RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: simple laptop solution for RV travel

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> simple laptop solution for RV travel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
obie311

Aux Arcs

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/21 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope this is the right forum. I looked at Tech Issues but that seemed to concern more mechanical problems. I looked at Workamping but it didn't seem to have any traffic.

We're planning on staying away from home for at least three months this winter while our son house sits for us.

I have a powerful PC at home and my wife has a 5 y/o Macbook Air. I would prefer not to use her Macbook on the road and I'm looking for a simple 13"-15" laptop to use with a phone hotspot to pay bills and check emails and some simple browsing like trip planning, RV forums and craigslist.

I don't want to take photos, watch videos, post social media, or play games. Strictly admin type functions.

What's available out there without a lot of bloatware that meets this kind of specs? I've heard of Chromebooks but I don't know anything about them. I don't think I want a tablet as my eyes for reading aren't that great. I usually enlarge the font on the Macbook a Command + or two.

Thanks in advance for any sage advice you may supply.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/21 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are so many models of any brand you have to be seriously involved with the industry to make any sense of it. My tactic is to go to Amazon (New Egg is another possibility), select a few brands. I generally look at ASUS and ACER just because they have worked for me. Specify your minimum processor, memory, screen size, and disk type and size.

Then I look to see what they have. New Egg is a bit harder to navigate if you aren't familiar with the site.

Personally I specify a max price and am not interested in the latest bleeding edge machines. Especially not for a notebook. And I buy a warranty for notebooks since they are less reliable than desktops. I build my own desktops.
Last time I got a good deal on a ruggedized milspec notebook a couple of generations back. Been working fine the last two years and I have a 24 in ips monitor hooked up to it.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/21 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally I would go with a IPAD. You can enlarge the print in settings or simply stretch the screen with two fingers. If your phone can be used as a Hotspot you can connect and do business with a wifi connection. If not you will need a service or trying to use free internet. But that's also true of any other device.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/21 08:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can get a basic PC from toshiba, acer, or asus for around $300-400. It will do everything you listed. For things like trip planning, I prefer it to a tablet because I can have a spreadsheet and a webpage open on the screen at the same time.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/02/21 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's a thrift store kind of place in the area here that has refurbished (or at least cleaned, tested, and wiped of old data) laptops and desktops besides the usual furniture, clothing, kitchenware, etc. They install a clean (and legitimately licensed) fairly generic Windows 10 setup with basically no additional software for the PC-compatible machines, and whatever recent version of OSX makes sense for the Macs. Maybe you can find a similar sort of place around you. Reasonably decent laptops there are generally around $150-$200; in fact, I'm posting this from a Lenovo T430s that I got there about two and a half years ago and that has worked just fine for me. The only possible complaint is that the used battery is, well, used, and doesn't last as well as one might like.

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/02/21 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agreed with above. If your budget is more than $400 I would look at a tablet or iPad for convenience based on the usage you described.

PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the creation. 5 yrs, 50k

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

obie311

Aux Arcs

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 12:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PartyOf Five wrote:

Agreed with above. If your budget is more than $400 I would look at a tablet or iPad for convenience based on the usage you described.

How easy are they to read and how large is the keyboard? I get tired of doing internet transactions on my phone.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/21 04:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a HP Chrome Book tethered to Verizon. The only thing I wish it had is a lighted keyboard.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/21 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

iPads don’t usually have external keyboards. But there are several after market keyboard/cover combos.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/21 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just got a Chromebook a couple weeks ago and LOVE it. It doesn't have all the operating system of a traditional laptop, so its very fast and responsive. I got an 11" laptop for the kids to use, then a 15.6" laptop for me for doing online college classes. It has a small hard drive, so you'll need a way to store most saved files on the cloud (or use a MicroSD card to increase storage).

Its very quick, easy to use and inexpensive. The 11" was about $150, the 15.6 was $220 on sale at Target. Both Acer brands. They charge with a USB-C cord, same as my Android phones, so I don't need to worry about bringing another charging cord camping either.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> simple laptop solution for RV travel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.