|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Extended warranty experiences

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
HMS Beagle

Napa, California

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/21 09:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The "extended warrantee" is definitely a for profit business, but much different than selling the truck or camper. There is many times the profit in selling the warrantee than in selling the truck. Many dealerships are happy to give you the truck at their true cost if you will just buy the warrantee. The proof of this is in how diligently and forcefully the sales people pursue the warrantee sale.

Also, there are extended warrantees offered by the manufacturer and those offered by a third party. While both are overpriced, the 3rd party ones make it their business not to pay claims - after all, claims come right out of their bottom line. It is a little different for the manufacturer, as they have a brand and a customer to protect. I've bought only two 3rd party warrantees on products, both proved to be worthless when needed.

Finally, if you pay the retail price for these you are paying 2x or 3x too much. For automobiles, the exact same manufacturers warrantee is often available from a different dealership for far less. I rarely buy these, but the repair costs on a new diesel truck where even small problems can result in a "cab off" repair are a consideration, so I bought the longest one offered. After negotiating with the dealer who sold me the truck, I got it down to around $5K. But I walked and purchased the same Ford warrantee from a dealer 3000 miles away for $1800. I'm sure they made money on it.

Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/21 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unobtanium wrote:

noteven wrote:

Future scientists studying the Age of Petroleum Man will know about a subset of the population known as Face in a Screen All the Time Man.

They will have reasoned out the effects this had on the Human Attention Span before AI implants and how humans used to forget to do things, forget to process things, forget what they read about how bad some business was...

what am I blabbing on about again?

LOL....the state park we're currently in filled to the gills last evening with those face in a screen folks. New rigs which had to be the largest they could find or jump in debt over, sitting around a fire in a cloud of smoke because they do not know how to build one, with the entire family having their noses buried in phones for hours upon hours.

This coming from a guy who is a very frequent poster here on an Internet forum……lol

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/21 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To me, the difference between insurance and a warranty is that insurance will pay out for injuries (yours or someone else's). A warranty only pays out for damages to your vehicle/home.

I know very few people who have bought extended warranties and had them break even.

The problem is a lot like gambling. You may win big today - put in $20 and get back $10,000. But when you add up all the money put in over time versus what you got out and it isn't such a big win after all.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/21 01:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

So you don't think auto & health insurance are profit-driven industries??? LMAO!

It's the difference between getting a mortgage from a bank and going to a loan shark...

Both are intending to make a profit.

One is abusive and uncontrolled...but as a salesman, they are great.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/21 06:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

So you don't think auto & health insurance are profit-driven industries??? LMAO!

It's the difference between getting a mortgage from a bank and going to a loan shark...

Both are intending to make a profit.

One is abusive and uncontrolled...but as a salesman, they are great.

OK, let's compare it to getting a mortgage from a bank. Sure, SOME of the aspects of mortgage lending are strictly controlled, but others are not. As a Realtor, in the not-too-distant past I have helped buyers negotiate things like 'origination' fees, and it made a big difference in their out-of-pocket expenses. Even a 1% negotiated drop in an origination fee on a $500,000 oceanfront condo adds up to $5000. That's $5000 that they would have paid unnecessarily. Much the same concept as a a markup on an extended service contract, right? Only difference would be that the buyer at least stands a chance of an extended service contract paying off for him -- but paying it out in an excessive origination fee on a mortgage . . . not so much.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/21 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My belief is that to purchase an extended warranty, you do do not have confidence in the durability of the product you purchased. As others pointed out, companies are out there to make profit and will set the cost higher than payout. You will always be betting against "the house" odds and be better to bank that money yourself.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/21 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

My belief is that to purchase an extended warranty, you do do not have confidence in the durability of the product you purchased. As others pointed out, companies are out there to make profit and will set the cost higher than payout. You will always be betting against "the house" odds and be better to bank that money yourself.

That’s half (or some portion) of the extended warranty buyers rationale. The bigger part, I think, is folks who don’t have confidence in themselves or the want or knowledge to do their own repairs.
And when you add up shop rates for repairs, it doesn’t take a lot to lower the “house” odds if someone is 100% bound to shop rates for all repairs.

RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/21 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Bedlam wrote:

That’s half (or some portion) of the extended warranty buyers rationale. The bigger part, I think, is folks who don’t have confidence in themselves or the want or knowledge to do their own repairs.
And when you add up shop rates for repairs, it doesn’t take a lot to lower the “house” odds if someone is 100% bound to shop rates for all repairs.

I have NO confidence in myself should I need a new engine or a transmission rebuild.

I should be ashamed of myself, I know.

[emoticon]

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/21 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So the question I have is why someone would buy something with questionable reliability and then have to bandaid the purchase with an extended warranty. At least in my view, I would look at purchasing something that worried me less about failure.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/21 09:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Bedlam wrote:

I have NO confidence in myself should I need a new engine or a transmission rebuild.

I should be ashamed of myself, I know.

[emoticon]

Nice oversimplification.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Extended warranty experiences
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.