RV.Net Open Roads Forum: High profile tires on off road packages on trailers. hmmm

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> High profile tires on off road packages on trailers. hmmm

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
canoe on top

Denver, CO, US

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A two inch taller tire only gives you one inch of additional clearance.I prefer a taller tire, within reason, for the reasons mentioned above; fewer rpm and spans pot holes etc. better. A more agressive tread might help with braking on snow or mud. Not something that's going to occur for most people very often.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/21 03:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lifted trucks involve aftermarket suspension parts not up to OEM specs. Aftermarket wheels are also used frequently with offsets that stress wheel bearings, tie rods, etc.
That little trailer mentioned won't know what size tires are involved. Or care. The SUV likely gets terrible MPG already anyway.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/21 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If anything, a slightly taller tire will roll easier and spin the bearings slightly slower, but we're splitting hairs here on those fronts.
Just like the aggressive tread will cause slightly more rolling resistance, but not likely noticeable overall in fuel mileage.

So, again, aside from appearances, IMO, the tires aren't really much of an advantage or disadvantage. Ground clearance though, I can see being an advantage on smaller trailers that will get pulled up forest roads and maybe trails.

If I'm not mistaken, OP is firmly planning on pulling with a Tesla. And to that end, I'd want every aerodynamic and rolling resistance advantage possible. Not a camper with a lift kit on mudders. Not pulling with an offroad vehicle anyways. Noone in their right mind would put mudders on a Tesla and pretty sure 4wheelparts doesn't advertise any lift kits!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/21 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

big storky

What is storky?

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/21 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2. Resembling a stork. In other words, ridiculously large sized tires that make an object look taller. Sometimes related to those of small body parts.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/21 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherman wrote:

2. Resembling a stork. In other words, ridiculously large sized tires that make an object look taller. Sometimes related to those of small body parts.

Yah, pretty much. We talked to the rep yesterday and this is how it worked out. When you order the off-road package among other upgrades (which we want) it comes with a pitched axle which raises the trailer about 1.1 inch and bigger rims and tires which raise it about 1 3/4 inch. We decided to go for the pitched axle but not the bigger tires and rims. We’ll be going on and off lots of ferries so felt it would be nice to have the extra clearance. I’m sure they’ll be an efficiency hit with the extra height but it’s a pretty low trailer to begin with and the air conditioner is in the basement not on the roof. We talked to another Tesla driver pulling the same trailer and this has worked out well for them as they spent the summer dragging their trailer all over BC and had no issues with clearance etc.

Anyway. Learned a little from some of the responses on here. Thanks all.

PAThwacker

East Stroudsburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/21 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tesla lol now some odd tear drop with basement air. So what is this mysterious SUV?

2007 Jayco Select 12HW.
Lowe Bass Catcher Pro Mod-V Welded 50hp Mercury
Bell Chestnut Prospector 16ft Royalex
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/21 04:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why do they always feel the need to use a lug tread when they go to taller tires?

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/21 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PAThwacker wrote:

Tesla lol now some odd tear drop with basement air. So what is this mysterious SUV?

It’s a T@B 400. The AC is one of those Norcold Cool Cats that mount in the basement. The T@B 400 doesn’t really have a basement but the AC is mounted under the booth seat. It uses an ALDE system for heat and hot water. We had a chance to get some measurements from our friends the other day. Think it’s going to be a good fit. Not a lot of outside storage but from what we can tell we won’t need it. Probably put a couple things in the SUV (or CUV as everybody seems to correct me on. I’m not sure I know the difference. [emoticon].

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/21 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Why do they always feel the need to use a lug tread when they go to taller tires?

Not sure what a lug tread is but the tires that come on the off roading edition of this little trailer look ridiculous. We opted out of them.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> High profile tires on off road packages on trailers. hmmm
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.