did not ask for a credit card, bank or check number to process a renewal.

Are Ham License renewals free? After all, the FCC is a gubmint agency and have a hard time believing there is no cost to renew. Heck, it even say "No application or regulatory fees are required!"

What am I missing? I feel as if the gubmint is doing something down my neck and telling me it raining... they do not do anything for free.

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found this so you got a freebie for now. http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-not-yet-collecting-35-application-fee

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/21 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

d3500ram wrote:

So, my ham license is set to expire in a couple of weeks and I go on-line to do the renewal process. It is the first time renewing since obtaining the license.

It seems as if it went through with no hiccups and I got a confirmation number indicating that it has been "successfully submitted."

But I am confused... it did not ask for a credit card, bank or check number to process a renewal.

Are Ham License renewals free? After all, the FCC is a gubmint agency and have a hard time believing there is no cost to renew. Heck, it even say "No application or regulatory fees are required!"

What am I missing? I feel as if the gubmint is doing something down my neck and telling me it raining... they do not do anything for free.

The 35 dollar fee is not yet being charged, Hence you don't need So the renewal is FREE lucky you. The belief is the fee will be charged shortly after Jan-1

There is a long story but the short version is some years ago a court said they could not charge mroe than the license is worth ($0.00) so congress acted to let them charge what it costs to process, they settled on $35.00.. but it's not yet published so it's not effective.

They DO however require an E-mail Address I"m not sure if they need SSN but think not. But they do demand and E-Dress.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Seattle Steve

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/21 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The title threw me. I've been eating unlicensed ham my whole life.

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/21 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[emoticon]

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/21 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seattle Steve wrote:

The title threw me. I've been eating unlicensed ham my whole life.

Ah those of us with licenses know what it means.

Oh and for the original poster
Join the ARRL.. that way a decade from now they will send you a reminder and the linkes you need and all info....

Oh and in 50 years.. you will get a box (the one I got was CD sized) I said "What did I order from the ARRL" Turns out I'd made the order 50 years earlier...

And if you are young enough (I was 46 years ago) Consider LIFE membership... I did. (and am, best deal I ever did)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Ham License renewal question...?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.