|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Starting my research

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jeff10236

Columbia, MD

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, a few years ago I sold my pop-up. While I loved the pop-up my parents had when I was a teen (in the 80's), my middle aged body didn't exactly love putting up a pop-up by myself. My middle aged, diabetic bladder also likes the idea of travelling with my own, ready to go, bathroom... just find a place to stop.

Originally, my idea was that, when I was ready, I'd get a motorhome instead of a trailer this time. However, now I'm thinking a lightweight trailer or a hybrid may be the way to go.

When the outdoors and camping IS my entire vacation, I'll take a tent. For me, camping in a camper is about an addition to the experience, not the whole experience. Even in a tent, I often use my camp site as a base of operations to use while sightseeing and checking out the area. Being in a campground and in the outdoors is just the cherry on top.

So, travelling with just a motorhome and staying in the RV park or campground like many do is not an option for me.

I had thought I'd get a motorhome and tow behind my (eventual) motorhome, but neither of my cars can be towed 4 down. My Sonata would need a dolly, my electric Ioniq would need a full trailer. So, I don't see it being any easier than an SUV or truck with a trailer, and likely it would be a bit more complicated.

Now that I have my electric car and I am living with 2 cars, I don't need one car that does it all. That was the biggest thing that made a trailer seem like the wrong choice... living with lower MPG for daily driving (and I drive a lot) so that I can camp on some weekends and on vacations. However, now that I have committed to two cars (having an electric only isn't quite convenient enough yet), why not the electric for day to day driving and a truck or SUV for towing, trips, and occasional other drives?

So, those of you with experience with different camper types, which is an easier set up, and which is easier on the road?
  • A motorhome with a car towed on a dolly or trailer
  • A truck or SUV with a lightweight trailer
  • A truck or SUV with a hybrid
  • A small Class C or a Class B that is small enough to drive around for the sightseeing but needs to be hooked up/unhooked every time I want to come and go from the site

Tow Vehicles: 2016 Kia Sorento LX V6 (sold)
Other vehicles: 2019 Hyundai Sonata Sport, 2021 Hyundai Ioniq EV (a hatchback so great for tent camping, but needs an electric hook up to charge the car)
Camper: 2003 Starcraft 2406 (sold)
Several tents

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Class C and your bev.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pickup truck and truck camper ... easy to load and unload, you can drive with it on or off, you can use your truck and leave it on the site --- It will go anywhere your truck will go. It has a full bathroom.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IMO, a Class B or Class C are the easiest.
Biggest advantages: can go from the drivers seat to the potty (or kitchen for a snack) without going outdoors. Can arrive at your destination in a downpour, push a button to start the genny - and you are camping.
Advantage of the B over the C: can park just about anywhere - no toad needed
Advantage of the C over the B: WAAY more cargo and living space.

We've had both a Class C and a van conversion - for the most part, all we ever hooked up was shore power, so leaving for an errand was no big deal (and without a toad, you learn to plan your stops before you arrive at a campground)

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hybrid. Maximum interior room and easy to tow.

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/21 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pickup with a camper or a Class B. However, both tend to have small fresh water and waste tanks.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Class B+ or C. You don't need to hook up anything. They run on propane and 12V batteries. You have a water storage tank. You don't need to dump the waste tanks until they are full. Just get in and drive.

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After 20 years with car and small trailer, then a few years with car and tent, I have happily gone solo in a small (fits in one parking space) class C for over 30 years. Plenty of space for one person and the bathroom is right there.

Questions to ask yourself before buying a B or small C:

If the toilet is the more commonly offered cassette type we are seeing now, can you handle this? My aging back is quite happy with a black tank that requires moving only a lightweight hose to dump it. Pulling a full cassette out of a camper is not possible for me. Even if you can handle this weight now, how about a few years from now?

Where are you going to keep this vehicle when not using it? Are you allowed to have it at your main residence? Storage lots are expensive. Plus, the car/RV shuttle to/from such lots can be a major pain for a solo person.

Maybe try out your vehicle of choice by renting before committing to buying one.

Happy travels!

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Jeff10236

Columbia, MD

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I barely thought about the idea of getting a small C or a B that can comfortably fit in a parking spot and unhooking when I go somewhere (hence it being last on my list, almost an afterthought). Looks like that may have the plurality of suggestions so far. Interesting. I hadn't thought about only plugging in the electric hookup, that would make it no less convenient than my electric car (i.e. no real inconvenience at all). I guess they do have large enough holding tanks that I could just add water and empty the black and gray tanks when needed. I am single, so I wouldn't need one that is too terribly large (I'm thinking 18-22' if I go with a C and no larger than a 24' if I decide I really want the Ritz Carlton treatment). Usually it would be just me, or me and a friend or two (and if one friend was a girlfriend, or if the two friends were a couple, only two beds would be needed anyway).

I probably would rent before buying if I go with something that different from what I've done before (or borrow one, my best friend is the business manager of an RV dealer, he may not be able to lend one to me for a weekend, but he can take them out himself and I can go with him). Even if I bought one with that plan (go with a small enough RV to park in standard parking spots), I could also rent a car trailer (for my Ioniq) or dolly (for my Sonata) if I occasionally wanted to bring a car (or test out a TOAD if I thought about going larger later).

For a class B, the cost may stop me (even used, they seem to cost much more than a C). Do you get better workmanship and materials for that cost? If so, that may alleviate some of the price difference. An advantage I can see of that is that you can go a bit more stealth. I am a teacher, and in a few years I want to do a cross country trip over the summer. For some stops that are just overnight stopovers for a few hours sleep, being able to stop in a Walmart (or similar) parking lot without drawing much attention could be nice.

Quote:

If the toilet is the more commonly offered cassette type we are seeing now, can you handle this?

Oh, that is something to look out for. I'm in better health than I have been in decades (2 years ago I started losing weight, within a year I was down over 100LBS, I've only gained about 10LBS of it back over the past year). However, I had a shower and cassette toilet in my pop up and never used them since they were a pain in the... I definitely want a real RV bathroom, using the drain hose, while a little gross for a short period, seems pretty easy. I'll have to keep an eye out (I thought that was only something I had to look out for on some of the smaller trailers).

Quote:

Where are you going to keep this vehicle when not using it?

Where I live now, I can't leave anything like that at home (I could store a pop-up in the garage I suppose if I change my mind about another pop-up). I will be buying a new place, possibly next spring, no more than a year or two. However, most places around here have HOAs that ban boats and RVs in the driveway. So, I am planning on needing to store (when I had my pop-up, I had to pay for storage for half the time I had it).

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/21 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some considerations
A motor home is very fast to set up compared to a Trailer, even a solid trailer.
IN fact if I parked in the rain I could do all the initial set up without setting foot outside the rig on my class A. Run off batteies till the rain let up enough to plug in.. also when traveling (in the rain) and feel the need for a rest stop.. Every thing needed was IN HOUSE so no need to get wet.

Finally in this line. Most motor homes have generators. I put one heavy duty outlet on the RV and used it to power the house when Detroit Edison failed. Worked very well very very well. I only needed about 3500 of my 5500 watts (120 volt only no 240 volt stuff).

Another consideration MPG.. No matter if towing a Nice Trailer with a bit Pickup or towing a small car with a similar size class a. About the same MPG.

But running to the store for a loaf of bread... Car cn hit 25-35 MPG. That big pickup, if you are lucky 16-20

Finally.. a word of advice.. As you travel the water is a bit different, it can take you a few days to adjust to the differences in the bacteria and mineral content of the local water... During that time there are often what I call.. "After Effects"

And the length of "Just a minute" depends entirely on which side of the door you are on.

So a bath and a half Class A.... 2 holes... No waiting.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Starting my research
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.