|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Figuring Mileages

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

Don’t blindly follow the Garmin without verifying the route. My old Garmin once took me to a rocky low water crossing when it should have had me turn about a 1/4 mile before that. Another time, a different Garmin tried to take me around to the back entrance to the Great Sand Dunes on an unpaved 4 wheel drive vehicle only road. Fortunately I knew better.

x2

padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/21 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

A general rule of thumb. Use whatever method you want to determine distance. Divide total distance by 50 and you will get a pretty accurate time that includes stops.

This has worked well for me in towing a fifth wheel for over 20 years and 194,500 miles of towing.

Bob806

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/21 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find the Good Sam Trip Planner to be real helpful. It hasn't let me down yet.

I also use Google Maps as a reference.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/27/21 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

50 mph rule works for me. Every 100 miles is 2 hours. Easy math

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

dalenoel

S.E. Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/21 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

50 mph is good and I use RVPARKY along with Furkot. I put in the locations that me the route I want and it will spit out the distance and time in the s summary. Not that hitech but works for me. I don't use the phone apps for planning but just for search near where we stop.

03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

K_and_I

North Central Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/21 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob806 wrote:

I find the Good Sam Trip Planner to be real helpful. It hasn't let me down yet.

I also use Google Maps as a reference.

Just a note for Good Sam Trip Planner- you really need to double check its route selection. I made a trip from Ohio to NC, and Trip Planner took me through the "Tail of the Dragon". I made the mistake of not double checking the route before taking off. I made it OK with my 26' trailer, but it's not a trip I want to make again.

K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is most unfortunate that Garmin bought Delorme and killed Street Atlas. The charts are now old and nearly useless, but a better planning and enroute navigator has never existed. When running with a GPS puck, you have a big map on a laptop with a "You Are Here" arrow. You know the distance to the next stop be it for fuel or end of day.

If I make up a plan, I can tell you the hour we will be where... If we change a plan mid-day, the change will wrinkle thought the plan so what is projects is now correct. This can alert you to changes in fuel or EOD long before it is critical.

Anything web-based is useless as you will loose the connection sometime that you need it. I have worked with Google and Furkot and lost connections all the time. Neither can be counted on while underway. I even preloaded the Google maps only to run off the edge before we regain coverage.

Yes, GM on the phone will be realtime, but it will project the changes required to the days plan.

Sorry to sound like a "Good Old Days", but I can only imagine what SA or S&T would be like if five years newer. It could be linked to the coaches systems to look for cheap fuel on GasBuddy and make the campground reservations all autonomously and only ask for approval.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog (one is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Figuring Mileages
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.