RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: 8531 /Burner Issue UPDATE--Photos ( Fixed!)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 8531 /Burner Issue UPDATE--Photos ( Fixed!)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. I have the older three-prong type with the sensor separate from the sparker, but same idea. I will get at it later.

Don't like when it cuts out--suspense until it cuts in again. Would hate to have to come home from camping early if the furnace quits entirely.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got some photos I hope you techs can interpret.

">][image]

Side view of three-prong above burner screen- can't bend them down closer

">][image]

Top view--screen not rusted out, fairly new burner head.

">][image]

The spade where the black wire goes on is rusty except it is shiny where it was covered by the black wire's terminal--I can't tell if the rusty outside part on the shiny probe part sticking out is clean inside making good contact or not. I will clean the end but can't do anything about where it is on the probe. The black wire seems ok but don't know where it goes to back towards the circuit board--clean that end too if I can find it?

EDIT--black wire to plug on edge of board--cleaned board contacts and plug--didn't seem to need it.

The rusty plate screwed on that holds the three probes has some kind of white stuff on it you see there so it is not making contact with the other metal part there (if it is supposed to) except maybe with the two screws. Is that the ground I am worried about?

* This post was edited 10/18/21 02:57pm by BFL13 *

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would clean the mounting plate of the rust. Make sure it has good ground contact.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

I would clean the mounting plate of the rust. Make sure it has good ground contact.

Is the "mounting plate" the part that has the three prongs and has the white stuff between it and the other metal part? Do I scrape off the white backing stuff and try for metal to metal?

I could shim that so the prongs are tilted down more to the screen if that would help

EDIT-- looks like a papery sort of gasket--maybe it is supposed to be there and I better not scrape it off?

">][image]

Here it is --no gasket? I will try for the other part to see if it has it.

https://www.amazon.com/Atwood-36998-Hydr........e+burner+assembly&qid=1634592763&sr=8-10

* This post was last edited 10/18/21 03:36pm by BFL13 *   View edit history

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing special about the probes, generally there is nothing to go wrong with them.

Detection issues tends to be more with lack of good flame, lack of good connection from control board to ground or bad control board.

Flame must be correct with the probe inside the blue portion of the flame. Incomplete combustion results in poor burning flame which results in less or no blue portion and less or no conduction on the probe.

Best to use diagnostic info in the link I posted which measures the current flowing through the detector rod.

If flame detect current checks out then issue most likely is the control board failing.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do not remove the gasket. Clean area wher screw makes contact to the plate. Gasket is probably like an asbestos material.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could be the control board--I did just clean the edge contacts so have to try that first when I put this thing back together.

Found the other metal part in my spares box--it has the white gasket in better shape than the one in use. Now I don't know if the gasket should be better or keep using the one there now. What is it for?

Ok, do the screws make a ground contact between the two pieces of metal so the idea is to clean where the underside of the screw tops touch the plate? (And the underside of the screw tops as needed.)

">][image]

MT BOB

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes it is a gasket,it is sold separately-- 32172
You have 1 probe,1 igniter, and 1 ground for the igniter. All 3 should be closer to the burner. What you do to bend them is use 2 pair of pliers,go further up the "shafts", hold with 1 pliers and bend with other. Keep the distance the same between the igniter and it's ground. Do not bend by just pushing on them,you can break the ceramic insulator they are mounted in.
As far as other issues,you also may have the snap switch going bad, they can do strange things,
and,I believe your voltage differential is not good.

(it matters not where you bend them)

MT BOB

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes,the ground for the igniter is through the screws, make sure there is a clean connection.

MT BOB

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/21 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The gasket is to keep fumes out of your camper.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 8531 /Burner Issue UPDATE--Photos ( Fixed!)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.