|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Heavy Class C Tire thoughts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Holiday27

Gresham, OR.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/21 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

Quote:

All of the issues I've had with the toyos have been separations (4 in all over 8+- years). 1 was after only 500mi!. So honestly, I'm over toyos. Time to try something new for me.

I understand how you feel regarding ‘moving on’. The Cross Climate seem to be a vg choice with the @3100# rating.

Were those previous 4 separated tires from the same purchase ? Over 8 years ?
If so, that could have a bad lot. Mfg defect or age ?
Tire separation is normally mfg related but can be heat, PSI or age related which can and has occurred most all tire brands including Michelin.

No, I had upgraded the tires after purchase a couple years later. The tire that separated in 500mi replaced another tire that separated, so not a "lot" thing. My coach is very heavy so not bad mouthing Toyo. I suspect I'll have similar issues down the road but with added weight rating maybe I'll get lucky!

2002 27PBS Holiday Rambler (Aluminum sided/roof) Love it!

Previous RV's
'94 Jamboree 22ft. (This beast had a 460 with tons of power)
'95 VW Eurovan camper (5 cyl. dog) Pulled a 3 rail fine though.
Tent">
Borrowed folks '84 VW Westfalia (water cooled)

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/21 06:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whemme wrote:

Sorry to say but all E rated tires of a certain size by any brand have the exact same max load carrying capacity when inflated to 80 psi.

Actually not. You can see from the Michelin load tables that the dual application of the C-Metric 225/75-R16C has 1000 lbs. more per pair or 2000 lbs. more per 4 rear tires at 80 psi. 5950 vs. 4940 lbs. per pair.

https://www.rvsafety.com/images/pdf/michelinloadandinflationrvtruck.pdf

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

Holiday27

Gresham, OR.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/21 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RambleOnNW wrote:

Holiday27 wrote:

I think I'm sold on these. The weight capacity seems pretty great and price is ok. Capacity appears higher that regular E rated tire maybe due to commercial rating.

Michelin - Agilis CrossClimate 225/75R16C 121/120R LRE

https://tires.costco.com/product?ItemNo=1331851

I looked at those too and it will be interesting to hear how they turn out. Those tires check a lot of boxes, sidewall protection, true all-season with Mountain snowflake winter rating, weight rating. Note that the C-Metric version has a directional tread whereas the non-C metric version does not. So each dual set of wheels will have to have a left and right tire? What to use for a spare, a non- C-metric Agilis?

For me it was go with what you know. Bridgestone all-steel cased tires were dependable for 8 years and the tire weight of 51 pounds.

Thanks for pointing out the directional thing. I didn't notice that. Honestly it doesn't matter to me though because I don't rotate my RV tires. For my spare I'll use my newest Toyo tire which I think is about a year old so non issue.

I'll keep you posted on the crossclimates!

Holiday27

Gresham, OR.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/21 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RambleOnNW wrote:

whemme wrote:

Sorry to say but all E rated tires of a certain size by any brand have the exact same max load carrying capacity when inflated to 80 psi.

Actually not. You can see from the Michelin load tables that the dual application of the C-Metric 225/75-R16C has 1000 lbs. more per pair or 2000 lbs. more per 4 rear tires at 80 psi. 5950 vs. 4940 lbs. per pair.

Thanks for pointing that out. That's what I was thinking as well.

whemme

Spencer, IA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/21 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RambleOnNW wrote:

whemme wrote:

But the Michelin 225/75-R16C is not an E rated tire. You are trying to compare apples to oranges.

2002 Born Free 26' RSB Motorcoach
2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS Toad

Holiday27

Gresham, OR.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/21 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whemme wrote:

RambleOnNW wrote:

whemme wrote:

But the Michelin 225/75-R16C is not an E rated tire. You are trying to compare apples to oranges.

I think it is. See load range in link.

https://www.tireamerica.com/tires/sku/mi........25-75r16c-121-120r-e/000000000001114984

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/21 09:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whemme wrote:

RambleOnNW wrote:

whemme wrote:

So what Load Range do you think it is? It says right in the table it is an LRE.

CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 03:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RambleOnNW wrote:

whemme wrote:

RambleOnNW wrote:

whemme wrote:

Perhaps I can explain this.

First, whemme is mostly right, but he could have worded it better.

But RambleOnNW is sort of right, too - and he also could have worded it better.

What is going on here is the difference between tire standardizing organizations. Whemme is referring to LT tires (US based standard) and what RambleonNW is referring to are C type tires (European based standard). They use the same number for the tire dimensions, but they use different formulae to figure out the load carrying capacity.

Technically, LT tries (US standard) come in Load Ranges, while C type tires (Euro standard) come in Load Indices (not load ranges). But tire retailers aren't quite this savvy, so they fall back on what is familiar - Load Ranges - and label these C type tires with Load Ranges (incorrectly!)

I hope that explains things.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/21 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CapriRacer wrote:

RambleOnNW wrote:

whemme wrote:

RambleOnNW wrote:

whemme wrote:

... But tire retailers aren't quite this savvy, so they fall back on what is familiar - Load Ranges - and label these C type tires with Load Ranges (incorrectly!)

I hope that explains things.

It is not just tire retailers that call the C-Metric tire a Load Range E. Michelin themselves market the Michelin Agilis CrossClimate 225/75-R16C LRE as a Load Range E:
https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bconte........GILIS_CROSSCLIMATE_B2B_product_sheet.pdf

* This post was edited 10/04/21 04:36pm by RambleOnNW *

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/21 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of our members switched to the following tire.

The LT235/85/16E is 3040#. It fits the OEM wheels that the 225 75 16 rolls on and at a little over one inch in diameter larger will offer you about 1/2” more ground clearance while fitting the wheel wells. Seems to me to be a good option bc it offers two advantages over the stock LT225 75 16E.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Heavy Class C Tire thoughts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.