RV.Net Open Roads Forum: High profile tires on off road packages on trailers. hmmm

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

 > High profile tires on off road packages on trailers. hmmm

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/02/21 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello all. We are closing in on ordering our little 18 foot teardrop trailer. We chose to not get the high profile larger rim size tires as we want to keep a low profile and the tires add a couple inches, not to mention the chihuahua will have a hard time with the higher step. [emoticon] We are also pulling with an SUV so lower is better.

But for conversation sakes, it seems really common nowadays to see little trailers with big storky tires on them. I can't help but think there would be significant mileage hits because

a. the trailer is higher and bigger going thru the air
b. it seems those kinds of tires would be less efficient being dragged down the road.

c. Finally, are they easy to find if one has a bad string of blowouts?

Cheers all.

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

Senior Member

Joined: 11/09/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/02/21 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

True, true, and maybe - depends on which particular tire size they are.

One advantage of them is higher ground clearance, which reduces the chances of rocks and other objects snagging something on the underside of the trailer.

In some cases, they're sold with a "high-lift" axle option that also increases ground clearance a bit.

Some trailers have low-hanging dump valves which are prone to road damage, so a couple extra inches of height can be worthwhile - particularly if you like to take the trailer off paved roads.

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/02/21 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skibane wrote:

True, true, and maybe - depends on which particular tire size they are.

One advantage of them is higher ground clearance, which reduces the chances of rocks and other objects snagging something on the underside of the trailer.

In some cases, they're sold with a "high-lift" axle option that also increases ground clearance a bit.

Some trailers have low-hanging dump valves which are prone to road damage, so a couple extra inches of height can be worthwhile - particularly if you like to take the trailer off paved roads.


Yah I suppose clearance can be good for some more extreme type towing. I think we’ll be fine without the extra 2 inches of clearance. We’ll be dragging it on and off ferries quite a bit though. Hmmmm.

Thanks for the input.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 01/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/02/21 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The larger diameter the tire, the slower the wheel bearings have to spin. If they aren’t too stiff, a larger tire may be smoother on bumps.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/02/21 11:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But the mud tire look on little campers is 99% just that. The look.
Looks cool, in reality, when’s the last time anyone needed mudders on a travel trailer?


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Unobtanium

NY

New Member

Joined: 09/24/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/03/21 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Larger wheels and tires put more stress on everything else, I found that out the hard way with lifted trucks over the years. RV manufacturers are not beefing up the RV construction when they do this, they just use taller springs or taller brackets. It's still the same frame and axles, and usually a pos Lippert frame at that. Nothing more than additional bling, it looks cool.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

Senior Member

Joined: 11/09/2020

View Profile



Posted: 10/03/21 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you plan on camping/boondocking on the vast BLM lands of western USA then I would definitely go with the higher clearance off-road package. I have spent years of camping in the BLM with and without TT.

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/03/21 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure that all the height increase is in the tires. Often they make other changes, some of which might be needed to clear the larger tires. Now, if the tires are wider, they will pull harder on pavement, but on soft ground will cut in less, roll easier.


Unobtanium wrote:

Larger wheels and tires put more stress on everything else, I found that out the hard way with lifted trucks over the years.



You might want to check that when talking about wheels that are not driven. Much of the stress you saw was from driving the larger tires. If trailer tires are the same width and hardness, the larger diameter will roll over things easier.
(Safety regulations require taller berms on mine roads where vehicles with taller wheels run)

Unobtanium

NY

New Member

Joined: 09/24/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/03/21 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Not sure that all the height increase is in the tires. Often they make other changes, some of which might be needed to clear the larger tires. Now, if the tires are wider, they will pull harder on pavement, but on soft ground will cut in less, roll easier.


Unobtanium wrote:

Larger wheels and tires put more stress on everything else, I found that out the hard way with lifted trucks over the years.



You might want to check that when talking about wheels that are not driven. Much of the stress you saw was from driving the larger tires. If trailer tires are the same width and hardness, the larger diameter will roll over things easier.
(Safety regulations require taller berms on mine roads where vehicles with taller wheels run)


I've looked closely at a few on lots or at shows. Looked like they used taller spring hangers. Seen one, forget brand, with torsion axles and they stitched a 4x2" piece of tube to the bottom of the paper thin machine welded frame rail. Looked really cheesy. The point is most have frames made by Lippert and they're garbage. They're lucky to hold together if babied along let along dragging them up and down goat trails no matter what size tires are installed. Look at how the box is mounted out at the end of those flimsy outriggers. I am sure someone makes a true off road one but not sure who. It's not coming out of Indiana by Thor or Forest River, Winnie/GD, etc.

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/03/21 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unobtanium wrote:

JRscooby wrote:




You might want to check that when talking about wheels that are not driven. Much of the stress you saw was from driving the larger tires. If trailer tires are the same width and hardness, the larger diameter will roll over things easier.
(Safety regulations require taller berms on mine roads where vehicles with taller wheels run)


I've looked closely at a few on lots or at shows. Looked like they used taller spring hangers. Seen one, forget brand, with torsion axles and they stitched a 4x2" piece of tube to the bottom of the paper thin machine welded frame rail. Looked really cheesy. The point is most have frames made by Lippert and they're garbage. They're lucky to hold together if babied along let along dragging them up and down goat trails no matter what size tires are installed. Look at how the box is mounted out at the end of those flimsy outriggers. I am sure someone makes a true off road one but not sure who. It's not coming out of Indiana by Thor or Forest River, Winnie/GD, etc.


What you are pointing out is, just like large tires on a 4X4, people with large tires on their trailer are likely to do stupid snot with the vehicle.
But that does not make your statement "tall tires stress vehicle" true when talking about trailers. Same weight, same tire width and hardness, the taller tire will roll over the same obstruction easier.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

 > High profile tires on off road packages on trailers. hmmm
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.