RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Plans for winter camping?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Plans for winter camping?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/21 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going to Yellowstone tomorrow which has been experiencing winter conditions for the past several days.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/21 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep! Will be spending the usual 2 to 3 weeks elk hunting in North-Central Wyoming. We will very likely see a few mornings below zero F. Hopefully, we will make an ice fishing trip or two, with temps potentially down to -20 F. And yes, there will be water in the rv system.....I’m kinda fond of cooking, washing my hands, and taking the occasional shower! [emoticon]

The worst part of winter boondocking is filling the water tanks at home when prepping for the trip, with temps in single digits or low teens! The ice fishing gloves quickly pay for themselves! [emoticon] memtb

* This post was last edited 10/15/21 07:56pm by memtb *   View edit history

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/21 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb -- How do you prep your RV for that kind of camping and temperatures?

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/21 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

charlestonsouthern wrote:

memtb -- How do you prep your RV for that kind of camping and temperatures?

charlestonsouthern, I guess that you could say that we cheat! Our unit has a -20 F guarantee. There were only a few rv’s with this type of guarantee!

It is our 4th Teton Homes 5th wheel. Our first one was a 1990, and we spent 2 Wyoming winters in it while we were building our home...the first winter, we didn’t even skirt it! We did put some bubble foil insulation on some of the windows. As we were hooked-up to water at our place, we very quickly learned that the water connection inside the camper needed additional insulation.....it was hiding inside the kitchen cabinetry. A little foam generously applied .... solved that issue! Our only other issue was self-induced. We had a mirrored sliding door closet in the front bedroom, and we left the doors closed, and got some frost on the closet back wall (front of 5th wheel)! Again.....easily resolved! As this was a 1990 model, there have been many notable improvements since then. The weakest point in this unit was the old style crank-out louvered windows......it had inside storm windows, which helped a great deal.

This was our first Teton Homes 5th wheel. When we found out how well they were made....we decided that a Teton would be the only 5th wheel we would consider!

Since 1990, improved slide seals, and dual pane windows are a couple of big improvements since 1990.

In our present unit (the one pictured in our avatar) I wouldn't do anything for the occasional, minus 20 to 25 ! If we were going to spend the entire winter in it, expecting a bunch of cold weather.....we would skirt it! That’s about it!

Addendum: Bring plenty of propane...you will use a lot! [emoticon]memtb

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/21 11:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb, thank you for the information. We were at a big RV show in Myrtle Beach a couple of weekends ago, and they had a large number of new Teton fifth wheels there. They were simply beautiful.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/21 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

memtb, thank you for the information. We were at a big RV show in Myrtle Beach a couple of weekends ago, and they had a large number of new Teton fifth wheels there. They were simply beautiful.

charlestonsouthern,

Be very careful thinking that this “new” Teton, is the same Teton of yesteryear! Teton Homes of Casper, Wyoming went out of business in 2008....during the crash of the late 2000’s! Similar to other businesses, and I may be incorrect, there is nothing stopping an rv manufacture from calling their product by the same name as another that went out of business!! I would love to have the opportunity to spend some time thoroughly examining “this” new Teton! memtb

buc1980

houston tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/21 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wander who built the new Teton?

2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,14750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/21 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've just started my plans for winter camping. Left upstate NY on October 21, and will make a slow (with many stops) trip to the Long Term Visitor Areas in Quartzsite, AZ. I skipped last year, but have done the trip for the previous 5 years. The best way to winterize your trailer possible!

2021 - 2022 Trip To The Southwest

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Plans for winter camping?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.