RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Which Hitch do I buy?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Which Hitch do I buy?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Road Phantom

pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/21 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Truck: 2018 Ram 2500 diesel 4X4. Crew, short bed.

I'm working with a Dealer for the purchase of a new 26' Grand Design TT
that weighs around 5000lbs and 7000 GVWR. I need a recommendation for the hitch. I heard Reese was a good one. I would also like to have a little overkill in the event that we trade up to a larger trailer in the future. Thanks for you help.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/21 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like my Husky Centerline TS with 1200 lb when towing a 10k car hauler with a 7400 lb blue tractor. The tractor on the trailer is right at 11' 10" tall....very top heavy load. Real pleased with the hitch. Tracks the truck like my GN and 5th wheel trailers now.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/21 12:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had many years of success hard towing my 28 foot 5000lb R-Vision Trail cruiser in Rockies and western mountains using a Equalizer WDH that is easy to setup with no chains except safety chains of course. Has the square anti sway bars instead of the chains connected to sway bars.

Angle and height of the hitch ball is very adjustable.

WayneAt63044

St. Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/21 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I started with the Equal-i-zer 4 point rated at 1,200 lbs for my 7,800 lbs GVWR trailer. The square receiver for one of the bars cracked after 6 years. I upgraded to the 1,400 lbs Equal-i-zer and it works fine with a margin for a heavier trailer. Using gross rule-of-thumb numbers, tongue weight of your trailer at 15% is 1,050 lbs. You would need the 1,200 at a minimum. I recommend the 1,400.

2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

Brandon the Traveler

SC, NY, PA, WV

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/21 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't buy anything with that truck and Trailer other than a drawbar and ball. Drop it on the ball and go. I bet you would be hard pressed to find a contractor anywhere, hauling equipment on a trailer with the same model truck, that weighs a lot more using a WDH. He'll be using a pintle.

I went.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/21 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brandon the Traveler wrote:

I wouldn't buy anything with that truck and Trailer other than a drawbar and ball. Drop it on the ball and go. I bet you would be hard pressed to find a contractor anywhere, hauling equipment on a trailer with the same model truck, that weighs a lot more using a WDH. He'll be using a pintle.

Let’s go Brandon!! Lol

I agree, with the exception being if it’s an ill-performing trailer.
However you’ll find that me, you and like 2.5 other people on this forum believe what you just said, and the rest think that a wdh with sway control is an absolute necessity in virtually every scenario.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/21 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I would give it a go without a w/d hitch too. Make sure the tires are aired up, the tongue has adequate weight, and go exploring. See how it goes. Maybe fill the fresh water for a trip, then fill the grey and empty the fresh. You should be well informed after that. JMHO

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/21 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have a 2500 Ram CTD , for me the WDH is unnecessary . Try it without ! Spend the money on whiskey , cigarettes
and wild woman !

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/21 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Road Phantom wrote:

My Truck: 2018 Ram 2500 diesel 4X4. Crew, short bed.

I'm working with a Dealer for the purchase of a new 26' Grand Design TT
that weighs around 5000lbs and 7000 GVWR. I need a recommendation for the hitch. I heard Reese was a good one. I would also like to have a little overkill in the event that we trade up to a larger trailer in the future. Thanks for you help.
Overkill when selecting a WD hitch is not desireable.
The hitch bars are working springs that need to be strong enough to transfer the correct amount of weight, yet weak enough to bend when needed such as entering driveways etc. So stronger than needed is bad...In fact some TT manufacturers actually state limits on how strong the bars can be based on the size of the TTs frame.

WD hitches are like shoes. It you are a size 10, then a size 13 won't work very well. The right size is the right size.

Buy the size you need now. If at some point in the future you get a larger TT, then sell your old hitch and buy the right one for your new TT.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1380watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountryC CD/A 4X4 DRW

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/21 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As for those advocating that you not use a WD hitch at all as you have a stout truck....

I have been towing with 1 ton crewcab long bed dually diesels since 2000. I can tell the difference in handling that a single washer or chain link makes in a lashup.

I like my lashups the best they can be... Not just good enough.
There have been some occasions when I was glad I did not settle for less.

So although your truck may be capable of towing without a WD hitch, it will be better with one.

Others may have different expectations as to what is acceptable.. It is a free country. YMMV

* This post was last edited 10/17/21 07:54pm by Huntindog *   View edit history

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Small TT's

> Which Hitch do I buy?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.