|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Latest project...parking pad for our cargo trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/21 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 6 x 10' cargo trailer has been an integral component for our many camping adventures for 3 years. I tow it behind our 24' Class C usually loaded with either our Rzr SXS or my Can Am Spyder. Destinations determine which toy to bring and we have nearly 25,000 miles towing the trailer.

For the last year I have squeezed in onto the north side of my driveway but it encroaches too much and is far from level. I finally made the run to Home Depot for 8 - 9" x 7" by 8' railroad ties that will form the pad for the trailer. The guys at HD loaded the ties 2 at a time {they weigh 150# a piece} using a forklift. I wrestled them out of my Honda Ridgeline ONE at a time.

Once they were stacked adjacent the build site the digging commenced. I hope to get the site dug down 4 to 6" and backfilled with small gravel so as to be level with the asphalt driveway. I'll drill the ties with a 3/8" bit and drive 2' 3/8" rebar to secure them in position. The last step will be to ramp gravel at each end.

Here are a couple of pics... definitely a work in progress:

[image]

Yep ,my little 570 RZR tows the {empty} 1200# trailer just fine.

[image]

[image]

Done for the day and at my age {70 next month} it is time for an Ibuprofen and a soak in the jacuzzi... I'll get back to it tomorrow {maybe?}

[emoticon]

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/21 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One mistake I can see already; Should of done the digging before you picked up the ties. Then you could park close to where each tie belongs before unloading.
I did not get this fat working harder than I needed too.

Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/21 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Point taken but... you assume that I actually know where each tie is going. [emoticon]
LMAO... but seriously I plan on creating g a 16' X 4' box with a couple of stringers dug down flush with the top of the asphalt driveway. This I will back fill with small course gravel with a couple of inches of the larger concrete gravel on top.

I utilized this formula with good results when I expanded the concrete driveway to a create a larger footprint/pad for the Class C. Obviously nothing is set in stone {sorry, pun intended}. I hope to end up with a smooth enough approach to the pad that I will be able to move the {empty} trailer off of the driveway and onto its pad using just a hand dolly.

Film at eleven!

[emoticon]

Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/21 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a shot of the pad after two days. The finished pad will be 27' X 6' {turns out the rr ties are 9' long} so two more sections identical to this one to go. Once the framing is complete I'll bring in a few thousand pounds of gravel.

[image]

[emoticon]

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/21 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not simply lay ties along fence and at each end? Dig down next to asphalt and save the tie along there.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/21 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The three fence posts all have a concrete footing that precludes placing the ties flush with the chain link. On the driveway side the asphalt is 3.5" thick and angles down and away at a 60 degree angle. I did not want to chop into asphalt to try and make the edge vertical and leave it subject to possible erosion.

Today I will add several thousand pounds of fine gravel which I will then pack down and compress. Wetting it thoroughly several times and recompressing should set it up. Finally I will add a top layer of larger concrete rock gravel.

Here is a shot of the pad at the end of day 3:

[image]

I still need to build up ramps at each end to facilitate rolling up onto the pad. Hopefully I can wrap this up in just a couple more days. On the bright side doing a project like this eliminates any need for a gym membership. [emoticon]

I used the same basic formula when I widened the motorhomes parking pad which I expanded with the 3.5' X 24' box. This pic shows the pad after the fine gravel had been laid and compacted but before the larger concrete rock was added to fill the "box":

[image]

[emoticon]

* This post was last edited 10/15/21 09:33am by Desert Captain *   View edit history

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/21 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to see it's coming along.

I can't tell where you live, but it looks like perfect weather for this project.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/21 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simply fill the gravel to the top of the asphalt grade, no need to chop anything off.

I used RR ties to add parking at a previous home. To secure the ties I drilled a hole near each end and in the middle of each tie and drove 2' x 1/2" rebar down thru the holes and flush to the top of the ties. Worked like a champ and didn't have to look at metal straps.

Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/21 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another update...

Got the crushed Granite gravel down today. It took 4,000# and that was just barely enough. Oh by the way.... 2 tons of gravel set me back a whopping $30. I've been compacting it by driving the Rzr over it {me + Rzr= 1,500#} and then soaked it down thoroughly. I'll continue alternating between compacting and wetting it down. Once it settles a little more I'll drive my truck {4,300#} up and down it and then Monday I'll add the top layer of the larger gravel, probably need another ton.

Here it is...

[image]

[emoticon]

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/21 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a fine job. It appears that you know just what you want and exactly how too achieve that.
Too bad that instead of cheering your initiative,some feel that their advice and criticism is warranted.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Latest project...parking pad for our cargo trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.