|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Heavy Class C Tire thoughts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/21 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"With E rated tires (which is what the manufacturer recommends), if the rear axle is at max load there is very little extra weight margin and my opinion is that the tires are being stressed"

Wait a sec. Are you saying the actual rear axle weight on the scales is enough to max out the Es? Or are you saying the Es are not enough to meet the rear GAWR of the C?

What is the rear scale weight for that C as loaded for camping and what PSI do they want on the door label ?

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Holiday27

Gresham, OR.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/21 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Generally all tires of same size and load range have the same weight rating, so no chance of more capacity without upsizing tires.
But not being specific about the issues you’ve had, dunno if you’re needing more weight capacity or not.
However, quality wise, I don’t believe you can do any better than Toyo, so your issues likely don’t reside with the brand.

All of the issues I've had with the toyos have been separations (4 in all over 8+- years). 1 was after only 500mi!. So honestly, I'm over toyos. Time to try something new for me.

It's been awhile since I weighed it and I don't remember, just that it was close to the GVRW. On the plus side I have a 2012 front end which has bigger brakes and 500#'s extra capacity

2002 27PBS Holiday Rambler (Aluminum sided/roof) Love it!

Previous RV's
'94 Jamboree 22ft. (This beast had a 460 with tons of power)
'95 VW Eurovan camper (5 cyl. dog) Pulled a 3 rail fine though.
Tent">
Borrowed folks '84 VW Westfalia (water cooled)

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/21 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

"With E rated tires (which is what the manufacturer recommends), if the rear axle is at max load there is very little extra weight margin and my opinion is that the tires are being stressed"

Wait a sec. Are you saying the actual rear axle weight on the scales is enough to max out the Es? Or are you saying the Es are not enough to meet the rear GAWR of the C?

What is the rear scale weight for that C as loaded for camping and what PSI do they want on the door label ?

If the OP has an E450 based C, at the max RGAWR the E rated tires are also right at their max. With most of these rigs there is very little air space in the wheel wells which makes the tires run hot and prone to tread separation in hot weather. Your E350 C is lighter, so if you run E rated tires you can inflate to 80 psi and have a comfortable margin. A 450 runs the same size tires, but has no margin tire-wise when fully loaded. If the OP wants real margin in tire capacity, he can go with a Rickson tire and wheel package but they are spendy.

Holiday27

Gresham, OR.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/21 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SJ-Chris wrote:

On my 30' Class C RVs, I have made the choice to go away from the E rated tires and instead go with Commercial tires with a 121/120 weight rating. I buy my tires from Big-O tires and they don't seem to be any more expensive (~$20 more per tire).

With E rated tires (which is what the manufacturer recommends), if the rear axle is at max load there is very little extra weight margin and my opinion is that the tires are being stressed (...especially if they ever end up not being properly inflated). Tires at their max load MUST have a higher chance of a blowout, right? With Commercial 121/120 load rated tires, they give you an extra ~2000lbs of carrying capacity (compared to E rated tires) on your rear axle and I sleep better at night knowing this.

I just bought 7 new Commercial rated tires last week for one of my 30' RVs. The tires were $135 each.

Personally, I haven't noticed any difference in terms of handling or noise.

-Chris

I'll look into commercial, one of the tires I was looking at XPS rib is a commercial tire (its pricey tho). I'll have to check with the local tire shop for others.

Thanks!

Holiday27

Gresham, OR.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/21 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

BFL13 wrote:

If the OP has an E450 based C, at the max RGAWR the E rated tires are also right at their max. With most of these rigs there is very little air space in the wheel wells which makes the tires run hot and prone to tread separation in hot weather. Your E350 C is lighter, so if you run E rated tires you can inflate to 80 psi and have a comfortable margin. A 450 runs the same size tires, but has no margin tire-wise when fully loaded. If the OP wants real margin in tire capacity, he can go with a Rickson tire and wheel package but they are spendy.

Yep, it's a 450 so at max. Thanks for the Rickson tip but I've been down that road 3 years ago... put in order... wait 6 months then no response. I don't know what happened. Luckily no money down/lost.

Looks like I'm stuck with E's, I just need to get the highest quality tire available.

Holiday27

Gresham, OR.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/21 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I'm sold on these. The weight capacity seems pretty great and price is ok. Capacity appears higher that regular E rated tire maybe due to commercial rating.

Michelin - Agilis CrossClimate 225/75R16C 121/120R LRE

https://tires.costco.com/product?ItemNo=1331851

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/21 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

All of the issues I've had with the toyos have been separations (4 in all over 8+- years). 1 was after only 500mi!. So honestly, I'm over toyos. Time to try something new for me.

I understand how you feel regarding ‘moving on’. The Cross Climate seem to be a vg choice with the @3100# rating.

Were those previous 4 separated tires from the same purchase ? Over 8 years ?
If so, that could have a bad lot. Mfg defect or age ?
Tire separation is normally mfg related but can be heat, PSI or age related which can and has occurred most all tire brands including Michelin.

SJ-Chris

San Jose, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/21 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Yes! I will have to dig up the actual numbers (or someone else will and post them here...), but if you are at the max weight rating of the rear axle and the E load rated tires are at their proper inflation (80psi max), there is very little weight buffer.

Yes, I understand that you should not be above your Max axle weight limit to begin with. But most people don't routinely (or ever) weigh their RVs fully loaded (ie. full tank of gas, full water tank, full grey/black tanks, full gear, full number of passengers, tow tongue weight if towing something, etc). Then, what happens when you hit bumps, dips, potholes, etc on the road? I don't want to risk it.

The Commercial 121/120 rated tires gives an extra ~500lbs per tire weight carrying capacity. x4 gives you 2000lbs of extra buffer. Like I said...I sleep better at night knowing it is there.

Side note: A few months ago, I had an inner rear tire go out (stem broke). So just ONE E rated tire was holding the entire weight of that side. I drove about 10 miles without knowing, including about 3 miles on the freeway. Thankfully, it didn't blow. I guess they are pretty tough. But still...I'll go with the Commercial 121/120 load tires just to be safe.

Good luck!
Chris

San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/21 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Holiday27 wrote:

I think I'm sold on these. The weight capacity seems pretty great and price is ok. Capacity appears higher that regular E rated tire maybe due to commercial rating.

Michelin - Agilis CrossClimate 225/75R16C 121/120R LRE

https://tires.costco.com/product?ItemNo=1331851

I looked at those too and it will be interesting to hear how they turn out. Those tires check a lot of boxes, sidewall protection, true all-season with Mountain snowflake winter rating, weight rating. Note that the C-Metric version has a directional tread whereas the non-C metric version does not. So each dual set of wheels will have to have a left and right tire? What to use for a spare, a non- C-metric Agilis?

For me it was go with what you know. Bridgestone all-steel cased tires were dependable for 8 years and the tire weight of 51 pounds.

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

whemme

Spencer, IA

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/21 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to say but all E rated tires of a certain size by any brand have the exact same max load carrying capacity when inflated to 80 psi.

2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Heavy Class C Tire thoughts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.