RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What is UPSN and how do you track it?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> What is UPSN and how do you track it?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/21 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ordered something from Amazon the other day and said it was shipped UPSN and was provided a long tracking number of only numbers - no characters. I googled 8 ways from Sunday on what UPSN is and how to track and can't come up with anything that works. Apparently it's a relationship with UPS and USPS but the tracking number doesn't work for either. Anyone have any clue?

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

dalenoel

S.E. Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/21 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

United Parcel Service United States. This link may help you.

USPN is surepost, UPS picks up the package and delivers it to your local post office for them to deliver or in some instances just delivers it themselves.

It will have 2 tracking numbers, one starts with “1z” for its time in the UPS system, and a longer one.. like 26 digits for its time with the post office.

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/order-management-sw/9.2.1?topic=carriers-united-parcel-service-united-states-upsn

03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/21 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dalenoel wrote:

United Parcel Service United States. This link may help you.

USPN is surepost, UPS picks up the package and delivers it to your local post office for them to deliver or in some instances just delivers it themselves.

It will have 2 tracking numbers, one starts with “1z” for its time in the UPS system, and a longer one.. like 26 digits for its time with the post office.

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/order-management-sw/9.2.1?topic=carriers-united-parcel-service-united-states-upsn

I read that as well, however the tracking number doesn't work in either system. ( I was never provided the UPS tracking number only the numerical only one)

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/21 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's probably happened is UPS dropped it off at the PO, the PO assigned the number but the package is sitting somewhere in purgatory. This has happened to me multiple times and I have never received the package. UPS says they dropped it off, PO says they never received it. If it's only been a few days then I'd wait a few more and then try tracking again. Good luck

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Diamond c

West ky

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/30/21 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

UPS ( he big brown trucks ) has sold out to someone else, I don’t know who. That may be USPN.

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/21 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

TFI International has completed its previously announced acquisition of UPS Freight, the company said April 30.

The UPS division, which is focused on less-than-truckload and dedicated truckload shipments, was acquired by TFI in an $800 million deal announced in January.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/21 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moderator wrote:

Quote:

TFI International has completed its previously announced acquisition of UPS Freight, the company said April 30.

The UPS division, which is focused on less-than-truckload and dedicated truckload shipments, was acquired by TFI in an $800 million deal announced in January.

Interesting, thanks. I always thought UPS had great tracking. This new system - not so much.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/21 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So it seems the numerical tracking number is for USPS despite being shipped by UPS. The tracking number while valid only says awaiting drop off from shipper. Estimated delivery 10/4. The package arrived today - lol. In this day and age of technology, why don't companies invest in logistics that are informative to their customers? UPS used to be awesome with this. Now it's a vacuum.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/21 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's mainly a vacuum because this is a sort of hybrid delivery service: UPS (or whomever it was) ships it most of the way, and then turns it over to the USPS for local delivery. Your tracking number is just for the USPS part of that process. Since the local delivery part happens very quickly, possibly just from your local post office to your mailbox, and USPS updates their tracking info relatively infrequently, you don't get much useful information. Doubtless UPS is internally tracking the shipment through their systems for the first part of its journey, but alas you don't have access to that with the USPS tracking number.

If you (or the company you were buying from) wanted shipping with more complete tracking information, they could choose a less inexpensive shipping option, e.g. one where the shipper themselves delivered the parcel to your door.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> What is UPSN and how do you track it?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.