RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Cold weather, generators, and campgrounds

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Cold weather, generators, and campgrounds

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cptqueeg

Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 04/11/2020

View Profile



Posted: 10/17/21 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

2oldman wrote:

cptqueeg wrote:

So yes I agree that I should avoid campgrounds as much as possible.
I don't know if you need to go that far, but at the very least I would do my best to avoid extreme cold.


Or pick less crowded campgrounds. I camp in winter with nighttime temps below 45 degrees and have never experienced generator use like that.




Well that's a good point about the crowding, but this campground wasn't crowded other than 1 loop. The campground seemed to be fully open but for some reason all the new arrivals, yes many late in the night were on Loop B where we were. While many of the other loops were very sparsely occupied.

cptqueeg

Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 04/11/2020

View Profile



Posted: 10/17/21 05:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NamMedevac 70 wrote:



Well said and especially if they are traveling in groups such as the ones I encountered in SP in southern Oregon and at other locations. They were driving and not from Oregon but a neighboring state and not NV or Wash. On the happy side they had to spend much of their time trouble shooting technical problems with the mobile RV repairman and unable to do any R&R for long time. They can be a real .Cheers to you.


So they were from Idaho?

toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/17/21 05:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

2oldman wrote:

cptqueeg wrote:

So yes I agree that I should avoid campgrounds as much as possible.
I don't know if you need to go that far, but at the very least I would do my best to avoid extreme cold.


Or pick less crowded campgrounds. I camp in winter with nighttime temps below 45 degrees and have never experienced generator use like that.




Well that's a good point about the crowding, but this campground wasn't crowded other than 1 loop. The campground seemed to be fully open but for some reason all the new arrivals, yes many late in the night were on Loop B where we were. While many of the other loops were very sparsely occupied.


I would have asked to move to another loop that first morning.


1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

cptqueeg

Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 04/11/2020

View Profile



Posted: 10/17/21 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

cptqueeg wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

2oldman wrote:

cptqueeg wrote:

So yes I agree that I should avoid campgrounds as much as possible.
I don't know if you need to go that far, but at the very least I would do my best to avoid extreme cold.


Or pick less crowded campgrounds. I camp in winter with nighttime temps below 45 degrees and have never experienced generator use like that.




Well that's a good point about the crowding, but this campground wasn't crowded other than 1 loop. The campground seemed to be fully open but for some reason all the new arrivals, yes many late in the night were on Loop B where we were. While many of the other loops were very sparsely occupied.


I would have asked to move to another loop that first morning.


The first time by the camp site I pulled around and instinct told me I wasn't in a good spot, but I didn't want to be a "complainer" and tried to make the best of it. At that point I wasn't fully aware of exactly how empty most of the campground was otherwise I would have insisted on a switch immediately.

cptqueeg

Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 04/11/2020

View Profile



Posted: 10/17/21 08:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildtoad wrote:

Sounds like the park ranger and/or camp host need to do a better job of informing everyone generators are not allowed at set times for ANY reason. Assuming there is cell service, a phone number to contact ranger should be provided for people to report someone who violates the rule AND is causing a problem. If the offender is five or six sites away, not sure it affects me. I don’t believe a camp host is the person to address the issue at 2:30 in the morning.



Agreed, LEO is the only way to handle this. Hopefully they remember to check overnight activity next season. Unfortunately no cell service.

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 06/22/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/17/21 09:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

regardless of allowed generator run times, If I'm camping anywhere near anyone else, I NEVER start the generator before around 10AM and ALWAYS havew it shut it off no later than 4pm. And I seldom need to run it for more than a hour or so.

Even if it gets down well below freezing our trailer, which is NOT a 4 season trailer only needs the furnace to run for an hour or so during the night, a good quilt and we are comfy. Come prepared, doesn't take much.

Rules are rules, they are clearly posted for virtually every campground, come prepared and abide by them. Same thing for those who seem to think only one vehicle allowed doesn't apply to them, or no parking on the grass doesn't apply to them. Only sympathy I have is for the authorities that have to deal with such arrogance.


2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!


Skibane

San Antonio, TX

Senior Member

Joined: 11/09/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/17/21 09:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

Those that are camping should have enough sense to make sure they have a battery bank good enough to last through the night. Throw on an extra quilt, turn the thermstat to 50F and most any battery will last through the night even if it dips below freezing.


Yep.

I see a lot of potential failure in this situation:

- Failure to completely recharge the batteries during daytime hours.

- Failure to leave enough reserve in the battery to get you through the night.

- Failure to properly maintain your batteries, or to replace them when they no longer have more than a small fraction of their original capacity.

- Failure to use a heat source that conserves battery power (or doesn't use any battery power at all).

Every one of these failures is the RVer's fault, and is entirely preventable.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/17/21 09:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I mostly see failure to offer assistance to those with less knowledge and experience.
What happened to helping others? Today most want to be angry at something.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/17/21 10:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I mostly see failure to offer assistance to those with less knowledge and experience.
What happened to helping others? Today most want to be angry at something.


How should the OP have helped these folks? Should he have gone around knocking on doors and offering extra bedding? Should he have provided batteries?

Help is always great, but this isn't a matter of one RVer forgetting to bring warm bedding or having their battery die. This is about multiple RVers choosing to ignore the rules for convenience.

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

Senior Member

Joined: 11/09/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/18/21 12:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

How should the OP have helped these folks? Should he have gone around knocking on doors and offering extra bedding? Should he have provided batteries?

Help is always great, but this isn't a matter of one RVer forgetting to bring warm bedding or having their battery die. This is about multiple RVers choosing to ignore the rules for convenience.


And it's not like help isn't readily available on the internet to anyone who makes the effort to seek it.

This isn't about a scarcity of know-how - It's about people too lazy to watch a YouTube video, or post an inquiry on an RV forum.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Cold weather, generators, and campgrounds
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.