|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Pet peeve, neighbors leave porch light on

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/21 07:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

Go whinge yourself, pillock.

Better?

[emoticon][emoticon]
LOL [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/21 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You all have missed the point; they’re motel 6 and have left the light on for you. Go check in.

In over 20 years of traveling with our TTs we’ve never stayed in a campground. If there is a flood light where we stay while eventing we put up something against the window where the light is coming in; we’re not going to ask the host to turn off their flood light. We use the same procedure when we sleep overnight in a parking lot in route to or from events.

We listen to barking dogs every night; it’s their job. Good luck to any neighbor who tries to get them to stop barking (we live where there are “right to farm” ordinances.

We are around off leash dogs at every event (including ours); they’re all under verbal control.

* This post was edited 09/28/21 07:35am by BCSnob *

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant, Lee, Fern & Hattie
Wendy the Kangal (at home guarding our flock)
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

NRALIFR

Let’s Go Girls! [End of Quote]

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/21 07:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When the porch light on my camper gets left on.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/21 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

You all have missed the point; they’re motel 6 and have left the light on for you. Go check in.

In over 20 years of traveling with our TTs we’ve never stayed in a campground. If there is a flood light where we stay while eventing we put up something against the window where the light is coming in; we’re not going to ask the host to turn off their flood light. We use the same procedure when we sleep overnight in a parking lot in route to or from events.

We listen to barking dogs every night; it’s their job. Good luck to any neighbor who tries to get them to stop barking (we live where there are “right to farm” ordinances.

We are around off leash dogs at every event (including ours); they’re all under verbal control.

Ya, I have seen the results of dogs under verbal command off leash . If you think every dog is going to respond you are fooling yourself.

I'd be more then happy to show some pictures of our neighbors bitten legs sitting on HER front porch, and was attacked by the other neighbors dogs"" OFF leash , one of the bites took 12 stitches. Thats the reason why there are leash laws .

To top it off, should of heard the remarks from the dog owner ,as you can expect something along the lines I would think you would say, my dogs are so gentle ,can't believe they would attack someone they are just house pets, believe it they did.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/21 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not what I would say.

I can lie my dog down at 600yards or mid chase of trying to catch and turn livestock and recall them to my feet at those distances leaving livestock. That is what I call under verbal control.

Don’t judge my training abilities by joe public’s abilities.

I also know which of my dogs can and cannot be off lead in various situations.

My point was it can be done, you just haven’t seen it. Rules end up being made based upon the incompetent.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/21 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

When the porch light on my camper gets left on.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

NICE!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/21 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

So "Karen" is the short version of Little Miss Can't Be Wrong? Who knew?

Don’t think so. But it was a cool song. (Not Karen)

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/21 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

I agree with you, but I also think you are talking about different things.

RV parks and parking lots are not the same as a traditional public campground. People don't expect to have total darkness in an RV park or parking lot like they do in most public campgrounds.

Living in an agricultural area is different than living in a residential area. People expect to hear animals. And dogs will rarely bark through the night out of boredom and frustration. And the distance between the animals and a neighbor's bedroom are going to be far greater.*

A dog trial event is a lot different than a local park. The dogs are at these events specifically because they have been trained far beyond the average pet dog and are showing that training.

*Unfortunately, there are many many idiots who move into an agriculural area because of the "atmosphere" and then proceed to try to eliminate the atmospere because it's "bothersome". But that's a different problem.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/21 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does one go to a campground to experience that campground’s environment or does one go to a campground and expect that campground to change its environment to meet your expectations?

Just like don’t move to the country and expect it to feel like the suburbs.

If the campground has closely spaced sites expect neighbors to be close and they may leave their lights on.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/21 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But is one camper's habit of leaving their outdoor light(s) on all night the campground's environment? Or is it an individual camper's idiosyncrasy?

For me, I would say follow the lighting protocol of the campground. So, if the campground has no artificial lighting then leaving a porch light on all night would be a no-no. If there are lights outside the restrooms that are on all night, then a porch light would be reasonable. If there are "street lights", then additional lighting would be acceptable.

And the campground may have different sections that differ in what's acceptable. A campground I visit often is like that. When you drive in, there is a long stretch with full hookup sites and "street lights". Around a corner is a loop with just electric and water. This loop has no " street lights" but has an outdoor light at the restrooms. Another section is dry, but has the outdoor bathroom light. The loop I stay at is dry, no "street lights", and a vault toilet with no lights at all. Across the road are three group sites with varying degrees of lighting.

If someone came to " my" loop and left their porch light on all night, I'd take issue. But it'd be fine in the other sections.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Pet peeve, neighbors leave porch light on
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.