|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar Wiring Question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
1L243

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/21 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I installed my 500 watt panel, 2000 watt inverter, 340ah solar system it was a learning process. I have a 35 foot bumper pull Toy Hauler. My four 12 volt deep cycle batteries are on the trailer A frame which was designed as a generator rack. My inverter, charge controller fuses and switches are installed in the pass through storage just behind the battery bank.

I ran 4.0 wire from the inverter to the the batteries. My plan at initial install was to install positive and negative Buss bars in the battery box. along with the battery monitor shunt. After I installed all the wires reality set in that I did not have room for the buss bars, so I elected not to put them in. This meant that the the main pos/neg battery terminals and load side of the shunt got very crowded.

I used the system this way this season when dry camping for two weeks all worked as it should.

But when I got home I decided to rip all the wiring out of the battery box and rewire with the pos/neg buss bars and shunt moved into the storage area with the inverter and charge controller. It also allowed me to install a breaker protected fuse block for all the peripheral add on I have installed.

Now after a very long update my question.

My 4.0 inverter cable runs from the inverter to the battery through the buss bars BUT my chassis ground which runs from the frame of the trailer to the neg buss bar is only 2AWG. Should the chassis ground be 4.0 wire ?

[image]

* This post was edited 10/09/21 06:28pm by 1L243 *

2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

RickLight

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/21 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes!
A circuit is a circle and the neg is as much a part as the pos. The 2awg may handle the current but it's close to the edge.

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/21 08:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the inverter positive and negative connect direct to the battery or bus, the existing ground is fine.
If the inverter negative uses the chassis frame to get power, yes the bus to chassis needs to be 4/0.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

1L243

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/21 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The inverter pos and neg is connected to the batteries via the Buss. The chassis neg is connected to the Buss.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/09/21 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1L243 wrote:

The inverter pos and neg is connected to the batteries via the Buss. The chassis neg is connected to the Buss.
#2 is fine. Maybe some overkill.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/21 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with RickLight. The circuit is a circle. If ANY part requires 4/0 cable, the battery negative NEEDS to also be 4/0 cable.

If the inverter requires 4/0 cable, then the complete pathway back to the battery terminals need to be 4/0 cable. Either that, or wire the inverter directly to the battery rather than to the buss.

My Airstream got around having to use large cable for the trailer by wiring my inverter directly to the battery. (That meant I had to install a separate disconnect relay just for the inverter.)

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/21 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The chassis ground goes to the neg bus and then to the load side of the shunt. #2 is likely plenty for that since the usual RV loads use the frame for part of their neg paths, and the higher amp items you have don't.

You need the fatter wire to go from the shunt to the battery bank since that side of the shunt carries the total of all the amps coming to the load side of the shunt which can be from a number of different size wires.

Also the wire from the neg buss to the load side of the shunt would be fatter since it could also be carrying the total amps. Might still be some loads going to the load side of the shunt but not via the bus, don't know.

The subject of this thread is solar wiring, which was not mentioned.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

RickLight

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/21 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that if wires go in parallel (same start and end) then they work together. But this might be a case for drawing it out on paper.

Solar just means there's a charger in there somewhere.

1L243

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/21 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the Neg 4.0 wire goes from the Inverter to the Neg Buss then from the Neg Buss to the load side of the shunt. Then it goes from the battery side of the shunt to the Neg number four battery in the battery bank. The entire length is about 5 1/2 feet. The Chassis 2AWG ground goes from the trailer frame to the Neg battery Buss a distance of about four feet.

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/21 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats for using 0004 to satisfy the inverter… 2 AWG is good for the inverter ground..

3 tons

* This post was last edited 10/10/21 11:16am by 3 tons *   View edit history

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar Wiring Question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.