RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Coal-Rolling Teen Pickup Truck Driver Hits Six Cyclists

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Coal-Rolling Teen Pickup Truck Driver Hits Six Cyclists

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/21 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

While the flipping off is uncalled for, I question the "hogging the lane". The fact is it is not safe to let all drivers share your lane. And while you in your cage may not understand or like it, on most roads, that bike is entitled to the use of a whole lane...
Not in Michigan.
(MCL 257.660a) - If riding your bike below the posted speed limit, a cyclist is required to ride as close as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the road.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/21 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are exceptions in the MI code you posted

Quote:

A person operating a bicycle upon a highway or street at less than the existing speed of traffic shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway except as follows:
(a) When overtaking and passing another bicycle or any other vehicle proceeding in the same direction.
(b) When preparing to turn left.
(c) When conditions make the right-hand edge of the roadway unsafe or reasonably unusable by bicycles, including, but not limited to, surface hazards, an uneven roadway surface, drain openings, debris, parked or moving vehicles or bicycles, pedestrians, animals, or other obstacles, or if the lane is too narrow to permit a vehicle to safely overtake and pass a bicycle.
(d) When operating a bicycle in a lane in which the traffic is turning right but the individual intends to go straight through the intersection.
(e) When operating a bicycle upon a 1-way highway or street that has 2 or more marked traffic lanes, in which case the individual may ride as near the left-hand curb or edge of that roadway as practicable.
(f) When riding as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway would block, delay, or otherwise interfere with the movement of a streetcar on a streetcar track.

Just how good are the edges of the roads in MI?

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/21 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The point is - You are not "entitled" to use the lane in Michigan. Using the lane requires extenuating circumstances, not entitlement.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/21 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My point is what you see in a vehicle and what a cyclist sees on their bike as extenuating circumstances (ie hazardous road conditions) may be different. A piece of broken glass or gravel which will have no impact on vehicle tires can lead to punctures on bike tires.

What is the likelihood that there will be hazardous conditions along the edges of MI roads such that the exceptions make cyclists entitled to use more of the lane than “against the curb”?

* This post was edited 10/21/21 06:46am by BCSnob *

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/21 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

...What is the likelihood that there will be hazardous conditions along the edges of MI roads such that the exceptions make cyclists entitled to use more of the lane than “against the curb”?
In my experience as a person that rides my bike many hundreds of miles a year in Michigan - Pretty low.

I try to stay smart about it and keep myself out of the hospital and morgue.

That isn’t to say that there aren’t dumbasses out there.

For myself, I have never had a bottle or anything else thrown at me, never been deliberately run off the road, and never been cursed at or flipped off (except for one drunkass guy staggering around in a parking lot that threw a bottle at me as I rode by – he was so drunk, or stoned, he was a lot closer to hitting himself then me).

I don't find sharing the road and keeping to the right as being a problem - YOMV

As for the dumbasses, they may have a totally different experience, I wouldn’t know.

* This post was edited 10/21/21 07:01am by wing_zealot *

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/21 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps that is not the case everywhere in MI
Quote:

The state isn’t required to rate local, non-federal aid roads, but 79 local road agencies submitted ratings for 16,968 lane miles of non-federal-aid roads in 2018. Of those, 53% were rated “poor.” Since that is only a fraction of local roads, TAMC determined “it is probably safe to assume that, as a class, non-federal-aid roads are in worse condition than federal-aid roads.”

Michigan roads: how bad are they, how are they funded, and how on Earth can they be fixed?
MI Radio

As someone who trained and raced for many years in SC; I have experienced harassment even while riding solo (not taking up an entire lane). I also experienced harassment while riding solo in during college in MI (get off the road; ride on the pedestrian path).

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/21 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whatever, I guess I just must have a lot of good karma coming my way.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/21 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bottom line is that this 16 year old KID, with zero driving experience, was using his truck as a weapon and needs to be charged as an adult and serve time in prison for assaulting these people.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/21 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I won't pretend to be a lawyer, but it seems to me that a bicycle which is subject to the same rules of the road and is considered a vehicle with entitlements to at least a portion of the road, gets hit maliciously by another vehicle there should be charges. Why are there no charges because it's a group of cyclists? If this clown purposely accelerated into another car and injured someone he'd be charged with a slew of offenses. This just seems ridiculous. He's immune from all charges because it was cyclists? Sorry I don't get it. There's another aspect to this as well which could be in the form of civil suits. Pain, suffering, loss of work, medical bills and the loss of the bikes. These bikes aren't cheap. Damage likely in the 10's of thousands of dollars.

On edit:
response from the Police Chief on the incident. Chief statement

Also looks like a special prosecutor has been assigned to the case and expressed that the case has been mishandled from the start.link

Further; the cyclists have hired an attorney and started a civil investigation. link

* This post was edited 10/21/21 08:39am by way2roll *

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/21 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Special prosecutor that handled the Sandra Bland case does not give me a lot of confidence

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Coal-Rolling Teen Pickup Truck Driver Hits Six Cyclists
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.