|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Non-level campsites Class A

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
FLHTCI

east coast

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/21 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a used class A motor home (30’ Itasca). Some campsites I’ve been in with my TT have hardly been lever to say the least. I noticed that it doesn’t take much of an incline for my leveling jack to lift the coach off the ground.

What do you people do in a situation as I’ve mentioned?

Thank you

2012 Winnebago Itasca Class A Sunstar 30T
2013 Jeep Sahara (JKU)
2012 Harley Davidson FLHTCUTG
2012 Ford F-250

Ed C

Cape Cod, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/21 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's best not to lift your wheels off the ground, especially the rears (drive). Use manual leveling and make small adjustments. It doesn't have to be perfect.

Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

chuckftboy

Fleming Island, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/21 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carry some 2x12 or better 2x16's to drive your low wheels onto so that you start fairly level. Then level so that your wheels aren't hanging in the air. It may be necessary to put a few boards under your jacks depending on how much travel your jacks have.

2019 Horizon 42Q Maxim Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/21 04:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my rig the "auto level" has a hard time when the pad is not even close to level its self. Manual level you can adjust the rig so as not to have the wheels off the ground.

I never raise the rear wheels off the ground. They are your brakes and and your stability for the rig. If I have to raise the front off the ground I put either wood or legos between the tire and the ground.

Good Luck

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/21 06:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lift the front wheels off the ground is no cause for concern and won't damage the RV. Putting boards under the wheels will help to stabilize it a bit, but its not necessary.
The one thing we do when traveling in our class A is book pull thrus in private RV Campgrounds that indicate level sites in their descriptions or reviews. This generally works.

2010 Suncruiser

Unobtanium

NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/21 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Carry some 2X boards and a few bags of Legos. Your location is listed as east coast? If you go inland a 100 miles or so from GA to ME your chance of finding a true level site are slim, at least at any state park or USACE campgrounds.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/21 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as the rear wheels stay in the ground (parking brake) you will be fine for a couple days. If you have to lift the rear be sure you have good wheel chocks on the front wheels.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Mel Stuplich

Wausau, WI

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/21 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always level with the leveling jacks ... if one or more tires are off the ground I chock the one(ones), that aren't.
[image]

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/21 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

As long as the rear wheels stay in the ground (parking brake) you will be fine for a couple days. If you have to lift the rear be sure you have good wheel chocks on the front wheels.

In times past I have had to work under a truck on a slope, with the rear jacked off the ground. Chock the front. Release all brakes, including parking. If it does not move, or more likely, moves a little and stops, this will make sure the slope of grade doesn't sideload the jacks.

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/21 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to a lumber store, buy you a 2x12 or two, and cut it up into a bunch of squares. Throw a bunch of them in your outside storage.

When you first get to a site, check how level you are before turning on the hydraulic jacks. If you are way off level, set some blocks up and drive whichever side is lowest onto some blocks. Get it as close to level as you can with blocks, first. Use rest of the blocks under the jacks to limit how far they have to extend.

I don’t like to ever lift any wheel off the ground, front or back. Can put too much lateral stress on jacks, and makes the RV more shaky inside. Tires (all of them) being on the ground (or on blocks) gives you more lateral stability.

Oh, and expect that every so often, your blocks will crack and become firewood. That’s why you cut up several blocks, so you have some spares when that happens.

Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis
See it here

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Non-level campsites Class A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.