RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Battery Issue?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery Issue?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
DD716TED

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/21 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am replacing the MBA in my WFCO WF-8955PEC power center with a Boondocker BD 1255MBA 55 amp, 4 stage MBA. No instructions came with the Boondocker unit however, I believe it is the same as the "Powermax" PCMB-55-MBA. I found some instructions on INET for Powermax, but they are very poorly written and make little sense. Installing the circuit board and associated wiring is a breeze, but the instructions on how/when to adjust the fixed voltage circuit switch/potentiometer are a joke.. they jump all over.. Has anyone installed this particular Boondocker board and did you even bother to adjust the "fixed voltage"? or maybe even a better question, did you find better instructions on how to do it?

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/21 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://powermaxconverters.com/wp-conten........loads/2018/05/PM3-mba-LK-Manual-2018.pdf

In my previous post, I mentioned that the adjustable voltage controls might be inaccessible once the unit is installed, but am not sure about that.

EDIT: Can you install it the other way around so the open board is to the front? That way you could get at A and B. Kind if loony of them to have the MBA with the LK feature if you can't get at it!!! [emoticon] Or else don't use the MBA, but get a deck mount so you can turn it the right way to get the two holes in front )

If you can get at the two controls A and B as seen in the above link, it is easy to do with a small screwdriver in the voltage pot when the other switch is made to "single stage". I have the deck mount LK and it is easy to operate A and B.

In the deck mount LKs, they have two holes in the side to get at A and B, which are open on the board in the MBA version, as seen in the above link.

If you just want it for the three stage operation, set it for that with switch A making sure the voltage is set to the right value on the pot so it does the right voltages in all three stages. ( It is confusing but read it carefully--if you mess up don't worry it won't break--just go back to square one and set it up.

Big thing is to have your voltmeter on it when turning the pot so you can see what you are doing, and not have it connected to the battery yet. Connecting to the battery skews the voltage you see on the meter. You just want to see pure converter voltage.

* This post was last edited 11/27/21 09:46pm by BFL13 *   View edit history

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

DD716TED

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/28/21 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for the response..The one question I have is.. when installing the circuit, do you only connect the AV 115v.. then adjust the switch/potentionmeter to the correct DC Output, then turn off AC ,then connect the battery / dc circuits (fuses), re-energize AC and check that all is working properly..thanks again for your help..

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/21 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DD716TED wrote:

Thank you for the response..The one question I have is.. when installing the circuit, do you only connect the AV 115v.. then adjust the switch/potentionmeter to the correct DC Output, then turn off AC ,then connect the battery / dc circuits (fuses), re-energize AC and check that all is working properly..thanks again for your help..

It should come with the mode switch set to three-stage and the pot at 14.6v so you don't need to do anything if that is how you will be leaving it--except you can check the DC voltage is indeed 14.6(ish) before connecting to the battery.

If it is not at 14.6, tweak the pot till it is. Tweaking the pot will change the voltage for all the stages in three-stage mode, so you want to get it started at 14.6 to get 13.6 and 13.2 later when it gets to there.

BTW, there is no 4th stage like with some that do a shot of 14.6 every so often when it is Floating. You have to do that yourself. Real "Equalizing" is done using the single stage mode and set to say 16.2v for wet Trojan batts eg.

Otherwise, you can make sure there is no battery voltage at the DC fuse panel (various ways to do that--eg take the wires off one battery post) and connect the converter wires to the DC fuse panel and measure Dc voltage at the lugs there with meter or from your battery monitor, whatever you have.

Or you could check the DC output voltage with a meter on those wires before putting them on the DC fuse panel.
--------
It should start at 14.6 and stay there about 30 minutes then drop to 13.6. That is too short a time usually.

If you want longer at 14.6, just pull the 120v to it and turn the 120v back on and it will do another 30 minutes, repeat as desired. Or use the single stage mode set to any voltage and it will stay at that till you change the voltage to something else.

I choose to use the single stage mode all the time and leave it at say 14.8v or whatever that is for the temperature the batts are at--eg 14.6 is for 80F but is 15.2 at 35F. So you can do your own temperature compensation.

I leave it at 14.8 till amps taper right down and SG is near 1.300 (wet 6s) and then manually drop it to 13.6. Or with AGMs leave it at 14.4 till amps are down to 0.5a/100AH of battery, then drop to 13.6.

LFP should not be left at 14.x for very long after they are full, so also with them drop to 13.6 for Float time.

That converter with adjustable voltage lets you meet all charging specs for the various types of battery. But you have to do the manual work--it is not fire and forget except in three-stage mode, and that will not meet many battery charging specs as you will know. You could leave it in three-stage if you are always on shore power of course.

DD716TED

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/21 01:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

New converter installed..All works great.. Thank you for all the inputs / help..

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/21 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DD716TED wrote:

I am replacing the MBA in my WFCO WF-8955PEC power center with a Boondocker BD 1255MBA 55 amp, 4 stage MBA. No instructions came with the Boondocker unit however, I believe it is the same as the "Powermax" PCMB-55-MBA. I found some instructions on INET for Powermax, but they are very poorly written and make little sense. Installing the circuit board and associated wiring is a breeze, but the instructions on how/when to adjust the fixed voltage circuit switch/potentiometer are a joke.. they jump all over.. Has anyone installed this particular Boondocker board and did you even bother to adjust the "fixed voltage"? or maybe even a better question, did you find better instructions on how to do it?
No need to adjust the voltage. Should work out of the box just fine.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Battery Issue?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.