RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Covid-test protocols for U.S. citizen RETURNING FROM Canada?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Covid-test protocols for U.S. citizen RETURNING FROM Canada?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
ParkCountry

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/21 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, All. I entered Alberta on Sept. 7 through the Coutts, Alberta, port of entry. I had with me a hard copy proving that my Covid test that was taken within the previous 72 hours was Negative. What I cannot find is IF I, as a returning U.S. Citizen, am REQUIRED to show proof of a Negative PCR Covid test, taken within the past 72 hours, to Border officials when I return to the U.S. on Tuesday, October 5, 2021, through the Sweetgrass, Montana, port of entry.

My online research has been fruitless for reentry by VEHICLE. All the websites I have looked at refer to returning U.S. citizens reentering the U.S. BY AIR. In that case, yes, one needs a Negative Covid test taken with the past 72 hours. But I can find NOTHING that specifically addresses the requirements if traveling by LAND. Can someone PLEASE tell my just exactly what the requirements are? I suspect that I'll have to indeed get a Covid test, but, like most people, I don't want to needlessly spend $200 on a Covid test if it turns out I really didn't have to. I'm currently in Calgary but thinking of getting the test in Lethbridge if it is available. Can anyone give me advice as to what Labs in Calgary and Lethbridge I should use? This has been an extraordinary exercise in futility so far. Thanks for all of your help in advance!

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/01/21 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

have you tried calling the Canadian border authorities?

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/21 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Entering USA from Canada; not sure this will help...

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/01/21 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Better information

Sept. 29, 2021

ParkCountry

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/21 11:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for your responses. As it turned out, I STILL could not find any definitive answers to my basic question. All resources that I could dig up on the web referred to AIR travelers needing a Covid test, but NO references made as to LAND travelers. In the end, I ended up getting a rapid Antigen test from Numi Health in Calgary. At $75.00 CDN, I felt that it was a small price to pay for some assurance and peace of mind in case such a test was REALLY a requirement for crossing back into the U.S. 200 miles is a long way to go from Calgary to the border crossing at Coutts, only to be denied entry.

As it turned out, the test results were available only 5 minutes from the time I had my nasal cavity swabbed. Further, the CBP officer manning the booth at the Sweetgrass, Montana, crossing informed me that the Covid test was NOT necessary for reentry. Oh, well. Better safe than sorry. I have no regrets whatsoever over having spent the equivalent of about $60.00 USD. That had to be the easiest border crossing I've ever made. All he wanted to see was my Passport. He returned it to me saying, "Welcome Home, brother." Those three words meant a lot to me.

And for those Americans who are contemplating a trip to visit our friendly neighbors to the North, I say GO. Such a beautiful country, and such a beautiful people we have next door, and exceedingly safe. This trip was not my first, and it certainly won't be my last. I've already got plans for a return next year.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Covid-test protocols for U.S. citizen RETURNING FROM Canada?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.