RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Coal-Rolling Teen Pickup Truck Driver Hits Six Cyclists

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Coal-Rolling Teen Pickup Truck Driver Hits Six Cyclists

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/21 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Chase Ferrell, a cyclist who gave his account of the collision to KPRC 2 and Fox 26, claims the diesel truck driver blew black smoke on him and everyone else in the group.

"The reason he couldn’t stop is because he was accelerating to blow more diesel fuel on these cyclists," Ferrell explained to Fox 26. "He ended up hitting three people before his brakes even started."

link

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/21 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a cyclist I have been smoked out by diesels, cussed at, called odd names, had glass bottles thrown at me on multiple occasions, swerved into on purpose and narrowly missed, and a few other things. I am very conscious about how and if I impact traffic so I always make a habit of riding on roads with wide shoulders. Once I was with my family, my son was 10 at the time and someone threw bottles at us. For no reason. I simply don't get the angst of some people toward cyclists, especially if they aren't impacting their ability to drive. Why the hate? I get that there are some cyclists with a sense of entitlement that help foster this angst. But it's a very few. Most of these instances are people that harass cyclists for fun.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/21 02:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have read this story before; IMHO, the fact the kid did not leave in cuffs is the worse part of it.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/21 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

I have read this story before; IMHO, the fact the kid did not leave in cuffs is the worse part of it.

Agreed. I don't get it. They said they are investigating - likely waiting to see how much pressure they get to arrest him later. I read in another article where he was quoted as his first and foremost concern "am I going to be arrested?". No remorse or concern for the several people he just ran over.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/21 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What that kid deserves
Time in a meditative center (Jail if nobody got injured prison if they did)
Large cash obligation (Fine)
Loss of license
Loss of pick up truck (Impounded and sold for scrap metal.)

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/21 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

What that kid deserves
Time in a meditative center (Jail if nobody got injured prison if they did)

Not sure, but heard 2 where life flighted. What is the penalty for assault with a deadly weapon times 6? Any reason for the attack other than hate? Add hate crime.

Quote:

Large cash obligation (Fine)

Large fine fine for modifying the truck to "roll coal". And the people that where injured should sue for enough that his whole family is living in grocery carts.

Quote:

Loss of license

For life

Quote:

Loss of pick up truck (Impounded and sold for scrap metal.)

No reason to scrap it, but should be sold to highest bidder, with the understanding it will meet factory emission standards before driven again.

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/29/21 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

81 Van, What age can you get a driver's license in Texas, for goodness sake? I thought 16 year old kids were still on Learner's Permits where you had to have a mature adult with a license in the vehicle with the kid. This kid will not pay; it will be his parents who will pay up and appear in juvenile court and family court. They probably have "deep pockets" if they can afford to give him an F-350 to drive. But they will learn, if you don't keep a leash on your underage kids, they will make you a "poor" family. Oh! I forgot, this is Texas!

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/29/21 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

charlestonsouthern wrote:

81 Van, What age can you get a driver's license in Texas, for goodness sake? I thought 16 year old kids were still on Learner's Permits where you had to have a mature adult with a license in the vehicle with the kid.

In every state except New Jersey, someone who is 16 years old (sometimes 16 plus some months) can obtain an actual license of some sort and drive alone--usually a restricted license, with prohibitions on such things as driving late at night, carrying more than one non-adult passengers without an adult also present, etc. In New Jersey, one must be 17 to obtain a license.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/21 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

No reason to scrap it, but should be sold to highest bidder, with the understanding it will meet factory emission standards before driven again.

I can think of two reasons to scrap it one phycological one practical
(The kid likely loves his truck more than he does his girlfriend so crushing the truck, or crushing his.. you know whats,, about the same)

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/21 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

I can think of two reasons to scrap it one phycological one practical
(The kid likely loves his truck more than he does his girlfriend so crushing the truck, or crushing his.. you know whats,, about the same)

Knowing the truck was crushed might hurt more than knowing somebody else was driving it, I don't know. Maybe send him a picture of it wrapped to advertise a bicycle shop?
But to just destroy it would waste a serviceable vehicle.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Coal-Rolling Teen Pickup Truck Driver Hits Six Cyclists
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.