|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Rental Car Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
DD716TED

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/21 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the first time in many moons, we are going on a trip without the truck and Trailer or Driving the family car.. This time we are Flying and RENTING A CAR.. Just a question about Rental Car Insurance... Is it worth it to buy the additional coverage the rental car company covers.. I have good insurance BUT just don't know about extra insurance to protect me for $12 a day? Thoughts / Comments? Stay safe around the campfire..

Dozer

Santa Clarita, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/21 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A complete waste of money IMHO.
That would come out to over $4,000/yr.

Best Regards,
Dozer

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/21 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your "normal" car insurance or credit card have rental car insurance coverage included, it's a complete waste of money IMHO. Very often, one or the other or both of these do have rental car coverage. If neither does, it might be worthy of consideration.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/21 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be sure to check your own insurance. It should cover rental car insurance. The main advantage of rental car provided by the company is instant coverage. The rental agreements usually have a provision that any damage will be payable when the car is returned. I've always used my own insurance and never had any issues, but also never had an damage. You pays yer money, you takes yer cherce.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/21 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dozer wrote:

A complete waste of money IMHO.
That would come out to over $4,000/yr.

Best Regards,
Dozer

agree but the last time I rented a car (2013)I did not take the rental insurance as my own auto policy covered me on rentals...but not the deductible. ask about that and then decide. we have very low auto deductibles...$100 (we've been with State Farm for over 50-years and our deductible is grandfathered). but if you have a high deductible, say $1000, it may make sense to buy the coverage if for no other reason than to offset your deductible.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/21 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have stated, check with your provider.

Most insurance companies (for your own car) will will extend the coverage that you have over to the rental, but beware of pitfalls such as gap.

By gap I mean values of cars.
For example, if my full coverage on my personal car with a $100 deductible covers my personal 2018 $20,000 Ford Taurus and I rent a 2021 Dodge Challenger worth $40,000 and it gets totaled then my insurance may only cover half the value of the rental. You could be on the hook for the other $20K.

I rent cars many times a year and was keeping a $100 deductible on my personal car just for such cross-over coverage and denying the insurance by the rental company. I ran the numbers and I am now I am going to up my personal car deductible to $1000 but take the rental insurance option on future rentals.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/21 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Be sure to check your own insurance. It should cover rental car insurance. The main advantage of rental car provided by the company is instant coverage. The rental agreements usually have a provision that any damage will be payable when the car is returned. I've always used my own insurance and never had any issues, but also never had an damage. You pays yer money, you takes yer cherce.

This. Check your own policy. Some cover, some don’t. If your policy covers rentals, then decline theirs. But if it doesn’t, best you accept it. While overpriced, it will protect you in case that mythical bus falls out of the skies.

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/21 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

d3500ram wrote:

Most insurance companies (for your own car) will will extend the coverage that you have over to the rental, but beware of pitfalls such as gap.

Caution: Our insurance advisor has never heard of this 'gap'. Please double check with your carrier anyway before renting a car.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/05/21 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have said, call your own provider and ask. Then check with your credit card company. Many will cover any issues. We never get the extra coverage and yes, our credit card company came through in one instance.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/05/21 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Different tack.

Take images covering every square foot of the vehicle inside and out. If you find damage outside or rip or stain inside make them note it on the contract. Refill the tank with gasoline before you return the car or face a pricey premium

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Rental Car Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.