|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
5thhand

Linden, iA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/21 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What type of air compressor do I need to get 110 PSI quickly? It takes forever on my current 4 gallon 135 PSI Craftsman. What is the best bang for the bucks?

5thhand

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/21 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5thhand wrote:

What type of air compressor do I need to get 110 PSI quickly? It takes forever on my current 4 gallon 135 PSI Craftsman. What is the best bang for the bucks?

I can't say this is the fastest, but at over 1000cfm @ 350psi, this would be pretty quick:

[image]

But someone will probably have more practical suggestions if you give a few more details - are you looking for something small and 12V powered that you can carry around in the RV and use anywhere? Do you just want something to keep in your garage at home? Do you want an oil-free compressor with an air regulator so you can use it to blow out the water lines for winterizing?

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/21 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Problem is getting it to the 110psi. Once it nears the tank pressure it goes pretty slow. You would want at least 135psi with a big CFM compressor.

I got my air horn kit from Amazon. It came with a 2 1/2 gallon 135 psi 12V compressor but the cfm is low. I also plumbed in another 2 1/2 gallon 110V compressor, but I don’t know it’s cfm. I keep my tires at 95 rear and 80 front. It works ok.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

5thhand

Linden, iA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/21 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably need smaller compressor to haul with. Concerned whether it can top off 90-100 PSI,

Also looking for moderately priced garage version.

rlw999

Washington State

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/21 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5thhand wrote:

Probably need smaller compressor to haul with. Concerned whether it can top off 90-100 PSI,

Also looking for moderately priced garage version.

ViAir makes some good 12V compressors, but they're expensive, and there's a limit to how fast an affordable 12V compressor will be - a 1 HP motor at 12V will need over 60A of current.

You can pick up a pretty big compressor at Harbor Freight for a few hundred dollars -- like one with a 21 gallon tank @ 175psi.It's going to take a little while to fill that tank, but once you do, inflations will be quick.

I only fill my tires to 85psi so bought a relatively small Bostitch compressor - it's small enough that I can put it in the back trunk of the RV, but is pretty fast at filling tires. It needs 120VAC power so I need to run the generator or have shore power to use it. It's oil free, so I also use it to blow out the water lines at the end of the season.

Ed C

Cape Cod, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/21 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

a Viair will work for you I paid $160 on Amazon for the basic unit. Yesterday I raised the pressure from 120 to 130 in about 10 minutes. You can spend a lot more if you need all the bells and whistles!

Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/21 05:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a PorterCable 3 gallon unit from Home Depot. Pumps to 150 psi. Works great for me for tires and small jobs. My tires run 110 psi.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/21 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well that's an interesting question and it may call for an unconventional answer.

You could purchase an air bottle (similar to a scuba tank, or actually an old scuba tank) like the rock crawler folks use. They use these to air up tires in the middle of nowhere or to run air tools etc.

These are very strong air bottles that handle a lot of high pressure air. You'd need a regulator of course.

You wouldn't want to waste the high pressure, so you'd want to use your air compressor to put air into the tire (that your compressor could reasonably handle) and then top off the tire from the bottle.

That's one possibility and certainly a unique possibility.

Good luck.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 10/07/21 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fill my DP tires to 110 using the engine compressor. Increased the cut out pressure to 130 and have a gauge at the air chuck. Have found letting the engine idle works better and start adding air when the pressure gets to 110 and usually tops the tire up before getting to 130 and unloads.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

12th Man Fan

Flower Mound , Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/21 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bird Freak wrote:

I bought a PorterCable 3 gallon unit from Home Depot. Pumps to 150 psi. Works great for me for tires and small jobs. My tires run 110 psi.

X2

2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.