RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Gasser guys and gals ...why not a diesel ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Gasser guys and gals ...why not a diesel ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/21 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as yo don’t go over 38’ in length you do not need a diesel.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/21 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LandYacht35diesel wrote:

....I’ve seen some people state that they have avoided a diesel .... why so ?

Hi LandYacht35diesel,

I've had both. The diesel got slightly better mileage--but the cost was higher because additives needed to be used in every tank of fuel. (Diesel is cheaper than gas in Canada).

The diesel was old from 1987. I once had it freeze to the ground in the storage yard--and it would not "break free". I had many mechanical issues with the diesel.

I've had one issue in 150,000 miles on my current gas V-10.

The 1987 cost about $0.25 per mile for maintenance. Parts were becoming hard to find.

The V-10 has had one mass flow air sensor. I've owned it since 2009. It is a 2004.

I'd never consider diesel again.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/21 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry people didn't mean to be so hard on you gas people. I only owned 1 gas and since then 3 DPs mainly because I couldn't stand the engine noise under my feet. All my DPs have been high end starting with a Winnebago Luxor and 2 Monacos since. Never had to replace a side radiator but had to replace the rear one in the Winnebago. Wasn't expensive and done in a day. Mr Tech, where is your "DATA"? 3/4 of the time I now tow a 32ft enclosed trailer with a car in there and I like POWER. If I want to ride I have to buy fuel as we all do and a 450hp Cummins loves fuel at 70mph. Late model gassers are much improved from years ago and I think the el cheapo DPs with the 5.9 cummins and cheap interiors are a thing of the past. I didn't mean to get some of you alls shorts in a knot so take a deep breath and realize we are not all the same nor do we think the same.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had two reasons for going with Gas as opposed to a Big D
$$$$$$$$$$$$ D's cost more
Experience On Gas engines I've done everything from a minor adjustment to a full overhaul. I am not experienced on D's.

And though I did not actually work on the RV's engine.. When others did ..> Well I checked their work. I'd not have known if they fixed a 'd' correctly till later.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diesel is all about performance. In short some are willing to pay extra to experience and enjoy diesel performance.
Others see no value in the diesel experience.
Or they may see some value but are not willing to pay for it.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the simplest answer here..

The coach we wanted was never available with a diesel.

Not that I couldn't put one in, several have done so.

I have run the numbers and the mod would break even at about another 230K miles.

Thanks anyway

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog (one is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For me, cost and justification. If money was no object I'd be driving a Prevost. A lot of us probably would. But while still working and not full timing and the depth of my pockets, a gasser MH suited just fine. Fast forward to our new setup a FW with a diesel truck. It came down to math. I needed a new truck and I keep them for decades. I also knew that the diesel was more capable to the task (not that gas trucks aren't). I also know the diesel truck was more fuel efficient and will hold a higher value (of course you pay more so this may be a wash). I use it everyday, unlike a MH that could sit for weeks at time. So the diesel won in the truck category.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

willald

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/21 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For us, it boils down to several things, most of which have already been stated:

1. Don't like the smell of diesel
2. Don't want the extra expense, both up front and ongoing
3. Don't like the typical diesel floorplans, with main door in front of front seat (makes RV feel like a school bus).
4. Feel more comfortable, familiar maintaining a gas engine than a diesel
5. Prefer engine up front, not underneath rear bedroom like it is with so many diesels
6. Don't want something so massive like many diesels are - 40' is way too long, prefer more like 32' or so (and almost no diesels are built that small)
7. Don't like how the diesel drives (yes I've driven both).

For some specifics around the last one (how a diesel drives vs gas), as I know some won't agree:

A few years ago I test drove a brand new, very powerful diesel pusher RV (had 8.3L Cummins diesel, 380 HP and around 1000 ft-lb of torque as I recall - no slouch). Was considering trading up to such. I remember walking away afterward totally disappointed with how it drove, and seriously wondering why anyone would pay soooo much more $$ for a diesel. I just couldn't see it.

Yes, air suspension and engine in back make it a quieter and smoother ride. However, I found that if you step on the accelerator on a diesel, it lugs, gurgles, and sloooowly gets up to speed. You do the same on a gasser, it drops down a gear, turns a few more RPMs, and it gets going, quickly. It just seemed the diesel had very little throttle response, and was very anemic compared to the gasser V10 I had at the time (and that was compared to a stout, very powerful diesel).

I much prefer the throttle response a gas engine has, even if that means its a little louder up front. When Ford came out a year or two ago with the new F53 chassis with improved handling, and the big 7.3 V8 with even more 'throat' and throttle response...It became even more of a no-brainer decision for us. Ford really narrowed the gap even more with diesel pusher based RVs, when they came out with the new F53.

All that said.....I hope the original poster's intention for this was to truly understand this matter, and not to just stir up yet another 100+ page debate on this subject.

Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis
See it here

Oldtymeflyr

Arapahoe Hills, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We buy size and floor plan. In our case we wanted a unit less that 30 feet. We looked around for a 32-34 dp and did not see anything we liked. Our 30 foot length was important to us.

Frankly the DP's have a lot of fancy features installed that do not suit our taste.

We liked the Winnebago Vista 29V and bought one. Has everything we want, done simply and its well made. My wife likes it. It has the Ford V8 gas fuel engine. Works well does everything we ask of it or will ask of it.

I operate the motor home at a cruise speed of 65 mph. If we want to go faster, well, we would get in the airplane. In the big picture of motorhome travel, we get there at about the same time, give or take a little time, as those units going faster and even much faster. Its time moving, not the speed at which one moves that makes the difference.

RLS7201

Beautyful Downtown Gladstone, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going to go with cost. Right now my gasser transmission is sitting on my garage floor waiting for the replacement to arrive. $3K for the HP tranny and I'm doing the R&R. Couldn't do that at home with a diesel.

Richard

95 Bounder 32H F53
460/528 stroker
Web Master
MWPSchooners.com
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Gasser guys and gals ...why not a diesel ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.