RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: What's you remaining payload weights as configured?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > What's you remaining payload weights as configured?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

Senior Member

Joined: 01/28/2009

View Profile



Posted: 09/29/21 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2021 Ford Fleet covers most configured ford towing.Here.





MikeRP

Westerville

Senior Member

Joined: 11/01/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/02/21 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2020 Longhorn Ram 3500 w Crew Cab and long bed has a payload of 4156 lbs. My Cedar Creek weighs about 14,500 lb loaded which translates to 2900 lbs on the pin and that math works. So I have a 46 gallon aux tank that weighs 350 lbs full and a small capacity tool box.

So loaded ready to go i probably only about 3-400 lbs from max. So if you are buying a new truck at the very minimum get. 3500 payload even on a 350 or 3500 series truck w single rear wheel gets eaten up fast! And it costs so little extra to get a 3500 versus 2500 it’s a no brainer.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2003

View Profile



Posted: 10/03/21 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

350/3500 srw crew cab long beds 4wd diesel trucks with those big 4xxx lb gvwr based payloads if all placed in the bed over the trucks rear axle may overload the truck 7000 rawr. I've seen some owners of trucks this size say their truck unladin rear axle weight was in the 3400-3500 lbs range leaving 3500-3600 lbs for a max rear axle payload.

Best to weigh the rig on a scale that way actual loads on the trucks axles/tires/suspension are known. A upgraded in those components can then be addressed ...if needed.


"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/03/21 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MikeRP wrote:

My 2020 Longhorn Ram 3500 w Crew Cab and long bed has a payload of 4156 lbs. My Cedar Creek weighs about 14,500 lb loaded which translates to 2900 lbs on the pin and that math works. So I have a 46 gallon aux tank that weighs 350 lbs full and a small capacity tool box.

So loaded ready to go i probably only about 3-400 lbs from max. So if you are buying a new truck at the very minimum get. 3500 payload even on a 350 or 3500 series truck w single rear wheel gets eaten up fast! And it costs so little extra to get a 3500 versus 2500 it’s a no brainer.


Have you ever weighed your Truck and RV? 2,900 pin on 14,500# is exactly 20%. I am willing to bet your numbers in reality are different.


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

Senior Member

Joined: 11/17/2000

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 10/03/21 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Escapees Smart Weigh tickets on my truck and trailer. Fully loaded, we are 500# under the rear axle rating on the truck. All 3 axles on the trailer are under tire and axle ratings. Our pin weight is 21% of the trailer rating. The truck has an auxiliary 40-gallon fuel tank and Trailer Saver TS air ride hitch.

Do I want to need more truck? It would be nice, but the rig does a good job, and we are OK on the ratings.

Ken


Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/03/21 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TXiceman wrote:

I have the Escapees Smart Weigh tickets on my truck and trailer. Fully loaded, we are 500# under the rear axle rating on the truck. All 3 axles on the trailer are under tire and axle ratings. Our pin weight is 21% of the trailer rating. The truck has an auxiliary 40-gallon fuel tank and Trailer Saver TS air ride hitch.

Do I want to need more truck? It would be nice, but the rig does a good job, and we are OK on the ratings.

Ken


That's a high pin weight percentage for a triple axle RV.

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

Senior Member

Joined: 11/17/2000

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 10/03/21 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

TXiceman wrote:

I have the Escapees Smart Weigh tickets on my truck and trailer. Fully loaded, we are 500# under the rear axle rating on the truck. All 3 axles on the trailer are under tire and axle ratings. Our pin weight is 21% of the trailer rating. The truck has an auxiliary 40-gallon fuel tank and Trailer Saver TS air ride hitch.

Do I want to need more truck? It would be nice, but the rig does a good job, and we are OK on the ratings.

Ken


That's a high pin weight percentage for a triple axle RV.


That is what it is.\\Ken

MikeRP

Westerville

Senior Member

Joined: 11/01/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/03/21 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

MikeRP wrote:

My 2020 Longhorn Ram 3500 w Crew Cab and long bed has a payload of 4156 lbs. My Cedar Creek weighs about 14,500 lb loaded which translates to 2900 lbs on the pin and that math works. So I have a 46 gallon aux tank that weighs 350 lbs full and a small capacity tool box.

So loaded ready to go i probably only about 3-400 lbs from max. So if you are buying a new truck at the very minimum get. 3500 payload even on a 350 or 3500 series truck w single rear wheel gets eaten up fast! And it costs so little extra to get a 3500 versus 2500 it’s a no brainer.


Have you ever weighed your Truck and RV? 2,900 pin on 14,500# is exactly 20%. I am willing to bet your numbers in reality are different.


I think they would be different but I don’t have the washer dryer in the front nor the Onan generator. So actually I think it’s been running like 19% but I will check it again next spring before I leave. Plus my wife and I have been through a rigorous process of not having stuff on board the truck or the camper that we don’t need and don’t use. We have shed a lot of weight. I had stuff in there from two RV’s ago.

Thanks

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/03/21 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For us things come in the door but none ever seem to leave.

* This post was edited 10/04/21 08:12am by an administrator/moderator *

noteven

Turtle Island

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2011

View Profile



Posted: 10/03/21 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 160" wheelbase dually with 12K front and 21K rear rating.

Legal axle loading is 12K front and 20K rear = 32K

The truck weighs 15K so that would be...um... carry the nought ... 17000lbs payload.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > What's you remaining payload weights as configured?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.