RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Australian Truck Campers are dramatically growing

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Australian Truck Campers are dramatically growing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/21 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^ I don't think anyone here is so naive as to think that the Japanese don't make medium and heavy duty trucks. We just don't see many here since it's hard for them to compete due to import taxes. Japanese cabovers up to about 19K GVWR are very popular, and up until 10 years ago or so, Isuzu imported trucks up to 50K GVWR. I've driven a couple of 24 foot Isuzu box trucks and they drive very nicely.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/21 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the reason why Toyota etc don’t try to compete in the medium and heavy duty trucks is that the US trucks are pretty good. They waited far too late get in the market. I know some people like Tundras, but the only trucks they actually win with are the Tacomas.

There have been rumors that Toyota was going to produce a 3/4 and/or 1 ton for years. I get it why invest in building here when you have a very uphill battle to take market share.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/21 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

^^^ I don't think anyone here is so naive as to think that the Japanese don't make medium and heavy duty trucks. We just don't see many here since it's hard for them to compete due to import taxes. Japanese cabovers up to about 19K GVWR are very popular, and up until 10 years ago or so, Isuzu imported trucks up to 50K GVWR. I've driven a couple of 24 foot Isuzu box trucks and they drive very nicely.

Also they are Cabovers as well. Isuzu's you have driven would be classified as a Light Medium Truck here with the small 5.2 litre Diesel. Isuzu's go up to 15litres in capacity. 4x4 Isuzu's are the basis for some Truck Camper and Expedition Vehicles..Isuzu's are the equivalent of Freightliner and Volvo in the US as regards heavy Trucks

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/21 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]
jimh425 wrote:

I think the reason why Toyota etc don’t try to compete in the medium and heavy duty trucks is that the US trucks are pretty good. They waited far too late get in the market. I know some people like Tundras, but the only trucks they actually win with are the Tacomas.

There have been rumors that Toyota was going to produce a 3/4 and/or 1 ton for years. I get it why invest in building here when you have a very uphill battle to take market share.

I think Toyota was not interested in giving the US HD Pickup Trucks. Toyota makes a lot of profit from the Tacoma and to a lesser extent the Tundra. This is dominating the market in the Tacoma's case and being profitable with the Tundra
Here is an older Toyota Hilux with a Truck Camper[image]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/21 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^But a Hilux is not a HD truck. Not even close. It’s more like a Tacoma with Tundra axles and a heavy duty suspension.
Not sure I’ve ever even seen an actual heavy duty Toyota pickup.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/21 11:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do enjoy your periodic posts showing the Australian version of truck camper.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/21 01:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:

I do enjoy your periodic posts showing the Australian version of truck camper.

Truck Campers or Slideons here have grown but then again the whole RV industry in Australia has gone ballistic.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/21 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love the post!!…BTW, do you still have your Eagle Cap and Ram, and how does your rig fair compared to other rigs per popular opinion??

3 tons

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/21 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

Love the post!!…BTW, do you still have your Eagle Cap and Ram, and how does your rig fair compared to other rigs per popular opinion??

3 tons

OMG, say it ain’t so…RR has or used to have an American truck and camper??
Can’t wait to hear about it. Lol.

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/21 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

3 tons wrote:

3 tons

OMG, say it ain’t so…RR has or used to have an American truck and camper??
Can’t wait to hear about it. Lol.

Getting me confused with someone else. No never had those. The fellow you thinking of is called Doug, He was from Western Australia. RAM's are most common US conversion, will sell about 4000 this year, but they are basically used as cars. US Truck Campers? Pretty well non existent

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Australian Truck Campers are dramatically growing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.