|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Latest project...parking pad for our cargo trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/21 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Looks like a fine job. It appears that you know just what you want and exactly how too achieve that.
Too bad that instead of cheering your initiative,some feel that their advice and criticism is warranted.

I couldn't agree more.

It's a sad twist of irony for you guys to be lectured on manners and compassion from pitch.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/21 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks... I am more than happy to share the details of my projects which is pretty much the point of this thread. Having done a very similar project last year to widen the pad for my coach this one was fairly straightforward to design and execute.

There are reasons for every thing I do on a job like this and unless you are on site some things might seem odd. I hope to wrap it up tomorrow with a ton {mas y menos} of the larger gravel that will be my top coat. My Honda Ridgeline has been getting a work out hauling all of the materials but with 1,477# of Payload it handles the loads well. I'll follow up with a final pic for two once I'm done. Thanks for the support.

[emoticon]

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/21 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deleted again, nice!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is DONE! Woo Hoo!
It took another 2,000+# of the larger concrete gravel but that was just the right amount. Total cost of this project came in as follows:

8 Railroad ties {at 150# a piece} 9' X 9" X 7" = $199.76
2' X 3/8" rebar {12} = $33.31
Gravel, 4,160# of the crushed granite = $30
2,110# of the concrete gravel = $20
Grand total - $283.07

It took 6 days working 4 to 6 hours a day {which is about all this ole man can handle}. I filled and dumped about 2 dozen wheel barrow loads of earth from excavating, putting in the ramp and adjusting the finished grade {I'm guessing each load was well over 100#}. [emoticon] By the time I finished it was close to 10,000# of earth, gravel and ties moved.

The trailer sits dead level with the right wheel centered precisely on the RR tie stringer. I recovered another foot of driveway improving my access nicely. With the load ramp down I still have enough space for the Rzr {or my Can Am Spyder} to load from behind.

Here are the finished pics:

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good job!
It might not matter with the little trailer you have, but over decades I have learned that where you plan to run off the edge of asphalt it is better to have the grade higher than the pavement. If the tire drops off, it is more likely to crumble the edge. And once the edge breaks, it makes a new edge to break...

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Good job!
It might not matter with the little trailer you have, but over decades I have learned that where you plan to run off the edge of asphalt it is better to have the grade higher than the pavement. If the tire drops off, it is more likely to crumble the edge. And once the edge breaks, it makes a new edge to break...

Good point, that’s why I “suggested” filling the gravel to the top of the asphalt once it’s compacted.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/21 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Deleted again, nice!

I saw this shirt yesterday.

[image]

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/21 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No image

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/21 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see the image. Check your settings.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/21 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let me "splain" it to you Lucy...

At 55 yards long the asphalt driveway slopes a bit from the garage out to the street. I leveled the grade on the pad to match that slope. The top of the asphalt coincides with the top of the ties. I dropped 4,000+# of crushed granite into the pad varying between 4 - 6" deep and then aggressively compacted it alternating between soaking it down and driving over it repeatedly with my Rzr and then the truck.

After three days the surface was extremely firm. I then carved a 2" deep trench along the ties and the asphalt and filled that as well as the rest of the pad with the top layer of the larger concrete gravel {another 2,000#}. Once again I soaked it all down and compacted it further using my truck. The second pic shows this clearly, the asphalt, gravel and ties are all the same height {mas y menos} and the compacted top layer of gravel will remain in place.

Absent the ties that secure the pad and provide the requisite structure the gravel would be displaced and scattered across the asphalt every time it was driven on. Containing the gravel is the key... After 8 months the pad where I park the coach {which weighs 11,500#} is working out just fine with no gravel movement and great drainage which Lucy, is why I utilized the same construction technique for both pads.

Here is a pic of the coach pad and as noted you can see that the gravel stays put:

[image]

[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Latest project...parking pad for our cargo trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.