RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Alignment...I think!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Alignment...I think!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
SH

Lynden, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/21 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So...brand new tires, a 3000 mile trip and this happens. Tires have worn perfect for the past 15 years. PSI and temps were all good for the entire trip. Got home and washed the rig and saw this wear on the front axle right side. Any ideas as to what the problem is?

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/WfI83GAHQZ2Bgsc7VnncTA.nERMFiG0c0jPuBar2s_ZHY

2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ">

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/21 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Didn't look at the pic but if you don't recall hitting any curbs on the trip, the only change was the tire installation. First make sure the wheel is actually seated properly on the hub. If that looks good, check for damage from improper jacking by the mechanic that may have caused the problem.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is your picture.

[image]

If you will follow these directions exactly, it is very easy to post pictures on our forums. One of our moderators, 1492, developed this photo posting app to post your pictures. It works for other internet sites also. There is no need to have a separate hosting site for your pictures in order to use it.

It is very simple to use.
1. Upload your picture from your computer to the app.
2. Copy the resulting URL.
3. Paste that URL into your post without ANY changes. No additions or deletions.
Your picture will then appear in your post and be properly sized for use on our forums.[emoticon]

I have posted a test thread here for members to try out the app and see how it works. That thread is ONLY for testing however and not for comments on pictures. Good luck.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Lightning55

Pleasanton, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If only one tire is wearing unevenly like that, I would bet it's probably a bent axle rather than a misalignment. It's wearing pretty bad so it should be pretty apparent what's going on.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/21 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SH wrote:

So...brand new tires, a 3000 mile trip and this happens. Tires have worn perfect for the past 15 years. PSI and temps were all good for the entire trip. Got home and washed the rig and saw this wear on the front axle right side. Any ideas as to what the problem is?

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/WfI83GAHQZ2Bgsc7VnncTA.nERMFiG0c0jPuBar2s_ZHY

If you do want to have the alignment checked, do it at a heavy truck shop and not an RV dealer. Surprisingly, it's not stupid expensive, in most cases. Also, if you're using the same 15 y.o. trailer, have you checked your spring hangers and shackles? They could be worn, causing the axle(s) to get sloppy.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 63 Year Member

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/21 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SH wrote:

Could you tell us what brand of tire that is ,I have seen several G614's cup ,and wear like that over on the Montana forum . I ran G614's several years ago ,and they wore somewhat like that on the edges , but it was all four .

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/21 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with Lyle, on place for alignment check, and could be elongated hanger, shackle, or worn out bushing.

Also someone mentioned possible bent axle, from improper jack placement during tire change.

Jerry

MT BOB

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I can tell from that pic, something rubbed against that tire, or a defective tire.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/21 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MT BOB wrote:

From what I can tell from that pic, something rubbed against that tire, or a defective tire.

Once the pic was posted I thought the same thing. Did they install taller tires and is there anything above that tire it could be rubbing on?

MT BOB

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/21 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

MT BOB wrote:

Once the pic was posted I thought the same thing. Did they install taller tires and is there anything above that tire it could be rubbing on?

Or caught something in the wheel well.Would not take long at highway speeds.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Alignment...I think!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.