RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Coal-Rolling Teen Pickup Truck Driver Hits Six Cyclists

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Coal-Rolling Teen Pickup Truck Driver Hits Six Cyclists

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/21 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

he hurt their feelings sooo bad that they had to be air lifted to a local hospital

Quote:

In this case, instead of blowing smoke on the cyclists, the teen motorist accelerated into the group, police and a witness said. Four were hospitalized, two of which had to be airlifted to a Houston hospital because of the severity of their injuries.

Source

[emoticon]

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/21 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If he caused them to go to the hospital a stay in the hoosegow will adjust his attitude!

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/21 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The driver should be prosecuted to the fullest extent applicable. No justification and, I suspect, no realistic mitigating factors.

That being said, I miss the rules in the jx where I went to post-grad: it was pretty straightforward: A cyclist riding had the same rights and duties as a motor vehicle; including required to stop at stop signs, not to impede traffic, required use of signals, etc. Wasn't always enforced and many cyclists (and LEO's) didn't know the rules, but the regulation was there if needed. The flip side was the cyclists walking / off their bike had the same rights and duties as pedestrians.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/21 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

The driver allegedly asked "Do you think I'm going to jail?" when he exited his truck after the collision, according to eyewitness Chase Ferrell. Moments before hitting the cyclists, the teenager blew exhaust smoke on Ferrell who was a few paces behind the group, he said. He tried catching up to the truck intending to speak with the driver when he saw the collision firsthand.

"As I was trying to catch up, I saw him doing the same thing to the group of cyclists that he (eventually) hit," Ferrell said. "He was pulling over to get closer to them in their lane when he accelerated and went right into them. He just ran them over. It was nuts."

link

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/21 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This news article (Link)has an update on the “hurt feelings” of the cyclists.
Quote:

T he six cyclists who were run over by a pickup truck driver in Waller County, Texas, on September 25 are all now recovering at home, according to an update posted by Bike Law and the cyclists’ retained attorneys on October 2.

Their physical injuries include “broken vertebrae, cervical and lumbar spinal injuries, broken collarbones, hands, and wrists—many of which require surgical intervention—as well as multiple traumatic brain injuries, lacerations, soft tissue damage, road rash, and extensive bruising”.

And yet there have been no charges

This article also indicates the driver is connected
Quote:

The D.A.’s statement also confirmed that the driver is in some way connected to Waller city officials.

“At this point we can confirm there are some connections, but have yet to see evidence of a city official directing the officer on the scene as to how to handle this particular situation. We will continue to look for any such criminal interference as the investigation proceeds.”

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

This article also indicates the driver is connected
Quote:

The D.A.’s statement also confirmed that the driver is in some way connected to Waller city officials.

“At this point we can confirm there are some connections, but have yet to see evidence of a city official directing the officer on the scene as to how to handle this particular situation. We will continue to look for any such criminal interference as the investigation proceeds.”

Reminds me of the story of a kid throwing rocks at cars on the freeway. The story is much longer but he was the child of a city councilperson as I recall (Oh yes. one of the cars he "Rocked" was royal blue with maze trim and a red light on top... yup Michigan state police.. The troopers were way way smarter than the idiot so he got a free ride in that very same car).

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem is that the good ole' boys weren't riding the bicycles... The driver absolutely should be held accountable.

This hit pretty close to home for me (no pun intended). I have a friend who has been in the hospital for more than three weeks now, one in ICU, after being struck while riding his bike. He had multiple broken bones including both legs, one ankle, pelvis, ribs and one arm plus internal injuries and bleeding. He was riding legally and on the far right side of the roadway. He has had five surgeries so far including an emergency surgery the day of the crash. They have already said he will likely need several more surgeries. He will not walk again until at least Christmas and may not ever walk normally again. There was no indication it was intentional on the part of the driver or that they were trying to intimidate my friend and was likely just inattention. I say all of this to say please pay attention and watch for cyclist. As I taught my kids, even if you are in the right or have the right of way, always avoid a crash if possible.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DO we know the status of the prosecution.
I see calls here for what sounds rather close to a lynch mob.
I'm kind of opposed to those for obvious reasons.
But I'd not be opposed to seeing a judge grant the idiot a decade or two of quality meditative time to think about it along with a bill for the damages and medical costs and pain and suffering and .. anything else the judge can think of.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There’s a “link” to an article with updates in my previous post

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/21 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just yesterday near me, a runner was mowed down on a road so straight that you could snap a chalk line from one end to the other.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Coal-Rolling Teen Pickup Truck Driver Hits Six Cyclists
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.