RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Flying J frustrations - Alternatives?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Flying J frustrations - Alternatives?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RRinNFla

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/21 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s not just a matter of the convenience of using the RV lane for fueling it’s also a matter of having a place to park after fueling. (One of my pet peeves is motorists who disappear after fueling while others are waiting in line)

I like the convenience of Flying J, and I am willing to pay a little extra for the convenience. I admit I was venting a little about bad service, but my main reason for posting was to see if other travelers might be aware of an equivalent setup to Flying J. So far I haven’t heard any.

Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/21 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RRinNFla wrote:

It’s not just a matter of the convenience of using the RV lane for fueling it’s also a matter of having a place to park after fueling. (One of my pet peeves is motorists who disappear after fueling while others are waiting in line)

I like the convenience of Flying J, and I am willing to pay a little extra for the convenience. I admit I was venting a little about bad service, but my main reason for posting was to see if other travelers might be aware of an equivalent setup to Flying J. So far I haven’t heard any.

The only other fuel stops I've found with dedicated RV lanes for fueling and parking are the few Pilot and Loves stations that are former Flying J stations. When Pilot bought Flying J, they were required to divest some number of stations by the FTC, and they sold them to Loves. The other PFJ brand swaps occurred where they had both brands in close proximity and the existing Flying J was rebranded to Pilot when the nearby Pilot station was sold to Loves.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

MikeDupont

TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/21 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fwiw, i recently saw that the Haslam family sold their stand alone Pilot stations and "will concentrate on their Pilot/Flying J stations".

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/21 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MikeDupont wrote:

fwiw, i recently saw that the Haslam family sold their stand alone Pilot stations and "will concentrate on their Pilot/Flying J stations".

The 38 locations around Knoxville that are being sold to Casey's General Stores are convenience stores, not truck stops/travel centers. The privately held company that operates them is wholly owned by the Haslam family and the sale will have no effect on the 750 PFJ travel centers owned by the Pilot Company that the Haslams own 50.1% of. Berkshire Hathaway and FJ Management (former Flying J) own the balance.

Nv Guy

Reno NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/06/21 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is exactly why I invested in an in bed fuel tank. We get to the CG, unhook and buy reasonably priced fuel where I can pay at the pump without waiting in line or doing the back and forth walk.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/21 10:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I get to Camp the last thing I want to do is go back to town to fill up.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/21 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First thing I want to do is get out of the camp ground and go explore. Its like a parking lot to me. Can get gas while roaming

MikeDupont

TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/21 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

MikeDupont wrote:

The 38 locations around Knoxville that are being sold to Casey's General Stores are convenience stores, not truck stops/travel centers. The privately held company that operates them is wholly owned by the Haslam family and the sale will have no effect on the 750 PFJ travel centers owned by the Pilot Company that the Haslams own 50.1% of. Berkshire Hathaway and FJ Management (former Flying J) own the balance.

exactly right. i think i said the same thing. albeit with less detail. thanks for that.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/21 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RRinNFla wrote:

Park, as in free "overnighting"?

If that is the case, truckstops are the last place to be as they tend to be busy (noisy) 24/7. We opt for gassing up at fuel places then move to other parking lots like WM..

This yr we used a Interstate rest stop which offered no services and instead of heading into the truck area we parked in the car section (while towing our TT)which was away from the big rigs, was a bit calmer and quieter than overnighting in WM..

Going inside to pay?

We don't any more, we used to pay with cash but finding fuel stations that do not require prepaying has gotten difficult.. So, we started to buy prepaid giftcards we bough at home at a discount. The downside to gift cards was they only work at the fuel brand you bought them for.

To get around that, we started buying throw away VISA or Mastercard prepaid debit cards and use those in the pump reader. Downside to those cards is the upfront $2-$4 dollar fee when you buy and load them but keeps us from sticking our credit card into pump readers that may have been hacked.

Park, as in going inside to browse the store?

We don't go to gas stations to browse around their store offerings, they provide a "convenience" to the customer by offering food and trinkets but at a higher cost than if you went to a grocery store..

We buy and carry all of our snacks and drinks we need before leaving on our trips and buy additional snacks and drinks as needed at grocery stores.

As far as space goes, we pull a 26ft bumper pull TT, your 32ft 5th isn't that much longer than what our bumper pull is and we really have not had much trouble finding fuel stations large enough to allow use easy access.. It does take some thought before committing to pull in.

We also added a 15 gallon "landscaper tank" rated for gasoline a few yrs back that I can pump into the truck tank at any rest stop we make. Adds an additional 150 miles to our 34 gallon truck tank which gets about 340 miles. Basically gives us 49 gallons with 490 miles worth of range. Cut down on the amount of fuel stops we need to make.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/21 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

RRinNFla wrote:

Park, as in free "overnighting"?

If that is the case, truckstops are the last place to be as they tend to be busy (noisy) 24/7. We opt for gassing up at fuel places then move to other parking lots like WM..

This yr we used a Interstate rest stop which offered no services and instead of heading into the truck area we parked in the car section (while towing our TT)which was away from the big rigs, was a bit calmer and quieter than overnighting in WM..

Going inside to pay?

We don't any more, we used to pay with cash but finding fuel stations that do not require prepaying has gotten difficult.. So, we started to buy prepaid giftcards we bough at home at a discount. The downside to gift cards was they only work at the fuel brand you bought them for.

To get around that, we started buying throw away VISA or Mastercard prepaid debit cards and use those in the pump reader. Downside to those cards is the upfront $2-$4 dollar fee when you buy and load them but keeps us from sticking our credit card into pump readers that may have been hacked.

Park, as in going inside to browse the store?

We don't go to gas stations to browse around their store offerings, they provide a "convenience" to the customer by offering food and trinkets but at a higher cost than if you went to a grocery store..

We buy and carry all of our snacks and drinks we need before leaving on our trips and buy additional snacks and drinks as needed at grocery stores.

As far as space goes, we pull a 26ft bumper pull TT, your 32ft 5th isn't that much longer than what our bumper pull is and we really have not had much trouble finding fuel stations large enough to allow use easy access.. It does take some thought before committing to pull in.

We also added a 15 gallon "landscaper tank" rated for gasoline a few yrs back that I can pump into the truck tank at any rest stop we make. Adds an additional 150 miles to our 34 gallon truck tank which gets about 340 miles. Basically gives us 49 gallons with 490 miles worth of range. Cut down on the amount of fuel stops we need to make.

Nice story! What was the point again?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Flying J frustrations - Alternatives?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.