RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Coal-Rolling Teen Pickup Truck Driver Hits Six Cyclists

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Coal-Rolling Teen Pickup Truck Driver Hits Six Cyclists

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/21 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

As a cyclist I have been smoked out by diesels, cussed at, called odd names, had glass bottles thrown at me on multiple occasions, swerved into on purpose and narrowly missed, and a few other things. I am very conscious about how and if I impact traffic so I always make a habit of riding on roads with wide shoulders. Once I was with my family, my son was 10 at the time and someone threw bottles at us. For no reason. I simply don't get the angst of some people toward cyclists, especially if they aren't impacting their ability to drive. Why the hate? I get that there are some cyclists with a sense of entitlement that help foster this angst. But it's a very few. Most of these instances are people that harass cyclists for fun.

OK I have my flame suit on.First off, there is absolutely no justification for this kids actions or any other violence against bikers, BUTI live in an area wher bicycling is a thing. The roads are filthy with Lance Armstrong wantabbe's that ride several abreast in the lane ignore every traffic rule ever thought off, Run stop signs en masse. A single riger is normally not a problem, but when the clubs ride and twenty or thirty, think they are in competition they have no respect for the real purpose of the roads.
Call me a hater!

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/21 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did he hit them or just hurt their feelings with diesel smoke? He should be taken to the woodshed for that. He hit someone, or caused them to wreck or harm then he will be charged.
Going to center Hill to fish for trout on more than one occasion, Bike Clubs" would block the entire lane and then some and refuse to get over when they could.This is on a very curvy narrow two lane road of over ten miles.
No wonder someone might throw a plastic water bottle at them.
They don't do that now, or at least around here. We have bike races, tours etc all the time and in groups of maybe two or three or singly. Everyone yields the road to them. Not sure what the reception would be if they blocked traffic.
Lots of diesels, not new, don't have cats or emissions reductions in power.
There are no California mandated emissions tests either.

* This post was edited 09/30/21 09:54am by down home *

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/21 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

he hurt their feelings sooo bad that they had to be air lifted to a local hospital

Quote:

In this case, instead of blowing smoke on the cyclists, the teen motorist accelerated into the group, police and a witness said. Four were hospitalized, two of which had to be airlifted to a Houston hospital because of the severity of their injuries.

Source

* This post was edited 09/30/21 10:08am by BCSnob *

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/21 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

way2roll wrote:

As a cyclist I have been smoked out by diesels, cussed at, called odd names, had glass bottles thrown at me on multiple occasions, swerved into on purpose and narrowly missed, and a few other things. I am very conscious about how and if I impact traffic so I always make a habit of riding on roads with wide shoulders. Once I was with my family, my son was 10 at the time and someone threw bottles at us. For no reason. I simply don't get the angst of some people toward cyclists, especially if they aren't impacting their ability to drive. Why the hate? I get that there are some cyclists with a sense of entitlement that help foster this angst. But it's a very few. Most of these instances are people that harass cyclists for fun.

OK I have my flame suit on.First off, there is absolutely no justification for this kids actions or any other violence against bikers, BUTI live in an area wher bicycling is a thing. The roads are filthy with Lance Armstrong wantabbe's that ride several abreast in the lane ignore every traffic rule ever thought off, Run stop signs en masse. A single riger is normally not a problem, but when the clubs ride and twenty or thirty, think they are in competition they have no respect for the real purpose of the roads.
Call me a hater!

No hate here. You are 100% correct and it irritates me too. I've been on club rides where I see other riders doing this and I yell at them to knock it off. Almost daring motorists to do something. It puts the rest of us, who are doing our best to share the road, at risk and gives us a bad name. Not sure why some riders think they own the road. It's not the way I ride. On a benefit ride a few years ago we had several clubs show up from other towns. They started hogging lanes and I had a talk with them. I explained to them, that I live here and ride these roads every day. So when you clog up traffic and irritate motorists, I get he benefit of some of the things I described above. I told the ride director and those clubs were not allowed to ride in subsequent years. Bad apples.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/21 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First to answer the question "Did the kid hit them or just blow smoke" YES in fact life flight had to be called to transport or so I'm told.

Now to the Lance Armstrong Wannabee post.. (NOTE I am not trying to make fun of your post just identifying it)

Most people do NOT know this but in many states.. MICHIGAN INCLUDED.. Bicycles are "Vehicles" under the Vehicle Code.. NOTE that I did not say "Motor Vehicle Code" for that is not the name of the code.. In Michigan it is the Michigan Vehicle Code and I suspect in your state it's "you state's name here" Vehicle Code (Thank you Lou and Peter Berryman for that excelent "your state's name here" line)

They are required to Ride on the right. in fact the right hand edge of the lane. Obey Red lights. Stop signs and where low enough speed limits.. Signal turns and more....

In Michigan (This varies greatly state to state) if you have a clean driving record you can take Driver's ED at 15 and get a "learner's permit" the a probationary Operators (Drivers) License at 16 and finally a full license later

But if as a child you get a ticket for violating a traffic law ON A BICYCLE you might end up being 21 before you get a Operators License (Not sure of the age)

And once you get a Operator's license.... A ticket on a bicycle gets the same points as if you were riding a Harley or driving a Jeep.

But most, including police, don't actually know that.

For many years I pedaled my .... body parts.... about town not having a car just a 3-speed Huffy Bicycle, later (I now have) and 18 speed "Generic" Bicycle that needs some TLC before I can ride it again (need to re-do a cable, Lube, new tires) so back in the 70s I looked up the Michigan Vehicle Code and did a presentation on it to city council.. People kept writing letters "We need laws" We got laws. We just need to enforce them.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/21 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Call me a hater!

Well, I once had to wait over a hour because a warmongering Texan wanted Bar-Be-Que a couple of blocks from water department stockpile yard. Do I declare open season on all Texans, or just the politicians?
If anybody is breaking traffic laws, it is not my job to enforce the law.
When I was riding, I would ride the right edge of the lane, and most times about 10 MPH. Cars would share my lane, pass me going 30 MPH. Traffic light stops cars, I keep my 10, sharing the lane. The same driver that has no issue passing me get's pantries in wad when I pass them.
Note, I understand that I should not pass on right, but I also understand that I have a legal right to the whole lane. On streets where the lanes are under 12 ft, I do not trust all drivers could pass me, so I ride the left wheel track.

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/21 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be grateful you're not a cyclist (or pedestrian) in Florida. They both get struck and left for dead.....a lot.

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/21 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen cyclists doing this deliberately in order to antagonize motorists. Not smart. It's like antagonizing a T-Rex. Glad you call them on it. Saw one incident where the cyclists hogging the lane abreast were flipping off the motorist behind them. The rest of us stuck behind these rude cyclists had the benefit of seeing them pulled over by cops after a couple of miles. Someone called LEOs on their cell.

Don't think it will change much but if the clubs have these kinds of people in them they should think about revoking their membership. They should also require a course on local road laws and road courtesy.

* This post was edited 10/01/21 06:17am by an administrator/moderator *

"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/21 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While the flipping off is uncalled for, I question the "hogging the lane". The fact is it is not safe to let all drivers share your lane. And while you in your cage may not understand or like it, on most roads, that bike is entitled to the use of a whole lane. If you want to pass, by law, you should move into another lane to do it.
Just like the RV rolling below the speed you want to run. You can pass, but if another vehicle pulls up behind, and will not pass, it is much harder to pass, unless they leave room for you to get back in lane and slow down to match speed. A dozen bicycles, riding in tight formation, would be no harder to pass than a truck rolling the same speed.

* This post was edited 10/01/21 06:17am by an administrator/moderator *

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/21 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perhaps after years of enduring motorists honking, yelling out the window, and tossing items out the window at them as the vehicle came along side the cyclists while passing and then listening to the motorists laughing at what they had done; some cyclists have decided it’s safer to hog the lane. At least hogging the lane forces motorists to use the other lane (or at least some of it) while passing as opposed to squeezing past in the same lane while there is oncoming traffic. (These are from personal experience while not riding in a group)

Rolling coal is just another “fun thing” for motorists to do while passing cyclists.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Coal-Rolling Teen Pickup Truck Driver Hits Six Cyclists
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.