RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Handling “hard dried stuff” in the black tank ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Handling “hard dried stuff” in the black tank ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Cocky_Camper

Rock Hill, SC

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/21 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have time, fill it with water and let it sit. It will eventually soften up. Go for a drive before dumping to make sure loose. Repeat this process a few times.

Ice does nothing unless the water is already close to freezing to keep the ice from melting so fast.

I personally wouldn't dump boiling hot was down my plumbing (home or rv). Being a plumbers son, it could cause damage.

It the toilet drops straight into the black tank, you can try a wand to help the process. It if goes straight down, you can do as my uncle did and stick your broom stick handle down and try to help dislodge (he was warned not to keep his black tank opened).

Good luck! It sounds like a sh!tty job no matter how you look at it! lol

2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/21 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brandon the Traveler wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

I just went thru ALL Rid X operational uses including the FAQ section. There is NOTHING in the Rid X literature that states using hot water will harm or do anything to the Rid X. The Reason I stated Boiling/Hot water is to help melt the solids in the bottom of the holding tank, to allow the Rid X to do a better job. Doug

Probably because no one ever asked the makers of Rid-X the question. Who filla a septic tank, which may be 1000 gallons or more, with boiling water? Anything over 140* is going to render the Rid-X inert.
I have to go with Doug on this as he is a RV Master tech.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

jeromep

Eastern Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/21 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a huge fan of Unique Camping and Marine's product line. Magic elixir? Maybe, but their tank cleaner product is part of my yearly tank management regimen and their RV Digest-It drop ins are part of my ongoing tank treatment.

Every time I dump, when finished I go back in the rig, let about 2 or so gallons of water flow into the black tank and throw in a drop-in. No odors, no backups, very easy and complete dumping. Their entire product line is backed up by a regimen of tank best practices, like never operating your black tank with the valve open when at a full hookup campsite, using plenty of water when flushing the toilet, etc. I suspect their tank cleaner product will do wonders on dried feces and tank gunk. Just follow the instructions and you are sure to get good results. In fact if you may want to use their tank sensor cleaner. It is my understanding that it is their super concentrated tank cleaner product and that may be more useful or work faster for dried up tank sludge, than the regular tank cleaner.

Take a few minutes, read the content on their site and maybe take a chance on them. Plus, their tank cleaner and sensor cleaner can be allowed to sit for an indefinite period of time to allow the bacteria and enzymes to digest whatever is in the tank and liquefy it. Considering the time of year, I'm not sure where you are located, but up north it is getting cold at night and I've already winterized, but if your weather is still above freezing, throwing in a bottle of tank cleaner or sensor cleaner and a reasonable amount of water in your black tank and letting time work on it should do the trick.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Handling “hard dried stuff” in the black tank ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.