|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> landing gear issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
walker111

se calgary

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/21 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all
Own a 2014 Voltage 3305. This past weekend the landing gear seemed to cause me problems. When I was hooking up sunday to leave, the gear was very slow and would only run about 3-5 seconds and then stop all together. I would wait a minute and it would run 3-5 again and stop.
I ran the on board genset, I plugged in . Nothing helped. Batteries are fully charged. Was able to get the trailer up enough to hook on and then same issue at my storage facility.

Think the motor is done?? It has been slow for a while but not like this . Is the manual overide at the top pf the leg on the driver side of trailer?
Thanks for any response.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/21 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear about this.

What kind of landing gear do you have? Electric w/motor, hydraulic, etc.?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

walker111

se calgary

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/21 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is electric motor. I will go to storage today to troubleshoot. I will look for an inline fuse and swap out. The motor works but very weak then stops as I described so the fuse is working but will check it out.
Thanks for reply

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/21 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the leg motor works at all, it's unlikely to be the fuse. Our 2010 Fuzion 383 leg motor finally bit the big one. It never worked very quickly, and just kept getting slower and slower. I replaced the motor/legs with the Bulldog system with separate motors for each leg. An excellent solution IMO. The legs no longer struggled. The trailer is gone but the Bulldog system was great.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

walker111

se calgary

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/21 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I doubt fuse also for that reason. Mine has always been slow for raising the trailer. Could need a new motor.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/04/21 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you ever lubed the legs (screw drive)? When mine run slower, I added a couple lever strokes to each one, per manufacturer recommendation. Doing this perked them right up, motor run faster. Mine has zerks on the legs about 8"s or so from top of leg.

If yours need lubing, it may add extra load to motor, causing solenoid/breaker to shutdown, and reset.

Jerry

walker111

se calgary

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/21 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will go to storage compound today or tomorrow and update

Thanks for info Jerry

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/04/21 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also make sure all connections are clean (ground too) If the wires are marginal, a weak connection can reduce voltage for a motor to run slow. And low voltage can kill a DC motor in short time.
Just for snots and grins, use a good pair of jumper cables to by-pass all the factory wiring. Bet the motor runs much faster than new.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/21 05:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's like mine there should be 2 wire nuts about 6 inches from the motor. Take those off and separate the wires. Hook your jumper cables directly to those wires and your trailer battery. Positive to one wire negative to the other. It will spark when hooking up. To go the other direction switch the positive and negative.
This will tell you if the motor is the problem. If it runs strong with the jumper cables the motor is fine and either lubrication or poor wiring is your issue.

Mine started blowing fuses when it ran slow. My guess is you don't have a fuse inline or it would be blowing. It sounds more like the motor is hitting it's heat maximum and shutting down. Definitely look up how to lube the landing gear and check the wiring connections.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/21 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

If it's like mine there should be 2 wire nuts about 6 inches from the motor. Take those off and separate the wires. Hook your jumper cables directly to those wires and your trailer battery.

Warning! Yes, it will make a spark. Better to hook the cables to the battery, then to the wires. It will still spark, but the spark not be right at the battery. Much less chance of a explosion.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> landing gear issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.