|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Long route travel plans

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thinking ahead to next year fall time...

I've always been about the destination, fastest route to get there. This is going to be a revolutionary change in my thinking.

How are long trips that become more about the travel, planned? My thinking is leaving south central MI, going through the UP, across the top of the US wandering into Montana, then heading towards AZ. Would like to spend some time in quartzite as well as visiting a friend in Havasu, then wandering down to TX and maybe even all the way over to FL.

Goal would be to return to MI in April/May.

obgraham

TriCites WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weather will determine where you go and when.

agwill

enosburg falls, vt

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whoa my friend slow down as you said it will be different. There are things to see and do all over but timing is everything. How late are are you planning to start. What type of rig do you have? How warm do you want to be? When we first start many drive every day for many hours and never take time to smell the roses. Have that second cup in the morning before leaving. Stop by 4pm everyday and relax. No fun setting up in the dark. Most people average 50 mph while traveling. Getting there is half the fun.

al

SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/21 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wonderful! You just discovered rving, the trip is as great as the destination. Along the way find and learn about those who live there. A cornfield in Iowa might be your next destination.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/03/21 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a 6-8 month trip don’t even plan ahead in any more than general ideas. Think about certain areas of the country you think you want to be in certain months. Beyond that, just wake up in the morning and decide what you want to do that day, and maybe the next few days afterward. Don’t stress out a good trip trying to plan every day and place in advance.

kknowlton

southeast Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/03/21 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a planner, and I don't like having to "make do" in a case when no CGs would be available. In the fall, that's a special consideration on the route you're thinking of, since many CGs that far north will have closed by October, certainly by the end of October. Anyway, given those 2 points, I would be starting to plan - especially pinning down the general route - about now, a year or so ahead, and looking to making reservations in places like national & state parks, other popular tourist areas, and on weekends, between 6 and 8 months ahead (many state parks allow that much advance time for reservations, and usually fill up pretty much right away - especially these days, with RVing so popular.) That's just how I'd handle it. (Since you asked. [emoticon] )

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/21 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Drive no more than 5 hours. Got a hobby? Does the wife have any interests? We always stop at small rural knit and quilt shops, even if it's 50 miles of back tracking. We try to drive through smaller towns, to see what they have to offer. It's not a race. Driving 70+mph is exhausting, whether you know it or not.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/21 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PhilH,

You sound like the type that avoids blue roads and major urban areas.
Unfortunately, you have missed the two best planners ever produced....
I am referring to to Strips and Treats and Street Alas. With either, you could lay out a route and adjust it as you learn. They would be telling you where to start looking for fuel and a place to crash for the night. They were also the best enroute navigators ever if you bought a GPS puck to plug in. Like having a big road map with a "You Are Here" arrow on it. But, I digress, they are both dead and there is no replacement as a stand alone. Don't even mention RV Trip planner. That is an expensive online service and if you don't have wire (internet access) 100% of the time it is useless and can't be a navigator at all. It can do as well as the others like Furkot, which is a free online app.

Your best solution (IMNSHO) is to get (or have a friend get) a USA map from AAA. I nice soft pencil and a big eraser. Figure out how long on the map scale is a 3~400 mile day's drive and start dreaming....

Read all the guide books you can and ask friends and relatives that have been there what they thought.

Most of all, keep dreaming.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog (one is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/21 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Thinking ahead to next year fall time...

I've always been about the destination, fastest route to get there. This is going to be a revolutionary change in my thinking.

How are long trips that become more about the travel, planned? My thinking is leaving south central MI, going through the UP, across the top of the US wandering into Montana, then heading towards AZ. Would like to spend some time in quartzite as well as visiting a friend in Havasu, then wandering down to TX and maybe even all the way over to FL.

Goal would be to return to MI in April/May.
That is it. No more planning until you leave [emoticon]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Oxfofd, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/21 11:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our no time line started with pointing our compass NE from central Fl. We zig zagged across the US to Washington and then went on to Alaska. Took route 2 from Montana to Michigan then down the East coast. Took about 4 months. We never planned a thing and would never plan a trip.

The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Long route travel plans
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.