RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Extended warranty experiences

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Extended warranty experiences

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Buzzcut1

Norcal

Senior Member

Joined: 10/04/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/08/21 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In all the purchases I have made since my first vehicle in 1975 I have never purchased an extended warranty. I have never regretted not doing so. Its a scam IMHO. I will not be buying one in the future either


2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags


toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/08/21 08:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kenkorona wrote:

OK, but I'll wait till Wednesdays Mail before I post anything. That is, unless a moderator jumps in and warns me it is not permitted.

Also, the reason I can't just drive over to the dealer is that I live 3000 miles from the dealer.

Maybe I'm too trusting, but I still feel this was not a scam, and I still feel it's most likely that I'll get the refund. This dealer is a very big business with multiple locations. I find it hard to believe they would risk their business committing an out-and-out scam.

A few more days will tell.


I figured it was likely you weren't nearby.

I don't rhink it's a scam - I just think they don't care enough to return your money promptly.


1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/08/21 11:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

In all the purchases I have made since my first vehicle in 1975 I have never purchased an extended warranty. I have never regretted not doing so. Its a scam IMHO. I will not be buying one in the future either


I am in the same boat, but I always research the vehicle before purchase.
That said, BIL of my close friend bought new Ford Taurus from 1990's.
He bought extended warranty and in 3 or 4 years he generated about $20,000 warranty repairs on $16,000 vehicle.
I think the $900 he spend on extended warranty got him his money worth.
Numbers from my memory, so I might be slightly off, but you get the idea?
Bad part - extended car warranty is not paying for wear out shoes and he had few of those.





valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/09/21 03:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

I don't rhink it's a scam - I just think they don't care enough to return your money promptly.


I'm betting they were hoping you eventually forgot about it and went away.

These plans are like 30-40% profit for the dealer. If they cancel it, they have to give back that 30-40% profit.

I expect the next response will be since it didn't get processed within 30 days, there is nothing they can do. (total BS but I give it about 80% chance as their next response)


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2020

View Profile



Posted: 10/09/21 05:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buzzcut1 wrote:

In all the purchases I have made since my first vehicle in 1975 I have never purchased an extended warranty. I have never regretted not doing so. Its a scam IMHO. I will not be buying one in the future either


First off, just for the record, most of these are not extended "warranties", as a warranty is issued by the manufacturer. They are "service contracts", which usually have nothing to do with the original manufacturer.

That being said, service contracts are purchased and serve the purchaser much like auto insurance or health insurance -- you hope you never have to use it, but if you do, you're glad it's there.

Being in the automobile business for 30 years, then in the Real Estate business for another 12 years, I have seen many, many of these service contracts pay out hundreds of thousand dollars to purchasers over the years, and I have had scores of auto buyers and home buyers share stories with me of how happy they were that they made such a purchase.

So is it a scam? No more than your auto insurance or health insurance is a scam.


. . . never confuse education with intelligence

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/09/21 06:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

Buzzcut1 wrote:

In all the purchases I have made since my first vehicle in 1975 I have never purchased an extended warranty. I have never regretted not doing so. Its a scam IMHO. I will not be buying one in the future either


First off, just for the record, most of these are not extended "warranties", as a warranty is issued by the manufacturer. They are "service contracts", which usually have nothing to do with the original manufacturer.

That being said, service contracts are purchased and serve the purchaser much like auto insurance or health insurance -- you hope you never have to use it, but if you do, you're glad it's there.

Being in the automobile business for 30 years, then in the Real Estate business for another 12 years, I have seen many, many of these service contracts pay out hundreds of thousand dollars to purchasers over the years, and I have had scores of auto buyers and home buyers share stories with me of how happy they were that they made such a purchase.

So is it a scam? No more than your auto insurance or health insurance is a scam.


The difference is auto/health insurance is heavily regulated (and still problematic). These are profit making schemes that have very little to do with protecting the buyer.

You could as easily point to lottery winners and say the lottery is a great way to get rich...ignoring the horrible odds.

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2020

View Profile



Posted: 10/09/21 07:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

Buzzcut1 wrote:

In all the purchases I have made since my first vehicle in 1975 I have never purchased an extended warranty. I have never regretted not doing so. Its a scam IMHO. I will not be buying one in the future either


First off, just for the record, most of these are not extended "warranties", as a warranty is issued by the manufacturer. They are "service contracts", which usually have nothing to do with the original manufacturer.

That being said, service contracts are purchased and serve the purchaser much like auto insurance or health insurance -- you hope you never have to use it, but if you do, you're glad it's there.

Being in the automobile business for 30 years, then in the Real Estate business for another 12 years, I have seen many, many of these service contracts pay out hundreds of thousand dollars to purchasers over the years, and I have had scores of auto buyers and home buyers share stories with me of how happy they were that they made such a purchase.

So is it a scam? No more than your auto insurance or health insurance is a scam.


The difference is auto/health insurance is heavily regulated (and still problematic). These are profit making schemes that have very little to do with protecting the buyer.

You could as easily point to lottery winners and say the lottery is a great way to get rich...ignoring the horrible odds.


So you don't think auto & health insurance are profit-driven industries??? LMAO!

noteven

Turtle Island

Senior Member

Joined: 02/13/2011

View Profile



Posted: 10/09/21 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Future scientists studying the Age of Petroleum Man will know about a subset of the population known as Face in a Screen All the Time Man.

They will have reasoned out the effects this had on the Human Attention Span before AI implants and how humans used to forget to do things, forget to process things, forget what they read about how bad some business was...

what am I blabbing on about again?

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/09/21 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

Buzzcut1 wrote:

In all the purchases I have made since my first vehicle in 1975 I have never purchased an extended warranty. I have never regretted not doing so. Its a scam IMHO. I will not be buying one in the future either


First off, just for the record, most of these are not extended "warranties", as a warranty is issued by the manufacturer. They are "service contracts", which usually have nothing to do with the original manufacturer.

That being said, service contracts are purchased and serve the purchaser much like auto insurance or health insurance -- you hope you never have to use it, but if you do, you're glad it's there.

Being in the automobile business for 30 years, then in the Real Estate business for another 12 years, I have seen many, many of these service contracts pay out hundreds of thousand dollars to purchasers over the years, and I have had scores of auto buyers and home buyers share stories with me of how happy they were that they made such a purchase.

So is it a scam? No more than your auto insurance or health insurance is a scam.


Spoken like a true salesman, Rick! Good job!
Although you probably lost some credibility with the common sense folks here. (Not that most salesman care about tangible credibility…)


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Unobtanium

NY

New Member

Joined: 09/24/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/09/21 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noteven wrote:

Future scientists studying the Age of Petroleum Man will know about a subset of the population known as Face in a Screen All the Time Man.

They will have reasoned out the effects this had on the Human Attention Span before AI implants and how humans used to forget to do things, forget to process things, forget what they read about how bad some business was...

what am I blabbing on about again?


LOL....the state park we're currently in filled to the gills last evening with those face in a screen folks. New rigs which had to be the largest they could find or jump in debt over, sitting around a fire in a cloud of smoke because they do not know how to build one, with the entire family having their noses buried in phones for hours upon hours.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Extended warranty experiences
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.