RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Cold weather, generators, and campgrounds

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Cold weather, generators, and campgrounds

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I mostly see failure to offer assistance to those with less knowledge and experience.
What happened to helping others? Today most want to be angry at something.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure those not following the rules were far more experienced than me. And it was way more than one camper anyway. I'm new enough I still thought that campers might actually follow the rules.

And at 2:30am there isn't much anyone could have done except help them to pack up and give them directions to a warmer climate so they could camp in comfort.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And another 4 pages of proof of how fickle some people can be….
Call LEOs at 2:30am because of a generator running? Seriously?
Was it rude? Yes, sounds like it.
Although 15deg with a wind could suck down a camper battery pretty quick if unprepared.
But then we’re not all the “perfectly prepared” campers that the rvnet royalty profess to be.
Would it be more palatable if you knew some of the gennys were running to keep someone’s newborn baby warm while the new parents were trying to experience camping? (This argument is like the wdh argument, can never be too safe, right? Lol)
Or would it be ok if it was a couple old folks who needed to stay warm or their cpap died? (Cpaps ARE figuratively the wdhs of the medical world…hahaha)

Or is it better to sit in anger and just “know” that some delinquent is running their genny just to ruin your night and they’re probably playing xbox at 2 am and that’s what used up their battery?

See, many different scenarios.
All are a rude reason, inherently, to disturb others, so maybe should call the cops!!

Maybe I’m blessed to be a heavy sleeper. Or maybe I just have more/more important things to worry about and occupy my time with. So maybe it’s just me…

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

tommyznr

NR, WI

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My cartoon bubble:

#1: Man did you hear all those generators last night cycling on and off? I hardly slept a wink.

#2 Uhh, that was our furnace fan cycling on and off all night.

In my rig the furnace cycling would be much louder than any generator noise sourced from "many" surrounding camp sites with the RV buttoned up to keep out the cold. In fact, I cannot imagine hearing a nearby generator from the inside of my RV in these conditions. Note that I am not a fan of generators in campgrounds even during the day.

As for the "rules are rules" folks, rules are at the discretion of the enforcing authority to enforce as they see fit.

Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tommyznr wrote:

My cartoon bubble:

#1: Man did you hear all those generators last night cycling on and off? I hardly slept a wink.

In my rig the furnace cycling would be much louder than any generator noise sourced from "many" surrounding camp sites with the RV buttoned up to keep out the cold. In fact, I cannot imagine hearing a nearby generator from the inside of my RV in these conditions. Note that I am not a fan of generators in campgrounds even during the day.

As for the "rules are rules" folks, rules are at the discretion of the enforcing authority to enforce as they see fit.

I have to agree with you, two neighbouring trailers with furnaces cycling make more noise than my Honda 2k eu.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tommyznr wrote:

My cartoon bubble:

yup furnace is noisy, that is why we have a setback thermostat, set to 50F at night, set to 70 at 6:30AM as our "alarm clock" in 30 minutes trailer is then reasonably warm. Quilt keeps us comfy.

Personally I don't get a good nights sleep if the furnace is set to a temp that has it cycling during the night. Keeps waking me up.

But the outside noise from a furnace (at least both of our trailer furnaces) is NOT very loud at all, hard to hear even 10ft away. But nearby generator definitely can be heard inside the trailer.

IMHO in a designated campground running a generator at night is an extreme example of selfishness and inconsideration for others. It's an "I'm more important than you" message to me. Just plain rude.

Boondocking with no one else around, go for it,

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tommyznr wrote:

In my rig the furnace cycling would be much louder than any generator noise sourced from "many" surrounding camp sites with the RV buttoned up to keep out the cold.
Gas water heaters are also very loud, especially at 3am. When they initially fire up it sounds like an explosion. I don't know why people leave them on all the time, or if they even know they're on. They must be deaf.

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/21 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What “help” does someone need to follow the “no generators after 9 pm” rule?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/21 03:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

tommyznr wrote:

In my rig the furnace cycling would be much louder than any generator noise sourced from "many" surrounding camp sites with the RV buttoned up to keep out the cold.
Gas water heaters are also very loud, especially at 3am. When they initially fire up it sounds like an explosion. I don't know why people leave them on all the time, or if they even know they're on. They must be deaf.

I leave mine on because when I have to get up and pee at 3 am, washing my hands in cold water is excruciating due to my arthritis. And waiting for a pot of water to heat up at 3 am so I can wash my hands is just not conducive to getting back to sleep quickly.

But I never run a furnace or a generator, I never leave lights on all night, I never have loud music or drunken parties or fights, etc.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

MT BOB

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

tommyznr wrote:

Yep, on all. Me, living in the mountains, and not used to much noise, insulated and sealed up old camper,so it is much warmer, AND put in a thermostat that I set to come on at 45, turn off at 65. Just last week, camping on the prairie,30 at night,sometimes wind, furnace would come on 1 time, 2 times when there was 30-60 mph winds.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 05:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

I leave mine on because ....
Even on hookups I'm surprised to hear those heaters. I guess some RVs are gas only.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Cold weather, generators, and campgrounds
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.