|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New shore service tripled energy bill

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/21 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is quite high I think. Our refrigerator/freezer ran, once cold, with ac running at 72 degrees about 5-10 minutes out of an hour, unless we were preparing meals and in and out of ,the fridge ad freezer.
Long cords, in high heat like Kingman Az will drop voltage, from experience, but effect on power consumption, I'm not sure

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/21 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a pole barn that is far enough from our house that it has it's own electric service. And when you have more than one service on one property you have to pay at commercial rate on one of them.

KnowNuthin

Centennial, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/21 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dusty R wrote:

We have a pole barn that is far enough from our house that it has it's own electric service. And when you have more than one service on one property you have to pay at commercial rate on one of them.

That's an interesting concept... never really thought about it, but it makes sense...

What we did, though, was to tap into an unused 50 amp service in our garage and run the wires underground approximately 100' to our pole barn... the garage now has a 50 amp breaker where the outlet once resided, there is a second breaker in the barn (next to the RV power outlet) to shut the power off... and a third breaker in the main panel of the house...

A bit of overkill, but, according to our electrician, it was the least expensive way of going about things... my wife, who is an electrical engineer, signed off on the plan so I'm good with it...

2005 2500HD D/A CC LB 4X4 being pushed by:
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2007 Ural GearUp Arctic

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I added 50 amy service for my 5th wheel, we leave the fridge going all summer and use it for guests and such also. I have never even noticed an increase that is worth mentioning in my power bill..

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dusty R wrote:

The higher rate charged for commercial service might cost more but would have nothing to do with the number of kWh's used which the OP says has dramatically increased.

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 07:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So let me see if I got this right. Your house and garage use 400kwh in a month and your 5th wheel (Litely used) uses 800kwh and you want to know if that sounds right?
NFW - there is absolutely something not right.
Whether it is sloppy workmanship, defective materials, or poor quality something is wrong between the garage and the RV (which also includes the RV and its infrastructure). Time to get a voltmeter out and see where all the power is going.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New shore service tripled energy bill
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.