|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Ever hear of this camping company? Harvest Host

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/21 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The posts that I've seen here have been overwhelmingly positive, but this thread is proof that it isn't for everyone.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

folivier

Southeast Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/21 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haha! yes it isn't for everyone. We've been HH members for years. It's a much better overnight stopover than a Walmart or other crowded busy place. Most HH places we've stayed are out in the country at a farm or winery, along a river or other peaceful setting. All of the hosts we've met are very nice, yes they usually have products to sell but we've never felt obligated to buy anything. We've tasted and bought some very nice wines and farm products but that is what we would have purchased at a store anyway.

Ed C

Cape Cod, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/21 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We love HH! We have met some of the nicest people, hosts and guests. Most times we spend more than a campground would charge but we come home with lovely wines and cheeses. At most HH you feel like a real guest rather then a paying customer. It's not for everyone.

Ed/Jeanie & Slade the GSD
2017 Entegra Aspire 42 RBQ/ Sierra Crew

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/21 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is just $99. If HH does not suite your needs skip it the next year. Why beat it down without giving it a go.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/21 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think he'd be happier at a KOA

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Gottahaveit

Stockton CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/21 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have a few friends that have been members for years and love it. They are not retired and a one night stay is all they need. We have alot of wineries that also have venues with bands etc. in our area and a place to park works for them. It's not for us but it's an excellent opportunity for alot of folks. Note: it was only $35 to join when they did, however even at $99 would be worth it for some.

40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/21 12:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wapiticountry wrote:

They hide it because they know the host couldn't care less if you are a member or not. They get no site fee. They get nothing from the Harvest Host company other than advertising. I am sure 99.9% of the hosts would let someone stay under the exact same terms who weren't HH members. There is actually no difference to them, financially or otherwise. Only Harvest Host company has a vested interest in keeping the info secret until you join. It is their only incentive to get you to pay that $99.00. It is the only thing they offer for the $99.00. If you could get it for free, why pay?

That's consistent with what I suggested and I completely understand.

What rubs me the wrong way is they feel the need to feed a bunch of BS about the hosts wanting "privacy" and being "upsetting" to the hosts in their FAQ. Just be honest that it's because they don't want people who don't sign up abusing the system.:

Quote from HH FAQ: Out of respect for our Hosts privacy, complete details of the Host locations are only available to members. Please understand that if we released the Host information to the general public, too many people would abuse the info, upsetting the Hosts and harming the program. We don't want to put our Hosts in the awkward position of having to turn away people who are not in the program and think they are RV locations.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mkc

TN

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/21 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

It's not necessarily a scam but you misunderstand their purpose.

They are not intended to provide sites for you to stay a week in the wilderness. The idea is a winery/brewer/golf course/etc... offers to let you spend the night (typically without utilities) in a field or back lot with the expectation you patronize the business.

That is EXACTLY how HH markets to host properties and the intent of the program. It's to bring retail business to the host properties. The properties aren't RV parks nor do they have RV sites, but are perhaps situated that an RV could reach them and fit in a cleared area of the property so that boondocking is do-able.

HH recommends you spend a similar amount to a site fee at a campground when you stay at a host property. That's also part of their marketing to the host property - camper X would normally pay $30 for a campground, but they will spend that $30 at your gift shop instead if you allow boondocking overnight and then leave.

HH sites are not RV parks, and if one wants a multi-day stay, one is better served by looking for a campground/RV park.

2017 LTV Unity

bob_nestor

murphy

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/21 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was a member of Boondockers Welcome for a number of years and hosted quite a few campers over that time in my backyard. Always thought it was a better deal than Harvest Hosts (at least for me). But then Boondockers Welcome sold out to Harvest Hosts and HH quickly cancelled the Lifetime membership credits that I'd acquired with BW and now want me to join their organization for an annual fee. No thanks - cancelled my account that they'd transferred from BW to HH.

HH seems more interested in having paying members camp at places of business who can offer some dry camping spots, unlike BW which allowed individuals to host others and for campers to find individuals willing to host them for a night or two. Members paid a small annual fee to use the resources and hosts paid nothing and acquired lifetime credits for hosting.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/21 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it is also a matter of keeping track of who is a good camper that will repeat the place of stay.
If there is trouble the camper can be blocked.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Ever hear of this camping company? Harvest Host
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.