|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tires again

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/21 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

I ended up with Endurance as I couldn't get Carlisles in time for a trip. I will tell you that they have a =lot= less tread than most other STs that I've seen. Surprised heck out of me, for sure. I sure hope I don't have to tow in heavy rain as the siping is =shallow=.

Lyle

1/4" or 8/32" tread depth. Towed my boat in wet conditions in NW WA with no issues. Have 4 years and over 20k.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/21 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I've had a Blowout on a GY G114 "H" 17.5" tire at 4 years and 40K miles then switched to Sailun "H" 17.5 stamped "Made in China" and with 2 years and 15K miles lost an inner section of the tread, but never lost air. Bought a replacement thru Wally World because I needed a spare. Generated a warranty with Tredit the distributor and received a check that more than covered the cost of the Wally World replacement.
So will be watching them closely, and don't anyone suggest GY Endurance because we're pushing 20K on the fifth wheel.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/21 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

Well I've had a Blowout on a GY G114 "H" 17.5" tire at 4 years and 40K miles then switched to Sailun "H" 17.5 stamped "Made in China" and with 2 years and 15K miles lost an inner section of the tread, but never lost air. Bought a replacement thru Wally World because I needed a spare. Generated a warranty with Tredit the distributor and received a check that more than covered the cost of the Wally World replacement.
So will be watching them closely, and don't anyone suggest GY Endurance because we're pushing 20K on the fifth wheel.

Why would anyone push a tire that can’t carry the weight?

klr650goldwing

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/21 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We currently have Samson tires on our trailer that could be up to 7 years old. The 5er is a 2014, we bought it in 2018 so we don't know for sure how old the tires are. We have traveled about 15,000 miles with these tires. I have always kept the tires aired up to 110 lbs. Now I'm wondering if we should just put the same tires back on. The blow out did put a hole in the sidewall about the diameter of a baseball. But is it possible that these current tires are at the end of their useful life span?

2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/21 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klr650goldwing wrote:

We currently have Samson tires on our trailer that could be up to 7 years old. The 5er is a 2014, we bought it in 2018 so we don't know for sure how old the tires are. We have traveled about 15,000 miles with these tires. I have always kept the tires aired up to 110 lbs. Now I'm wondering if we should just put the same tires back on. The blow out did put a hole in the sidewall about the diameter of a baseball. But is it possible that these current tires are at the end of their useful life span?

Tires have a date code - Look that up and decide. Most think about 5 years is all a trailer tire can handle. A cheaper brand, less than that. Really consider what tires you put on it. A quality brand is not much more expensive than a non quality brand. But having the correct weight rating is the most important and some go up a rating just to be safe.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/21 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The age of the tires can be determined by the DOT code on the sidewall. Four numbers in a oval, the first two numbers are the week and the second two are the year. If they are OEM tires, you're likely living on borrowed time, although our Sailun tires on the last trailer were 7 years old when we sold it.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

obie311

Aux Arcs

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/21 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klr650goldwing wrote:

Love your taste in vehicles BTW. My Arctic Fox is a 2014 and the DOT markings showed the tires were made in 2013 and 2014. With a 16,600 GVWR and a cross country trip looming, I didn't want to chance the old tires even though there was plenty of tread and no visible sidewall cracking.

In the aviation world, there's components that are hour limited, cycle limited (ie take-offs and landings) and time limited. I tend to consider RV tires as time limited items. They would have probably done OK but it was worth the $800 I spent for Sailuns for piece of mind.

On the bright side, I sold the set of old Goodyear G614's to a local guy on Craigslist for farm use for $200.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tires again
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.