|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> In a quandary

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/21 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before I even start, I know this is a hot-button topic. Please be civil and accept the fact that there will be differing opinions. DON'T make it personal!

I am in a quandary like so many others. The holidays are coming and decisions need to be made about family gatherings. The majority of the family is vaccinated. However, there a few who are not. Do we risk attending family gatherings where most are vaccinated but not everyone? Do we throw caution to the wind and see them? Or do we spend yet another Thanksgiving and Christmas with just my son and future DIL? I guess at this point it comes down to risk vs reward. I am so tired of existing and not living, as many of us are. Life is short but do I want to risk shortening it even more? Thoughts?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

rk911

DuPage County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/21 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if we were in your shoes we would happily see the family and make it a normal holiday. i wouldn’t characterize it as “throwing caution to the wind” makes it sound far more risky than i belive it to be. there is risk in everything starting with waking up and getting out of bed in the morning. driving is risky, too. see your family and enjoy the season.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

d3500ram

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/21 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go ahead and freely associate.
If you are vaxxed then you have nothing to worry about. That what getting jabbed is all about.

The only way to get back to normal is to not live in fear of everything.

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/21 06:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You do have a difficult decision. Being vaccinated, even with the booster, is not 100% protection. We face the same decision within our family with a handful that are not vaccinated. We do NOT gather inside with those not vaccinated. Hopefully they will take the step so we can be together as in the past.

We, for over a year, have chosen to do what we can to protect ourselves and others and are not going to stop now. Unfortunately, some of our family has not; it is on their shoulders, not ours; as sad as it is.

* This post was edited 10/17/21 06:51pm by Moderator *

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/21 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ultimately, it is of course your decision.

The chances of an unvaccinated person causing any significant problems for a vaccinated one are quite slim; you're much less likely to catch the disease, and if you do catch it, much less likely to have any serious illness from it. The main worry would be for the unvaccinated person, and presumably they've already weighed the pros and cons (as they see them) for themselves, and are prepared to live with whatever consequences they have.

On the other hand, the restrictions on what we do--whether self-imposed or mandated by authorities--are cutting some portion of the living out of our lives. At what point is potentially saving some people's life worth removing 5% or whatever of the life of everyone else? That's a really, really hard question to answer--and I don't know that I could answer it, and I am glad I don't have to be in a position like a governor to have to make it. But, I think if it were me in your shoes, I would readily say that family takes priority over the very small risk to my own health, just as I would say that family takes priority over the small risk of being in a car crash while driving there, etc. However, as I said at first, it's not me deciding for you.

Dozer

Santa Clarita, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 01:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's a reason Polio and Small Pox are gone!

Follow your gut and stick with it!

Best of luck Dozer!

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 04:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think about it for a minute, from this POV. The man that did the most to make Covid 19 something to fight over, instead of something to fight against required people that wanted to come to his public parties sign a release. "If we catch it, we will not sue you"
I assume that any person that has not taken the vaccine, it is likely they do not take other precautions. If they bring the virus to your get-together your vaccine will protect you, but will do nothing for your grandkids.
By now I know who in the family are not vaccinated . All of the family with kids, and most of the others will be avoiding them.

* This post was edited 10/18/21 09:18am by an administrator/moderator *

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 04:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are too many variables for anyone of us to provide guidance based upon our circumstances that would be appropriate for yours. Here are some things I would suggest you consider.

What underlying conditions do family members have that make them more susceptible to getting sick and/or getting a severe case?

My father is a lung cancer survivor with part of his lung removed and is prone to bronchitis. We will be more cautious than a family where members don’t have underlying conditions.

What are the case rates where people will be coming from?

We would be hesitant for our family member in AK to come compared to family members in MD.

What are the behaviors of those coming when they are in indoor public spaces?

Will they be going to bars & restaurants (where mask wearing is very difficult) to celebrate with friends and coworkers before them come for the holidays or do they always wear a mask indoors in public spaces and do take out or eat outdoors at restaurants? This is especially important if case rates are high.

* This post was edited 10/18/21 06:18am by BCSnob *

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 06:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There IS the science of it. I follow it, but others have a problem with it.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/21 06:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All points well taken. In doing the "risk vs. reward" and analyzing factors such as BCSnob suggested we will most like get together with family.

I would readily say that family takes priority over the very small risk to my own health, just as I would say that family takes priority over the small risk of being in a car crash while driving there, etc. However, as I said at first, it's not me deciding for you.

I am at the highest risk of all due to being diabetic. It is ironic, though, that you chose the car analogy. Last Saturday we were driving home from Woodstock, VT, decided to take the scenic route rather than get on the highway and got rear-ended on Rt. 4 in Endfield, NH due to a flock of turkeys who chose an inopportune time to cross the road. We are fine, just a little sore, and my Grand Cherokee did not appear to sustain a lot of damage. The 18 year old who hit us (not distracted, was paying full attention just did not react in time) now has a totaled car. Thankfully he was not hurt either.

Being cautious is one thing. Living in fear is another. Life MUST go on.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> In a quandary
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.