|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Figuring Mileages

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
BillyandKris

Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/21 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK Guys, dumb question. When I am planning our travels I search for “XXXXXtown, State to XXXcity, State” to get how far between destinations and of course it takes me to Google maps which is most helpful. Problem is sometimes the route and mileage they give doesn’t match up with when we are actually out there and using our Garmin RV GPS (which is awesome). Is there a free website of maps that would match up better with what our Garmin RV GPS tells us to do (which is of course the route we are going to use)? I do all this planning on a computer and not on my phone so I’m not sure if I would be interested in an app. Would prefer some free mapping website. Is there such a thing or how do ya’ll do it? (BTW I’m NOT new at this-just never stopped to try to figure out a better way).

RICK-ards Red

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/21 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do my travel planning on the computer as well, I use distance tracker at

https://www.distancesfrom.com

Its pretty close but I add an hour at least for rest stops and gas etc. Its free. I also use google maps and AAA trip tik maker. Half the fun is the planning [emoticon]

2017 Coachman Catalina 25RKS
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 - Kodiak edition

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/26/21 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the google map millage and ajust the speed for less. So if its a 70 mph zone, im only going 65. So i divide the miles by 65 or 60 and then as above add an hour for stops, depending on fuel and how far im going. Unfortunately, millage, fuel, stops and traffic all add time. The miles for both maps should be similer. The times may be different.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/21 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A general rule of thumb. Use whatever method you want to determine distance. Divide total distance by 50 and you will get a pretty accurate time that includes stops.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/21 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don’t blindly follow the Garmin without verifying the route. My old Garmin once took me to a rocky low water crossing when it should have had me turn about a 1/4 mile before that. Another time, a different Garmin tried to take me around to the back entrance to the Great Sand Dunes on an unpaved 4 wheel drive vehicle only road. Fortunately I knew better.

paulj

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/21 01:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd try to figure out what was different in the routes, between what planned on Google and what you drove. If the routes were actually the same I'd expect miles to be the same, or at least close.

Then I'd try to tweak the google route to match the driven. That's easy. I often explore alternative routes, not just the ones the GM suggests. For long distance drives, I find I really have to take major detours to change the mileage significantly (more, say than an hour's drive).

Matching times may be harder, since that depends not only on distance, but on estimated speed, which may vary with the road condition. In fact I use time vs distance to judge whether one route has slower roads than another - e.g. freeway or not, curvy or not, mountain or not. Speed estimates though are always rougher.

Garmin also has some online mapping tools. I've only dabbled in those, since the only Garmin I have is a watch.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/21 04:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When using Google Maps, you can modify the route if you don't like what Google comes up with.

If you look at the highlighted route, there are white dots, grab and drag one to the route you want and it will redo the route. Sometimes you may need to do 2 or 3 if it keeps trying to push you back to a freeway route (the routing logic give preference to staying on major roads).

We've never had an issue with the route lengths being incorrect. Do make sure you are comparing apples to apples. If you just enter the city names on Google Maps and put in the exact street address on your garmin, it will come back with different results because you asked for different start and end points.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/21 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

A general rule of thumb. Use whatever method you want to determine distance. Divide total distance by 50 and you will get a pretty accurate time that includes stops.

This ^^

People on this forum told me about the "50 rule" years ago when figuring travel times, and it works.

Thunder Mountain

Lost in the Four Corners

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/21 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use map quest on the computer, maps app on the iphone and my nav. If I'm going somewhere I've never been before, I use Google Earth to scope out fuel stops etc. Then there is always the paper map.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

prichardson

Lafayette, La

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/21 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Use your GPS the way you are using Google. I would not use the route laid out by any GPS or other mapping program without doing a review of where it is sending you. Even with a GPS if you enter the whole route to get the overall distance and then later you run it in segments there will be differences in the results.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Figuring Mileages
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.