RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Handling “hard dried stuff” in the black tank ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Handling “hard dried stuff” in the black tank ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/21 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brandon the Traveler wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

I would shut the tank valve boil as much water as possible and pour that hot water with the rid x. Try to get at least 20 gallons of hot water and let sit for a few days. Hopefully that will break up the poop and get it into suspension to then drain out and flush. Doug

Why not dump 20 gallons of boiling water and a $10 bill down the turlet? The hot water will kill off the bacteria in the rid X, which is @ $10 a box, and even when active without boiling it to death will do nothing in something with a small volume such as an RV HOLDING tank. May as well use the $10 bill and save the cost and time of running out to buy the rid-X.

Well I used warm water from the tap, about 20 gallons and a half box of Rid-X. I let it set for about three weeks. Drove to a campground for a weekend and dumped the Black tank, the water was a bit chunky and very dark, it was much better.
There was a layer of dried poo in our black tank when we bought it.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/21 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RID-X® now offers the NEW RV Toilet Treatment, which is specifically formulated for usage in your RV, Marine and Portable Toilets.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/21 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

I would shut the tank valve boil as much water as possible and pour that hot water with the rid x. Try to get at least 20 gallons of hot water and let sit for a few days. Hopefully that will break up the poop and get it into suspension to then drain out and flush. Doug

Why not dump 20 gallons of boiling water and a $10 bill down the turlet? The hot water will kill off the bacteria in the rid X, which is @ $10 a box, and even when active without boiling it to death will do nothing in something with a small volume such as an RV HOLDING tank. May as well use the $10 bill and save the cost and time of running out to buy the rid-X.

OK smart #ss. I posted a solution. What is your solution? Doug

Brandon the Traveler

SC, NY, PA, WV

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/21 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

Fill it with water and let it sit, then flush it out with a wand, and bacflow valve fitting, then buy a 6 pack with the $10 which is a much better use for it. Poop is not concrete. It has completely different properties and can not be used to pour a highway driving surface or a bridge abutment.

I went.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/21 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

Fill it with water and let it sit, then flush it out with a wand, and bacflow valve fitting, then buy a 6 pack with the $10 which is a much better use for it. Poop is not concrete. It has completely different properties and can not be used to pour a highway driving surface or a bridge abutment.

I just went thru ALL Rid X operational uses including the FAQ section. There is NOTHING in the Rid X literature that states using hot water will harm or do anything to the Rid X. The Reason I stated Boiling/Hot water is to help melt the solids in the bottom of the holding tank, to allow the Rid X to do a better job. Doug

LandYacht35diesel

Florida STAYcation

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/21 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Poop pyramid ! ... lol .... my situation is this ... I have the MH in my shop and am not going to use it any time soon. At least 30 days .... so the MELTING IT AWAY is my preference! MY CONCERN IS ..., that the pyramid BREAKS UP then interferes with the closing of the gate valve. That gate valve situation happened when I got the motor home from the RV dealer in Tucson.... a tampon got stuck in the valve path ! They fixed it

AllegroD

Outdare

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/21 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Water and Rid X or enzymes. Let it stew. Flush.

Brandon the Traveler

SC, NY, PA, WV

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/21 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

I just went thru ALL Rid X operational uses including the FAQ section. There is NOTHING in the Rid X literature that states using hot water will harm or do anything to the Rid X. The Reason I stated Boiling/Hot water is to help melt the solids in the bottom of the holding tank, to allow the Rid X to do a better job. Doug

Probably because no one ever asked the makers of Rid-X the question. Who filla a septic tank, which may be 1000 gallons or more, with boiling water? Anything over 140* is going to render the Rid-X inert.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/21 09:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LandYacht35diesel wrote:

Poop pyramid ! ... lol .... my situation is this ... I have the MH in my shop and am not going to use it any time soon. At least 30 days .... so the MELTING IT AWAY is my preference! MY CONCERN IS ..., that the pyramid BREAKS UP then interferes with the closing of the gate valve. That gate valve situation happened when I got the motor home from the RV dealer in Tucson.... a tampon got stuck in the valve path ! They fixed it

So if you have lots of time, just add water. There are plenty of bacteria and enzymes already present. There is no need to add magic elixirs.

Assuming the tank is directly below the toilet, break it up with a metal rod (I was shown once the handle for pulling the awning out works great...just don't go crazy and punch thru the bottom of the tank).

Ideally, with the water still in the tank, take it for a 20-30min drive and don't be shy about making it a jerky ride....then dump.

If it makes it into the 3" pipe, it should pass thru the valve.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MT BOB

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hard layer in bottom, for quite a while. Have been using the super friendly environmentally safe stuff, for quite a while. Tried letting it sit long time,did nothing.Tried soaps, bumpy roads, did nothing. So,when I went away (on the 7th), had found some old style now illegal? stuff, Thetford aqua-kem ultra concentrate.Added a bit of water and that, before I left.2.5 bags of ice.Well,having a toilet right on top of the tank,only so much ice would drop,must be a splash baffle.So when I would stop to pee,I would drop in more ice,till all was in. About 5.5 hr drive,one way, 2 hrs rough dirt and gravel,each way. Same road as last year,when I tried soap. Stayed a week, Got home to 30" of snow so camper/truck been sitting. Has warmed up, snow mostly gone, so 4 days ago dumped the tank. Got hose and wand ready. After dumping, looked in tank,(good flashlight!), all was very clean! Did not need wand, just hosed from back a bit, and very little of anything came out. This is what worked for me.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Handling “hard dried stuff” in the black tank ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.