|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> My wife is gonna kill me, please help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/21 02:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simple check: make sure the circuit breaker to the outlet hasn't been tripped. With a 110 outlet, if you have any other electric devices on the same circuit, the heating element of the fireplace could be enough to trip it.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/21 04:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

She already knows what you're up to. She's just setting the trap tighter as you go. Have fun.

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/21 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is clear the Fireplace is in the RV which is plugged into the house

I say again get a 3 light tester and while at it an adapter so you can plug the 3LT into a 30 amp outlet (50's are a bit more complex)
Plug into other outlets in the RV GREEN-GREEN-Dark good, anything else bad DARK DARK DARK diagnostic (No power to trailer)

if the Fireplace has a plug.. replace the plug with the 3LT in that outlet Same comments GREEN GREEN Dark good any other combination bad..> DARK DARK DARK diagnostic, no 120 to outlet.

There may be a fuse in the fireplace as well. But if the 3LT test is good then you need a multi-meter. And someone who knows how to use it.

If you don't mind about a 3,000 mile hike I can test it but alas.. 3,000 is a bit of a hike.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/21 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Boon Docker wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Boon Docker wrote:

This thread is pretty funny.
People are still telling the OP to check things in the trailer.
Even after the OP indicated that the fireplace was plugged into an outlet in the house and still wouldn't work. [emoticon]

Here's the comment:

Jerry, thanks. Yes, I have it plugged into an outlet right now, at our house, as well as having 2 brand new deep cycle batteries installed. The owner told me it was electric only, as opposed to propane.

It's not real clear as to it referring to the fireplace being plugged into an outlet or the RV being plugged into the outlet. That they mentioned having 2 new batteries in the same sentence suggests to me that they are saying the RV is plugged into an outlet at their house.

The question just previous to that reply was: "Do you have power going to it either 12 V or 120?"
To me the OP response to that question was pretty obvious that it was the fireplace that was plugged in. [emoticon]

JTMills wrote:

The RV is plugged into our home outlet/110.

Now we finally know for sure, no more confusion. Good!

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/21 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fire place may be "plugged in" to one of the outlet circuits and not hardwired to it's own circuit.

If using a plugin setup it might be possible the plug has worked loose from the outlet. Outlet may be hidden behind the fireplace.

If sharing one of the outlet circuits, check to make sure all the outlets in your RV are supplying power. Some outlets are GFCI protected and GFCI may have tripped removing power from the fireplace. Test/reset all GFCIs.

As others mentioned, there is a possibility that the fireplace is sharing a circuit of another high wattage device like A/C or microwave oven. Some setups have a switch which only allows one high wattage device to be used at a time. Look around for any 120V switch which would not be a normal thing in a RV, typically most items in a RV are 12V and use low voltage switches (not normal 120V home type switches).

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/21 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

Fire place may be "plugged in" to one of the outlet circuits and not hardwired to it's own circuit.

If using a plugin setup it might be possible the plug has worked loose from the outlet. Outlet may be hidden behind the fireplace.

True! Ours is plugged in but the cord and outlet are just outside it so it can be reached easily. Good point.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

miltvill

Ft. Lauderdale FL

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plug the fireplace into an extension cord that is plugged directly into the house 110 outlet. That way you can eliminate your RV as the problem. Or plug something else into the outlet your fireplace plugs into and see if it works.

If that does not work then put $10 or $20 dollars a week away until you have enough money to purchase a new fireplace. DW will never know. Then have a friend order the fireplace on their card and give them the money.

2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

miltvill wrote:

If that does not work then put $10 or $20 dollars a week away until you have enough money to purchase a new fireplace. DW will never know. Then have a friend order the fireplace on their card and give them the money.

Honesty is often the best policy but honesty takes considerable trust between two people.

Dishonesty is easy and cheap but when caught in a lie, it will never be forgotten.

Pretty fair chance if you told the DW the truth she would go out and mash the button and it would turn on [emoticon]

Pretty sad state of affairs that one must hide an issue from their spouse over a $100 electric heater that for no reason isn't working [emoticon]

Things happen, things break, things can be fixed or replaced but trust in a relationship is extremely difficult to repair after being broken from lies.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/21 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree. I'd add that as the fireplace was a deal breaker for the wife, she is extremely unlikely to not check it out during the 5-20 weeks for the OP to "put $10 or $20 dollars a week away" until he has enough money to purchase a new fireplace.

Better idea for the OP is to simply tell the wife about the fireplace not working and that you figured it was better to buy this RV and get a new fireplace, then to wait who knows how long for another decent RV with a working fireplace.

JTMills

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/21 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All, sorry for not replying sooner. Cats out of the bag. She knows. The issue has yet to be resolved and she has called in her own reinforcements. We are not currently speaking and my father-in-law will be taking care of the issue from here on out. I don’t know what it will entail, but I want to thank all of you for rendering aid to this wounded soldier during my time of need. We fought a good fight. I will update you with the diagnosis as Im made aware of it. I don’t know when ‘he’ is coming, remember, my wife and I are not speaking. Mostly it’s just my wife not speaking. Your input has been valued and I look forward to returning the favor. As you have learned, Im not as RV savvy as you and will likely be of no help, but I will be here nonetheless. God Bless

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> My wife is gonna kill me, please help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.