RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Where to get steering alignment done for a class A?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Where to get steering alignment done for a class A?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Hunk of Cheese

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/21 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colmbarry wrote:

Maybe a day trip is in order!

https://www.hendersonslineup.com/

That place looks awesome! But it's a three-day trip for me, full day to drive south from Seattle, a day to get work done assuming(!) all goes smoothly, and a day to drive back.

How did you find this place, you just know of it already or you were able to search it out using good search terms that I haven't found yet?

Hunk of Cheese

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/21 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

Assuming no worn parts (we don't know how many miles on it, or if chassis lubrication has been done as it should) there isn't much to a front end "alignment" on that chassis.

With its solid front axle, CAMBER can only be changed by bending the solid axle.

Caster can only be changed by adding/subtracting solid metal shims (and caster is really not a significant factor when it comes to tire wear)

Toe- IN is really the only normal "adjustment". And, it can be checked with nothing more than a tape measure. No exotic machinery needed.

Yes, to check rear axle to frame alignment to insure that the coach is not "dog tracking" which can also affect tire wear, is a little more complex.

It has about 70,000 miles on it. The first shop I took it to, who told me they couldn't do anything, also told me it needed new parts on both wheels. I'm kicking myself; I can't remember which part. The second shop ordered the parts for me and then told me when I got there that the first shop was crazy and I didn't need them. They also greased the steering parts. Third shop that actually claimed to do the alignment (but without effect) agreed that no new parts were needed.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/21 12:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hunk of Cheese wrote:

colmbarry wrote:

Maybe a day trip is in order!

https://www.hendersonslineup.com/

That place looks awesome! But it's a three-day trip for me, full day to drive south from Seattle, a day to get work done assuming(!) all goes smoothly, and a day to drive back.

How did you find this place, you just know of it already or you were able to search it out using good search terms that I haven't found yet?
Hendersons Lineup has an excellent reputation and the only west coast place I would go to.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/21 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your problems may be more than worn parts and alignment. Best to have a plan B for more than one day at Hendersons, just in case.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/21 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hunk of Cheese wrote:

Rick Jay wrote:

Hunk of Cheese,

do you have the tires properly inflated for the load that they're carrying? Some places just air up the tires to the max inflation pressure on the tire, but that is often times over-inflated for the specific tire & RV/weight combination. I know on our rig that gave a very poor (hard) ride and made steering a bit squirrelly, especially on rough pavement.

Argh. Yes, I have the tires aired properly -- I keep them all at 90 PSI, which is slightly higher than the tire manufacturer's recommendation for my weight. Tire mfr. recommends 80 PSI which is also the tire's minimum allowed inflation and I wanted to stay above the minimum.
First load for travel, full water, propane and fuel then weigh each corner and check for significant side to side balance, correct as needed. Then using the heavest side for an axle use this valve to determine the CORRECT psi for that axle based on the tire manufactures load inflation table.

* This post was edited 09/28/21 01:25pm by CA Traveler *

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/28/21 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hunk of Cheese wrote:

Rick Jay wrote:

Hunk of Cheese,

do you have the tires properly inflated for the load that they're carrying? Some places just air up the tires to the max inflation pressure on the tire, but that is often times over-inflated for the specific tire & RV/weight combination. I know on our rig that gave a very poor (hard) ride and made steering a bit squirrelly, especially on rough pavement.

Argh. Yes, I have the tires aired properly -- I keep them all at 90 PSI, which is slightly higher than the tire manufacturer's recommendation for my weight. Tire mfr. recommends 80 PSI which is also the tire's minimum allowed inflation and I wanted to stay above the minimum.

When I first got my coach and took it in for inspection, the shop filled my tires to 140 PSI. Ride was so hard. I came back later after learning some stuff and tried to tell the guy he had made a mistake. The whole shop was immediately very angry, (I guess they had had this argument before.) and somebody sarcastically yelled at me "if 140 PSI wasn't the tire manufacturer's recommended pressure then why would they stamp it on the side of the tire?!". They waved away and didn't want to look at my PDF brochure from the tire manufacturer. Wow, that was frustrating.

De-airing the tires did help a lot with the squirrely but it's still there.

Behind the seat on the wall or elsewhere there should be a label with recommended tire pressure for the coach.Our coaches do not weigh 100,000 lbs and the sidewall molded in maximum pressures are for a semi. We had the pressure for our tires raised in 2012 when the bays were filled with things for our kids, out near Tucson.
What a mistakeI59 was real bad then and it nearly beat us to death...and loosened everything in the coach including screws in the shower, the washer/dryer half out of the cabinet and so on.

Hunk of Cheese

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/21 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Hendersons Lineup has an excellent reputation and the only west coast place I would go to.

This is getting to the point of my post -- how did you find out that Henderson's Lineup has an excellent reputation?

I can't easily take minimum three days (+ possible extra in case of trouble) to get work done.

How can I find a place that's nearer to me that also has a good reputation? I can find lots of places near me but identifying their reputations in a trustworthy way is really hard.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/21 02:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Closer but still a day trip would be Eric's
This time of year could be very busy!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Hunk of Cheese

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/21 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Closer but still a day trip would be Eric's
This time of year could be very busy!

How do you find these places and know that they are good?

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/21 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Experience!
I had Henderson's do my front end with their Bellcranks. Still good!
Eric's did my banks setup and chip.
Gail Banks works with Eric Davis.
Both have been in business for many years. Both have been improving poarts over OEM.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Where to get steering alignment done for a class A?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.