RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Gasser guys and gals ...why not a diesel ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Gasser guys and gals ...why not a diesel ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/21 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maintenance? My DP has about 91,00mi on it. Change oil & filters including Gen once a year, about $200. Had to replace the heater core and some refrigerator issues (gassers have those also). So what is the maintenance issue? Just wait till that V-10 blows out a spark plug. My F-350 diesel has 165,000mi on it and nothing has went wrong that has anything to do with it being a diesel. Not many gassers go over 200k without serious problems. But the gas ones are a little cheaper and a lot of that is reflected in the quality of the "house" part as well as the drive train.

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/21 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Maintenance? My DP has about 91,00mi on it. Change oil & filters including Gen once a year, about $200. Had to replace the heater core and some refrigerator issues (gassers have those also). So what is the maintenance issue?

Servicing a just-lift-the-hood truck diesel is much easier than servicing an under-the-bed RV diesel. So much so that I've found that truck service places hate to work on RV diesels because they literally have to climb on top of them for some issues. That's why they'll often charge more for RV service.

Ever replace a side radiator on a RV diesel? I'm guessing not.

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Just wait till that V-10 blows out a spark plug.

My mechanic says only replace these @ 100k miles . . . and don't let a backyard mechanic do it unless they know the difference between 2 and 3 turn spark plug engine models. In other words, it's easy to hose up V10 spark plug replacement unless you know what you're doing.

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Not many gassers go over 200k without serious problems. But the gas ones are a little cheaper and a lot of that is reflected in the quality of the "house" part as well as the drive train.

Got some actual data on these outrageous statements?

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 gasser)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 gasser)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/21 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had both and prefer gas.

The DP rides and drives better but the gas rides and drives just fine.

A DP can tow a heavier toad but my gasser tows my toad just fine.

A DP can climb a hill faster but I'm in no hurry and haven't found the hill yet that my gasser can't climb.

I've been stranded by DP's on the side of the road on more than one occasion but in 21 years, I've never been stranded by a gasser.

We normally drive less than 200 miles per day so driver fatigue is not really an issue.

I don't think I'd ever have another DP because I just don't have a gasser problem that needs a DP to solve.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/21 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hear the "million mile chassis" line and variants on it all the time.

Go look at the classifieds at the DP listings, the vast majority have pretty low mileage on them.

hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/21 02:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Not many gassers go over 200k without serious problems.

Not many motorhomes of any kind go over 200k miles at all. I think the average motorhome goes like 4K mile a year. A few exceptions of course but very few motorhomes die because of mileage.

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/21 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, back in 2002 when we started our research, we were shopping for our first RV of any kind. We started looking for a small hybrid to tow behind our Honda Odyssey. After more than 2 years of research, we decided on a gas Class A which we use to tow our Odyssey.

OBVIOUSLY, we went WAY OVER our original budget. But desire for adequate space for a growing family of 6 and my requirement that we have a rig which operated within it's chassis limits, ultimately put us in the gas Class A market. We ended up with the rig in my signature and 17 years later we STILL love the dual sofa/dual slide layout and it's worked well for our family for all of these years. It pays to do your homework, and we owe many folks on these forums a debt of gratitude for their advice during those years.

Initially, when I mentioned "Class A" to my wife and told her it was the style that "looked like a bus", she immediately was turned off by the idea. Why? She thought all Class A's were diesel, and she didn't want a diesel (mostly the odor). When I explained that there are gas Class A models too, all was well. (I was fortunate in that she DID let me buy my diesel Kubota tractor 4 years earlier! [emoticon] )

But back then, family & friends thought we were crazy for spending that much money with a growing family (7, 3, 2 & 10 months) period. Let alone spending more.

A decent quality diesel motorhome back then would've added well over $40k to our already over-extended budget. It just wasn't going to happen. I also noticed at that time that there WERE some diesel Class A's available which were only about $20k more. BUT...they were "cheapened" to attract those who only shop on price. I did look at a few of these. The cabinetry looked really cheap...much more so than our (upgraded) hardwood cabinets in our gas Class A, and they typically had a propane generator instead of diesel unit (a definite "NO" in my book), and they were on a "less than optimal" chassis. In general, the entire interior looked inferior to what we'd be getting with the gasser we selected. In other words, not really an "attractive" diesel option, in my book.

We hope to keep our Class A gasser for quite some time, BUT, I am keeping an open mind and occasionally search the internet for a nicely kept 20-25 year old Prevost motorhome within our price range. I could be persuaded, at that point, to purchase a diesel. If the wife lets me. [emoticon]

But until that day, our gas Class A has been pretty much the ideal motorhome for our family and budget and I expect it to be able to continue in that role for quite some time.

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (24-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (20), 2 boys (21 & 18).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/21 03:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Maintenance? My DP has about 91,00mi on it. Change oil & filters including Gen once a year, about $200. Had to replace the heater core and some refrigerator issues (gassers have those also). So what is the maintenance issue? Just wait till that V-10 blows out a spark plug. My F-350 diesel has 165,000mi on it and nothing has went wrong that has anything to do with it being a diesel. Not many gassers go over 200k without serious problems. But the gas ones are a little cheaper and a lot of that is reflected in the quality of the "house" part as well as the drive train.

The V-10 plug blowing issue went away in 03 with a cylinder head redesign.
The V-10 will go well over 200k even 400k without issues. They have been proven to be reliable.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/21 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

ferndaleflyer wrote:

The V-10 plug blowing issue went away in 03 with a cylinder head redesign.
The V-10 will go well over 200k even 400k without issues. They have been proven to be reliable.

We have had numerous F series (350 to 550) trucks, all with V10’s, in our fleet and rarely were they replaced (accidents, job change, etc) before they had well over 200k on them. Other than a couple of flukes (rad hose blew, oil cooler line blew, engine did too) none of them ever had any engine issues.

None of them lead an easy life, ever.

mountainkowboy

Socal/NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/21 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never had a diesel Moho, but have had many diesel trucks and drove them all my life for work. I'm on my 3rd gasser, the V10 has proven itself to be fairly bulletproof. It's hard to find a 30' diesel Moho with 2 slides, and the V10 tows just fine for what I need. 300 miles a day is the "all in" drive, and Tiffin makes a decent coach.

Oh yeah, we "stole" this coach, this will be our last RV unless it gets totaled somehow.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/21 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cost - Roughly $100k more. Fuel more expensive. Maintenance more expensive. My gasser with liquid springs rides quite nicely.

Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Gasser guys and gals ...why not a diesel ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.